RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » On the Coast Starlight

Author Topic: On the Coast Starlight
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On 14(27) in roomettes 9&10. PPC steps away. Richard is our guy, 40 years with Amtrak, Mikey is trainee.

Apples and oranges offered plus coffee and juice.

Holding at Chatsworth for person down by the track. Conductor handling. She is up now and looks unhurt. Unclear what is going on but authorities have been called.

Consist of three coaches, three sleepers, one BC coach. Children in our car. Pray for us.

Metro Lounge was very full.

Jackie in dining car loves to use the intercom.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have any meals in the PPC, Vicki, please give us a report.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miss. Vicki, 80ML estimate at SLO I guess isn't the end of the world.

I trust your sailing is not until Sunday.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like 14 (27) is "holding it's own" with a 94ML arrival PRB.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can confirm that Art and Vickie are on their way to Seattle. We headed down to the station when the computer was showing them only 14 minutes late. That became a "rolling delay" so we went to lunch at the Shoreline Cafe at West Beach and then came back for a very fast meet and greet.

Bon voyage, you two.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moving on. About a two hour delay due to the trespasser whom the conductor says we did not touch. Finally left LA County at 1:00 pm.

Lunch in the PPC was odd. Despite preordering one salad and one sandwich it took 45 minutes to be served. Only four of the six tables in use. Food was fine although the ciabatta on the sandwich is big enough to feed a family. Maybe dinner will work better.

Wifi working! And an afternoon movie will occur, "Daddy's Home". Wine tasting offered for $7.50.

Managed to meet with Frank and Norm in SBA.

Dinner in the PPC went better. Well, we were the only ones there for the first serving. Lamb shank and pasta with meat sauce. Tasted fine. Salad offered but only three types of dressing are available.

Meanwhile they can't change the scenery. It's still terrific.

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
14 (27) 72ML RDD
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Looks like 14 (27), Miss Vicki, and Mr. Art, continue to hold their own; 50ML @ KFS.

So if they make it over the hill without something bad happening to a freight ahead or a wildfire, they just might be OK.

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
How prophetic of you Gil. Add an hour, disabled freight. What does RDD mean?

--------------------

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
RDD; station code for Redding CA.
Just think, had that nutty gal not been using the tracks as her "natureway", you would have been "in slot" and that freight would have been behind you.

But it looks like you are now at CMO - Chemult - 115ML.

I haven't ridden the route during the Amtrak era, but did ride the Shasta Daylight SB during 1962.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Miss. Vicki, it's pretty hard to make up time going over the hill, so I guess 120ML estimate at Eugene is all you can hope for.

Treat yourselves when you get to Seattle at Canlis (if you can get in). They used to have one in Portland, but I think that's gone.

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil--

I think a finger slipped. It's Canlis. There was one in Waikiki, too. It became a branch station for the HPD and is now gone entirely replaced by a Tiffany store.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Noted and corrected, Frank.

But that Kobe beef they offer you don't find everywhere is to die for (I don't eat seafood).

Meantime Miss Vicki and Mr.Art are holding their own on 14 (27).

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I have to confess, I had forgotten about Canlis - until I read this Journal article:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-restaurant-took-your-favorite-dish-off-the-menu-now-what-1464102523

Since after I left the MILW, I haven't had much reason to be anywhere in the PNW, the article jogged me back to the wonderful Kobe Steak I'd had in Seattle.

Meantime, 14 (27) is estimated 32ML SEA, and maybe Miss Vickie and Mr. Art, who know first hand how I appreciate fine restaurants, will pass on whatever vile "cuisine" Amtrak is offering (those Shortribs on Auto Train last January were a turn off) and go there - all again, if they can get in.

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
French toast for breakfast. Still down more than an hour. Really some rough track before Sacramento. Almost throws you off the bed.

Sadly a disabled freight put us back another hour at Klamath.

PPC had same menu as yesterday. What's with that? So into the diner. Angus burger on dry bun. Art got a hot dog (child menu) which was the better choice. Already running out of stuff, snared the last two Diet Pepsi.

Finally dinner in the diner, crab cakes. They were terrific! Working on making up time.

Arrived safely in Seattle about 40 minutes late. Our attendant helped us get first access to the redcap who took us to the street. Called Uber and he arrived in two minutes. Off to the beautiful W Seattle. Promo code made Uber ride free.

Off to Alaska tomorrow. Overall a good Amtrak trip. Delays weren't too bad. Food was the usual, adequate but not fabulous. All staff were friendly and hard working.

--------------------

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Well, I guess Miss Vicki and Mr. Art have "cast off' on the m/s Amsterdam, as she was scheduled to sail 4PM PT.
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Yep, they should be steaming up the Sound now.

And the free UBER ride almost takes away the sting of the late arrival.

Hopefully the SB journey in a week will go better.

Frank in overcast and gray SBA

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Indeed, sailing along. Washington State hangs on so long I still have AT&T five hours after leaving Seattle. Will check in from Juneau on Tuesday.

--------------------

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Date of your next pass through? You really should plan a layover or at least a couple of hours so we can take you to lunch!

Frank in dark and cool SBA

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Passing through on Monday the 6th. No layover but will try to find a time when you are in town (a rare event) and we will come up for the day.

--------------------

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
You're on!

We booked another cruise. Barcelona to Barcelona in October. It almost backs up to our Transatlantic from Southampton to Miami. And we get to go back to Madrid to see the youngsters!

Frank in cloudy and cool SBA

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Back home after taking 11(5). Great staff, ate most of our meals in the PPC. The menu was the same as northbound and the same both days, wish they would vary it more.

We would have been a bit early except we killed our early hour waiting for the hour late 14 to pass us at SLO. Since we had to stop at all of the final, discharge only stops, we couldn't race into LAX. Who are these people who get off at Van Nuys, Simi, Burbank.

You may have seen that 14(5) had an engine that started spewing flames, oil and smoke after it left LAX. Had to backup all the way from Burbank, change power x2 to find one that functioned and left LAX about 3.5 hours late. So at least I avoided that escapade. I guess they ate lunch parked in Union Station, how scenic.

Although we loved the train trip, one night in those beds is enough for us. I'm not sure how we survived three nights on our trip to Boston. But we were younger then. Seems like the years add more problems the older we get.

--------------------

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HopefulRailUser:
Since we had to stop at all of the final, discharge only stops, we couldn't race into LAX. Who are these people who get off at Van Nuys, Simi, Burbank.

Free parking.
Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Free long term parking? The MTA lot went up two dollars to $8 per day. Maybe I should drive to the valley?

--------------------

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Free long term parking? The MTA lot went up two dollars to $8 per day. Maybe I should drive to the valley?

We went on a 4-day jaunt to San Francisco on #11/14 several months ago and left the car in Van Nuys car park. No fees, no barriers, just leave it there. It was certainly better than driving to downtown and paying $8 per day or more.
Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Welcome home! Sorry we weren't there last night for the "Meet and Greet" -- we lost track of time until we heard the horn,
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Mayo:
quote:
The MTA lot went up two dollars to $8.

We left the car in Van Nuys car park. No fees, no barriers, just leave it there.
Even if $8/da sounds cheap to me, free is better. I guess the "cheapies" are part of the "car centric Cali culture".

But if you all drive about with a "it's OK if it gets dinged or tapped; it's just a car" mindset, fine; but that's not me, who at hotels (or the Mall where my Periodontist has her office) with free parking is "highly selective" about where he parks. I'd be too worried to park at ORD; my $3.50 (Senior) "poor man's way" works good enough for me (and in the 37 years I've lived here, the only way I've ever gotten to 18.32 - BNSF/METRA - is with "Mr. Shank and Miss. Mare").

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Don't worry Gil. We would take Art's beat up Civic.

--------------------

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Mayo:
quote:
The MTA lot went up two dollars to $8.

We left the car in Van Nuys car park. No fees, no barriers, just leave it there.
Even if $8/da sounds cheap to me, free is better. I guess the "cheapies" are part of the "car centric Cali culture".

But if you all drive about with a "it's OK if it gets dinged or tapped; it's just a car" mindset, fine; but that's not me, who at hotels (or the Mall where my Periodontist has her office) with free parking is "highly selective" about where he parks. I'd be too worried to park at ORD; my $3.50 (Senior) "poor man's way" works good enough for me.

When you have a young family like me, and a wife who, shall we say, has other priorities than a tidy car, having a posh car is pretty much a waste of time and money. I have my doubts about some "secured" lots in any case, not to mention lead footed valets holding their hands out for $5/minute tips for simply doing their job. (Just checked: seems valets can be underpaid because of the tips they receive so I grudgingly concede on that one)

Four days at $8 is still the price of a decent meal - maybe not a ribeye but something that previously went "cluck", washed down with a glass of Marlborough SB.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Like the Sommelier says, Mr. Mayo, "an excellent choice".

I've had NZ Sauvingnon, and agree that it is a crisp yet fruity wine well paired with chicken dishes.

But the Sauvingnon "to die for" is from the Graves Region of Bordeaux, Chateau Carbonieux; the price tag is also "to die for".

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Vicki--

I wonder what an UBER car would cost you to Union Station? The longest we've done is from SBA (The airport) to our house which is about 10 miles. It usually comes in at about $12 to $15.

Just a thought.

BTW, I was in Carp at "The Spot" today but no Starlight. It was over an hour late and I couldn't wait.

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Looks like $30-40, too much unless the layover is pretty long.

We used the Uber from King St to our hotel, great deal. But we used taxis for hotel to ship and ship to King St. They were readily available, Uber was in higher price mode on Sunday AM (!) and I have mixed feelings about how Uber is taking business away from some hard working taxi drivers.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page