RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New Siemens train units for Brightline

Author Topic: New Siemens train units for Brightline
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they can build something for LA to Las Vegas:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2016/06/10/brightline-florida-passenger-train-rail-cars/85651126/

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they could, Richard.

But I still hold AAF will not turn a wheel for the private sector's account - or at least how I would define such. Those people have their hands in Tallahassee's purse, and maybe the service Miami West Palm might turn a wheel, and get a good public acceptance, but that is when they cash in chips "up North". The track expansions have been limited to Miami and West Palm, but if the S. Fla. ports are to be ready for the "surge" of post-PANAMAX traffic they expect, those improvements will be needed.

All told, I hold the capacity expansion is simply a means to garner public funding so the Port of Miami can be competitive in a post-PANAMAX world. AAF will simply fade away.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a lot more faith in a project that has a defined route, that has trains being built, that has stations being (re)built, and shows progress than a railway to "nowhere but eventually somewhere via some place we don't know just yet" that has both a highly questionable budget and questionable funding source.

But yes, maybe an existing factory could turn out a few more trains rather than some foreign enterprise setting up a local factory for 3 years and then closing down with the loss of jobs because they ran out of trains to build (I've seen this elsewhere in the world).

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Geoff Mayo:
[QB] I have a lot more faith in a project that has a defined route, that has trains being built, that has stations being (re)built, and shows progress than a railway to "nowhere but eventually somewhere via some place we don't know just yet" that has both a highly questionable budget and questionable funding source.

Give us a hint, Geoff. Somewhere in Calif.? [Smile]

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yukon11:
Give us a hint, Geoff. Somewhere in Calif.?

I know, I know, I need to shut myself up!

Frustrated of Southern California

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page