RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » A New Coast Starlight?

Author Topic: A New Coast Starlight?
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The SleepBus is a new, overnight "luxury" (if you can use that word) bus between LA and San Francisco. It only costs $48 per trip. It's touted as an interim mode of transportation until Calif. high speed rail is available. Might be a long wait.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/sleep-bus-san-francisco-los-angeles

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/8220.html

Earlier discussion of this "AutoPullman".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's rate of advance is far better than the inheritor of the Coast Daylight has...

AND IT'S CHEAPER than a coach seat.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh well, if the earlier topic originator chooses to discuss this new service here, then I shall follow suit.

Those bunks look even smaller and claustrophobic than the Roomette Upper. Even the Slumbercoach had more "wiggle room" than this "thing".

I have to wonder if there would be a stronger market out of San Diego; swabbies are used to that kind of bunk space.

Not sure if the public at large is.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given the plethora of less-than-salubrious travel around the US (and elsewhere) which is frequented by students and international and domestic backpackers, I don't have much doubt they'll break even easily.

But in a similar vein I bet there wouldn't be much sleeping going on for the first couple of hundred miles. Better hope you're not a light sleeper.

"Ingenious project"? No. Not when the likes of Green Tortoise have been doing the same thing for years, albeit on tours rather than point-to-point on fixed schedules.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't consider a trip on the SleepBus as the bunks do not look inviting. Still, $48 for a trip between LA and SF is quite reasonable. The cost of a Calif. HSR train from LA to SF is expected to be around $100, or from $85 to $110.

However, you can fly the distance for as little as $68. I wonder what a ticket aboard the old SP "Lark" overnight train would have cost? From what I've read, the Lark was quite popular and there was a lot of protest when the train was discontinued in 1968.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will check Eric Bowen's website and a couple others for 1968 prices. NASA has calculators where I can quickly input a valuation and get the cost in current dollars.

From the last time I did this exercise, on a different domain, I think you'll find Amtrak is siginficantly(!!!!) under cost against historic valuations.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I did a Round Trip on The Lark during December 1963 (hey, a 22 year old can.be homeless in SF for a dsy; guarantee you this 74 year old could not).

One of the most memorable rail experiences I had in this life - especially opening my "Engineer's side" Pullman Roomette shade on the Eastbound run near Surf and viewing a crystal day overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

You couldn't pay me to ride that "AutoPullman" (that is a premium bus line down Mexico way) - no more than you could pay me to ride a Couchette overseas; did that once in this life; Sevilla to Barcelona, during '90.

DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The primary target market for this service seems to be backpackers. They've located the LA stop in Santa Monica near many of these, including those in Venice Beach.

I can't imagine that it targets most of us. However, given a down economy . . .. [Smile]

Overnight backpacker buses with beds are not new, e.g., http://www.greentortoise.com/adventure.travel.html

(See design of bus lower on page.)

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Interior photos sure look like Couchettes; no way is this service to be compared with The Owl, let alone with The Lark:

http://www.trainsandtravel.com/did-they-find-a-need-and-fill-it/

Look at the ethnically diverse Millennials depicted. Sure know what segment they are pitching to; guarantee you it ain't mine.

Southwest Airlines from any LA airport to any SF airport, or v.v, and a night in a major chain's bed is more my speed.

yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
After clicking on Mr. Norman's link, above, on the SleepBus, I found the Jim Loomis article, below, of a Zephyr trip ("Sacramento to Chicago on the Zephyr, a mixed Bag") is also interesting.

How many times, on Amtrak, do you run into those same problems Loomis depicts on his Zephyr trip. Yes, I like the way he doesn't gloss over Amtrak's problems, as well as give credit when Amtrak does something right.

Richard

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page