RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Train travel for a big guy

Author Topic: Train travel for a big guy
Nasscarr1720
Member # 2060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasscarr1720     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,I am a over weight guy and was woundering if anyone can give me some info on traveling on a train. Do you think it would be confortable compared to a plane? a plane is ok but your legs are all cramped up for hours in a small seat. I have no problem sleeping sitting up. How big are the seats?
how are the dining cars? how much room is there in between the seat and the table?
Or any outer info you can help with.

Thanks

Posts: 41 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
efin98
Member # 1943

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for efin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im a big guy myself and had no trouble with leg room. depending on how far you are traveling, you should get up and walk around every once in a while so your legs dont get too tired. The coach seats are pretty spacious compared to the coach seats on an airplane, so you shouldnt have a problem with them.
Posts: 55 | From: Chelsea, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The coach seats and leg room on a long distance train are larger compared to most airline first class seats. I think you will be very comfortable and that you will have plenty of room. Of course, should you desire maximum room and privacy you might want to explore booking a sleeper (dining car meals are included).
The dining car room between the seat and the table is about average. I've seen people of all sizes and shapes at the tables. I don't think you would have a problem.
Overall, train travel is very comfortable.
I think you will enjoy your trip. Have fun!

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nasscarr1720
Member # 2060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasscarr1720     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you efin98 and CK for your reply. I have never been on a long train trip before and want to learn more about it. The only train I have been on is the Hiawatha from Milwaukee to Chicago. So I have a lot of questions. I have thought about a sleeper also.

Posts: 41 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surfer
Member # 1980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Surfer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you suffer from obesity though, i'd book a Deluxe Bedroom and not a Standard.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen a couple of instances where the person was so obese they could not fit between the table and the seat in the diner. In each case, the order was taken as a take out and the person returned to their coach seat.

rick

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Burden
Member # 88

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Burden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you were comfortable on the Hiawatha's seats, then you will have no problem with the long haul coach seats. I did the CHI-MKE round trip in August and the leg room was good, but a little less than the long distance trains I've ridden. Sometimes they have seats at either ends of the cars with open floor space in front of them for extra luggage. You could try to get one of these if available.

Dave

Posts: 73 | From: Unity, NH | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page