RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Guest Rewards

Author Topic: Amtrak Guest Rewards
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should know this, but it's been a while since I earned any points. Are the points awarded when you purchase the ticket (far in advance in my case) or upon completion of the travel? I'm thinking the latter.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You think straight up, Mike.

Any reward plan I know credits points after the travel or stay is completed.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ty, Gil.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The points for travel are awarded when you make the trip, or soon after.
Of course, if you have the credit card and use it when making the purchase, you ALSO get more points when you make your purchase--and if you have the $79 credit card, it's more points for travel purchases.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just used some points for the first time under the new system. Although there are no black out dates they do limit the number of redemptions available for high usage times. So my CS trip, LAX to SEA, had a bedroom available northbound on the Friday before Memorial Day when I looked on Sunday. I didn't book and that was a mistake.

When I went back in to book on Monday the bedroom was not available. So I called and found out why. Moved on to getting two roomettes for northbound and the bedroom that was available for southbound.

Sadly the trip, which would have cost me 40K points under the old system, will cost me 82K points now. But I am excited, haven't taken the CS for a couple of years and always enjoy it. Of course you all know why I am going to SEA - cruise to Alaska!

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Miss Vickie

You haven't been around in a while - more to the point; since November last year.

That you referenced two Roomettes tells me Mr. Art is also well.

Thanks for coming around.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are as fine as old folks can be. Looking forward to traveling on the CS, our favorite.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new system is a joke for earning points, I used to get 100 points for a trip like Santa Ana to Irvine. Now I get only 10. Hard to earn points by buying tickets now!

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
It's all of 'em, Mr. Guenzler.

While, if I recall properly but if not, please accept my apology, you are part of the "no fly" brigade, so you have no reason to be concerned with airline points (I guess they still use miles as their currency even if the award has little to do with that measure anymore), but they have been "devaluing" those "miles" for some time, and with all the hoops, such as fly only when there is a Blue Moon, I can't be bothered with them. Even if I belong to United's plan, I just donate 'em (Wounded Warriors got them last year).

Amtrak is simply following suit. It has been my understanding that the program has been considered "liberal", so I guess it could best be said that "they're just catching up".

Even hotel points, which I do use, are getting 'chintzier"; so I fear with Amtrak, like airlines when I can remember 50K would get you a free domestic First Class ride, it too is a "thanks for the memories".

Finally Amtrak, how about designating some charities, if any of them even want your points, so I can be rid of the 17402 of mine.

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
I'm not a "points chaser." I think the last time I redeemed Amtrak Guest Rewards, I got some movie tickets. Anyway, Gil, I don't guess the rewards are transferable, right? I seem to recall contributing some US Airways (remember them?) points to some charity, but that was maybe 10 years ago.
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have done about half my Amtrak traveling on points by charging things like dental bills and parts of new car purchases, in addition to day-to-day purchases (balance paid in full every month). Charging $1200-2000 per month was always good for a 1-zone bedroom trip every year. With the new system, you now have to shop for cheapest days to travel. The amsnag site really helps for this.

My most recent trip (La Plata to Albuqerque round-trip) was done right after the changeover last January. My westbound trip cost me less points on the old system and my eastbound return cost less on the new system, so I purchased my tickets either side of the changeover date.

Trips to the far corners of a zone for two people in a bedroom are what really costs more now. But shorter trips within a zone during low-travel times are now cheaper than they used to be.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Today's Wall Street Journal Middle Seat column addresses hotel reward plan's "bang for the buck". All told, the columnist concludes that hotel plans are far more generous than are those of airlines (if content is paywalled, try back in a few days):

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-best-and-worst-hotels-for-cashing-in-rewards-points-1475686457

Fair Use:

• Hotels are still generally more generous than airlines. In a separate May study, IdeaWorks calculated the value you get back from major U.S. airlines ranging from 3.1% to 7.9% per dollar spent on for coach seats. (Premium cabin redemptions and elite status can raise that substantially.)

By comparison, hotel programs return 5.6% to 13.6% of spending—a strong bonus for consumers. Airlines “have a strong financial incentive to be stingy on rewards,” says Mr. Sorensen of IdeaWorks.

Another difference: availability. “So often with airlines, especially at the 25,000-mile domestic award level, there aren’t any seats available. Hotel programs almost always have availability,” Mr. Sorensen says. In the queries looking for rooms, the survey found free rooms with points were available in every query made at Choice, Hilton and Wyndham. Marriott had no award rooms available on 2.7% of queries made, IHG 4% and Starwood 6.2%.

I must wonder, yet defer to others, how, applying this same reasoning, Amtrak Guest Rewards stacks up.

But all told, this column just supports my thoughts that "I can't be bothered with all the hoops" of airline plans, and just donate what points I get from United to one of the several military and veterans charities they have at their site.

Hotels different story, for on the seven night auto trip starting later today noted at my Matthew topic, Marriott stays in first Detroit then Cleveland will be points. So will a Holiday Inn in Akron, but a Hampton in Fredericksburg and a Hyatt in Greenwich will be pay (I've never redeemed anything with Hilton and it took me ten years to get enough Hyatt points for a redemption last year).

All told, four nights pay; three for points.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Each point (or $1 spent)is worth about $.029 or roughly 3% back. About the low end of the airline return mentioned in the article. This was based on checking fares and points required in a roomette for several itineraries. Probably better to use a rewards credit card for something else - like Marriott points.

Still adding to my stash for that big trip, probably Greece and Adriatic coast with rail to maybe Lisbon for return.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
So, last month I was approved for an AGR credit card through Bank of America and I should have more than 24,000 points in my account before the end of the year. Will that get me anywhere, and is there a time limit on their use?

My trip in November is off, so nothing planned right now.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, not sure about a time limit, but your points should be enough for a roomette from Palatka to New York round trip - if you use the Silver Star. Might be a couple thousand points short on the higher priced Meteor.

Amtrak.com makes it easy to figure the fare or points required for your O-D points, date, and accommodation desired by using the appropriate button.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Thanks, palmland. I also have a $50 voucher with an expiration date of 8/17, so a trip within the next 10 months is on the horizon.

I read somewhere that the approximate conversion value on the points is 34.5 points for every $1 towards fare. Is that more or less correct?

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
That's pretty close Mike. I figured it at a bit less than 30 based on a roomette for a couple sample trips.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page