RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Derailed

Author Topic: Amtrak Derailed
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may be partially or entirely incorrect, but I read something, the other day, regarding pre-1971 thinking. With RPSA in 1970, some thought that Amtrak would not be a separate entity. The freights would operate the locomotive and other operational units, with Amtrak running the coaches, sleepers, and dining car. The freights would lease out the space for Amtrak's usage. You would then have a mixed train where Amtrak would thereby reduce its overhead and operating costs. True? I don't think the freights would have cottoned to that sort of idea.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, on A-Day the situation you outline was essentially correct. Amtrak had entered into "turnkey" purchase of service agreements with the member roads that were to operate trains. They had railroad owned equipment, railroad employed train, engine, and on board service crews. In the northeast, it was business as usual , elsewhere the train's looked the same, but there were a mite fewer of them out there.

Over the years, Amtrak gradually ordered their own equipment and assumed the activities to operate trains themselves.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've often thought the practice of retaining dedicated Amtrak engineers is likely to be expensive - possibly conductors too. In places like deepest Montana and Arizona they may get to drive one or two trains a day for a few hours at a time and then sit and wait it out until the next train comes along. Once the proverbial hits the fan, there are either no resources available because they're stuck on another train or out of service hours law, or Amtrak have to taxi in spare engineers. One hopes they don't have a spare in every one-train-per-day-per-direction crew change point. Any re-routes off scheduled trackage means a pilot is required.

The engineer doesn't much care whether he's hauling self-loading cargo, apples, cars, or oil tankers. (S)He has a train to handle appropriately, as directed by the conductor. So why not enjoy the resource pool of the host railroad with its spares and thus lower costs, without mentioning the U word?

Obviously major corridors like the NEC or the Chicago area is different as they have plenty of Amtrak trains and thus engineer pools.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I deleted the link, in my initial post, as it no longer allows you to read the entire article.

You might give it a try , in a search field, by typing in "How Washington Derailed Amtrak", by Simon Van Zuylen-Wood. You can read the entire article by filling data in the 1x only field. It is an interesting article on Amtrak from 1971 on.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately Richard, it looks like Mr . Google is stumped to find a way around this paywall.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
One quote from the Zulen-Wood article:

"Amtrak did keep los­ing money, but Con­gress kept pay­ing for it. (Haswell, dis­gus­ted with all the los­ing of money, even­tu­ally be­came a vo­cal crit­ic of Amtrak.) The ten­sion between Amtrak’s for-profit man­date and money-los­ing real­ity has al­ways dogged it. In 1997, Con­gress man­dated that Amtrak be­come self-suf­fi­cient by 2002 or get li­quid­ated. It didn’t and it wasn’t. That same year, a gov­ern­ment-com­mis­sioned group called the Amtrak Re­form Coun­cil floated the idea of con­tract­ing out the op­er­a­tion of the North­east Cor­ridor—the one part of Amtrak that ac­tu­ally makes a profit—to private bid­ders. This didn’t hap­pen, either. Three years later, the board of dir­ect­ors—who are ap­poin­ted by the White House and con­firmed by the Sen­ate—fired then”“Amtrak pres­id­ent Dav­id Gunn, an icon­o­clast­ic pub­lic-trans­it guru who had openly ad­mit­ted the com­pany would nev­er be prof­it­able. (“The only good thing about the board they put in,” Gunn says today, “is that they were so in­com­pet­ent, they couldn’t even kill the place.”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have to think that David Gunn made the fatal mistake for a bureaucrat...he tended to be honest.
I think he is now in his late 70's and living in Nova Scotia. If younger, I wonder if he would be considered a successor to Mr. Boardman?

Richard

PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up to the point where the nascent US Postal Service ended the Railway Mail Service, passenger traffic departments lost money, but it was a manageable loss.

Then came the end of the RMS. That was the point where trains had no freight support at all. Hotshot fruit movements had been moved to the freight departments of the railroads, and they simply used second section operations of passenger schedules to move their stuff.

Add to that the speed of the airplane and the flexibility of the auto, and the result was the situation in 1969 which caused Congress to consider and pass RPSA 70.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Wasn't there some talk, Mr. Pullman, a while back concerning allowing Amtrak to handle some mail service in the Northwest. Possibly via the Cascades. Can't remember.

There used to be some thought regarding the possibility of distributing mail by NEC trains. I don't think USPS distribution centers could have handled the job and remain open and functional. I believe former Amtrak president George Warrington thought mail service could help subsidize Amtrak costs but that never worked out. I read where some Amtrak trains had to sit parked for long periods of time waiting for mail cars to be added.

I do wonder, in select areas, if REA could make a comeback? I'm thinking of rural areas, such as towns along the Builder, Zephyr, and SW Chief routes, where easy access by UPS or FEDEX might be limited.

Richard

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page