RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Southwest Chief Derailment - Kansas

Author Topic: Southwest Chief Derailment - Kansas
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Various news outlets have reported that #4 (12) derailed to the West of Dodge City KA. Here is CNN's report:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/14/us/kansas-train-derailment/index.html

There were injuries, but no reports of serious.

This incident occurred on the trackage that BNSF wanted to downgrade for local service and reroute Chief over the Transcon.

Speaking of the Transcon, reportedly #3 (13) was still East of Newton when the incident occurred and is being rerouted over such.

Stay tuned, as more will certainly develop on this story.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Mr Norman, I will put my info here and kill my thread.

See http://www.cbsnews.com/news/amtrak-derailment-in-kansas-5-cars-on-their-side/

Knowing this link will probably disappear in the not so distant future, here are the basic facts:

9 cars, 2 engines, 128 passengers, 14 crew (seems light), location about 20 miles west of Dodge.

speed quoted as about 75 mph (who knows how accurate that is) "5 cars on side" (picture looks like 4 with one tilted about 20 degrees), 27 injuries, "none life threatening"
time: "just after midnight"

Some of the above from other sources than the link, but the like was the most thorough.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's AP coverage carried by the Houston Chronicle

http://www.chron.com/news/us/article/The-Latest-Amtrak-train-derails-in-southwest-6888171.php#photo-9602049

Looks like 3-4 will either A) do the Transcon, B) take the Union Pacific to Denver then divert South for a few days or C) run on an as yet to-be-built shoo-fly. From the photos, either BNSF has to build a shoo-fly siding, or the cars have to be evacuated and the track re-set before service on the traditional Santa Fe can continue.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Harris, nine cars would mean V-Bag, 2 Sleepers, Diner, Lounge, 3 Coaches.

From photos circulated by media, three Coaches, are on their side, Lounge part way, and presumably everything else is upright and maybe even on the rails.

I'd think Amtrak can "live" through its slow season without that equipment. Maybe they can even get the Coaches back for peak season. Worst case; a #370XX Diner-Lounge pinch hits for the Sightseer. Of course, since Auto Train still runs with two Lounges after the threat to cut one off, there is one Sightseer in that pool. Yank it and put a 37- in its place. Nobody will miss it - at least I wouldn't.

Lest we forget; "If you've seen one Pine Tree, you've seen 'em all".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/Amtrak-derailment-in-Gray-County-371944922.html

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I write this, 4(14) is leaving Lamy, NM, with no advertised service disruption. At the same time, 3(14) left Newton, KS, just under an hour late and is somewhere off route in mid New Mexico - presumably the Trans-con but I'm not familiar with its exact routing.

Yesterday's passage of 3 and 4 through the area had both calling at Newton, KS, and Albuquerque, NM but nowhere in between as far as I know. What's curious is that they appear to not have used the Trans-con throughout but taken a side trip to serve Albuquerque. Quite possibly some very rare trackage!

Maybe George Harris can enlighten me with the routing - #3 is near Vaughn, NM currently. If I remember I'll try to find some other nearby town in a couple of hours.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Mayo:
What's curious is that they appear to not have used the Trans-con throughout but taken a side trip to serve Albuquerque. Quite possibly some very rare trackage!

Not really.

Take the transcon down from Newton. Divert at Belen to Albuquergue via Isleta. Wye at ABQ. Reconnect with transcon as normal at Dalies.

I believe this is the normal rerouting when taking the transcon. ABQ is typically a part of any reroute.

Although I've always wondered if there is a permanent line change that ABQ would be cut out in favor of Belen.

This rerouted #3 came by around noon by me (Yorba Linda CA) today.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Chicago scrounged up enough cars for a normal 3 (15) consist. Observed it "of sorts" today, as it was on 2 track with a freight on 3 track, which was waiting for #3 to clear so it could be switched over to 2.

Amtrak gets priority on the Aurora Sub.

Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know consist info of derailed #4?

All I have been able to get so far from online pics was diner 38044 and lead loco 153. A new viewliner II baggage was also in the consist.

Guess this is the first "incident" with a new Viewliner II?

--------------------
Matt

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The latest news says a cattle feed truck hit the track and shifted it about a foot, before the derailment:

http://news.trust.org/item/20160315221731-v3xa7

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Southwest Chief:
quote:
What's curious is that they appear to not have used the Trans-con throughout but taken a side trip to serve Albuquerque. Quite possibly some very rare trackage!

Not really.

Take the transcon down from Newton. Divert at Belen to Albuquergue via Isleta. Wye at ABQ. Reconnect with transcon as normal at Dalies.

I believe this is the normal rerouting when taking the transcon. ABQ is typically a part of any reroute.

Although I've always wondered if there is a permanent line change that ABQ would be cut out in favor of Belen.

This rerouted #3 came by around noon by me (Yorba Linda CA) today.

So this routing has been done on more than a few occasions before? My previous understanding, including that of a permanent de-Ratonification, would be Trans-con all the way - not a side trip to Albuquerque.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
quote:
So this routing has been done on more than a few occasions before?

Yep. Typical way to do it when routing the Chief on the transcon.

However, if the line were to permanently change to the transcon. Then ABQ possibly could be dropped in favor of staying on the mainline through Belen.

But now that they have the new depot in ABQ. And supposedly the wye has been improved, ABQ might have still been on the route even if the line change to the transcon was made...although thankfully it doesn't look like that will happen now.

Here's a map that shows the routing around ABQ:
 -

--------------------
Matt

Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Amtrak and BNSF are suing the Kansas company responsible for the derailment:

News Article Link

--------------------
Matt

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page