RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Ideas For Frank, Miss Vickie, and Their Companions

Author Topic: Ideas For Frank, Miss Vickie, and Their Companions
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Turn on Hannity or Rush and hear how global warming is "a figment of Liberal minds". Turn to Crystal Cruises for another view:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/luxury-cruise-to-conquer-northwest-passage-1462872605

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting Gil. Crystal is above my financial abilities, even their normal cruises. But I am heading up to Alaska end of the month to view some of the disappearing glaciers. Great scenery.

Will be taking the CS both ways to Seattle, hope for no problems along the way.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting indeed. We've only done one Crystal Cruise which was deeply discounted. It was to Antarctica and there was a lot of "buzz" about the Northwest Passage cruises. They will have their own icebreaker along with them.

We have just booked our first Regent cruise -- again deeply discounted. We are going to visit Comrade Putin. (Actually, we've decided not to do the optional $1300.00 trip to Moscow. It involves 8 hrs travel on a "High Speed" train and only about four hours in Moscow itself.

Frank in overcast and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somehow, I doubt if our "Love Tub Aficionados" around these parts will be too happy with this Gail Collins column appraring in The Times today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/25/opinion/tax-dodging-on-the-high-seas.html

Fair Use:
  • The cruise industry seems to be exploding — the newest generation of ships can carry more than 5,000 passengers. They make a great deal of profit from the sale of alcohol, so imagine the equivalent of a small city whose inhabitants are perpetually drunk.

Really, these things are so huge, it’s amazing they can stay afloat without toppling over. And when one is parked outside, say, Venice, the effect is like one of those alien-invasion movies, when people wake up and find that a spaceship the size of Toledo has landed downtown
Hate to say it, I see her points.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. I am not a fan of the megaships, for many reasons.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have never sailed on one of the megaships. Celebrity's "Solstice Class" (Around 2,800 pax) is our limit. They are very well designed and you never feel crowded -- except perhaps on the first day when people are trying to find their way around. Our true favorites, though, are the Celebrity "Millennium Class" ships at about 2,000 passengers. Large enough to have plenty of amenities but small enough to feel very comfortable. The next ships at Celebrity, the "Edge Class," will be somewhere in between.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My fiancee and I want to start cruising, but we are going small ships, under 500 absolutely, and under 300 if we can.

If I wanted to live in a city, I would. Oh, wait, I do. Problem solved.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Pullman--

It CAN certainly be done but be aware that the smaller the ship the more expensive it will become. On the plus side, however, the smaller ships tend to be more inclusive of what is part of your fare. Drinks, internet, tips and even shore excursions are often included on the smaller ships.

Be sure to ask about "affinity" discounts -- State of Residence, Military or Law Enforcement service, age (Generally 55+) and travel industry.

Our next cruise will be on the 750 passenger Regent Voyager. The fare is all inclusive (including shore excursion) and we got an EXCEPTIONALLY good deal of $250 per day per person using a travel industry (Retired Airline) rate.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page