RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Durbin and Greenbrier Valley RR - Cass

Author Topic: Durbin and Greenbrier Valley RR - Cass
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted my trip report on the Tourist RR forum. And, GBN, I did sit briefly in seat 61 on the Spruce train. Was a nice open window original WM coach.

For those of you not familiar with it, the D&GV RR operates a former Western Maryland RR line from Elkins, WV deep into the WV mountains. They also connect with the steam powered Cass former logging railroad at Spruce, WV. And, they are restoring a C&O branchline that operates through Cass to the small town of Durbin which then connects to a WM line back into the Elkins line. In a few years you will be able to take a circle trip. This is their website

It was nice to escape SC 90 degrees for 70 in the mountains. But, the closing of the coal mines has devastated the WV economy. I suspect the WV State Parks and tourism are now a major source of income.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lest we wonder to what Mr. Palmland refers, I occupied Seat 61 aboard Rail Jet 66 Vienna to Salzburg on Thursday Aug 18.

I sent a selfie to some around here who know me "face to face".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Palmland, I am envious of your trip.

The Durbin & Greenbrier Valley RR was featured on the PBS series, "Great Scenic Railway Journeys". The Durbin Rocket, Wabash caboose, the 1908 Western Maryland depot, and Cheat River Falls would make for a great and scenic excursion.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard- thanks for the info on the PBS show. I'll see if I can find it. While the Shavers Fork of the Cheat River was very scenic, I couldn't get too excited about the Cheat River Falls. Not after visiting Yosemite earlier this summer!

Not related to our WV excursions, we stopped at the Southern Ry station in Danville, VA. on our return. What an impressive place. Well worth a stop if you're traveling on I-85. Aside from the main line trains, it was also the terminus for the Southern branch to Richmond and the Atlantic an Danville RR. Now it's a nice museum but the large lobby is opened for Amtrak at train time.

Also, we stopped at Clifton Forge, VA and saw the Cardinal. I was surprised to see it with two sleepers. And the BC car was ahead of the sleepers. And in Charlottesville we saw a huge crowd getting off the Lynchburg train. Well over a hundred. Obviously a very popular train.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The wife and I have begun to think about a European return visit......perhaps as early as summer 2017. Vienna would likely make our itinerary this time.

But without straying from the topic - Cass and Durbin are both must-see's for anyone with an interest in geared logging locomotives..... or for anyone who needs to escape swampier August temperatures.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page