RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Hoboken crash

Author Topic: Hoboken crash
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/30/nyregion/new-jersey-transit-train-crash-hoboken.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=a-lede-package-region®ion =top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Hears that NJTransit has a 19% increase in passengers but a DECREASE in state funding. So much so that NJT had to cannibalize its capital projects to pay operating costs. Maybe this will get infrastructure the attention it needs.

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak related?

How about killing this here and posting same at Commuter Trains Forum?

Also, with a Times link, everything beyond the html tag can be removed, as such only relates to searching for that article within their site.

Try it here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/30/nyregion/new-jersey-transit-train-crash-hoboken.html

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jerome - thanks for posting. As few topics as posted recently on this forum it's welcome. And, according to my son who commutes on NJT it's sort of related as his trains are regularly delayed by Amtrak on the mid town direct service.

My first knowledge of this was the headline of NJT wreck. Momentary concern until I read further, but certainly prayers for those affected directly.

There is still talk about Amtrak service being restored on his line through Morristown and Dover to Scranton. But so far just talk. Seems like a no brainer with the success of any service that connects to the NEC.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The derailed train was an ERIE (NJ&NY) originating at Spring Valley NY. In NJTese, that is the Pascack Valley Line.

Therefore, I'm at a loss to know how this incident is Amtrak related.

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I know this belongs in the Commuter Trains heading, but there has been such activity of topics lately,I felt OK doing it.
Changing the heading will have to wait until I get to. a computer. I'm doing this on a phone.

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Laurie wrote me and said this is where this topic stays; she's the boss!

Away from the incident, I note the Bush train sheds at Hoboken appear to be gone. Anyone know what happened to them? Droege makes mention of such; apparently the work is now public domain, but I still think the $7.50 I paid for it 40 years ago to be worth it, and allows me use of the term "ex libris".

The Times teed off this morning on the fuel tax dilemma in NJ - including a snipe or two at the "man of the people" Governor. Apparently that is a source of NJT funding:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/30/opinion/why-new-jerseys-trains-arent-safer.html

Fair Use:
  • The Legislature wants to replenish a depleted transportation fund by raising the state gasoline tax to 37.5 cents per gallon from 14.5 cents. The current rate is one of the lowest in the country, and it has not been increased in more than 25 years. Gov. Chris Christie, a Republican, says he will not allow the increase to go through unless lawmakers cut the sales tax by one percentage point, which Democrats object to because it would blow a huge hole through the state budget. New Jersey Transit says the impasse has forced it to put construction projects totaling $2.7 billion on hold.

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see a tie-in during this political season under the broad umbrella of "infrastructure repair/rail safety." Certainly all the renewed focus on PTC (or lack of it) has a nexus to Amtrak. Anyway, I used to "railfan" that Hoboken station when it was used by Erie/Lackawanna back in the early 60's. Doesn't even look like it's changed all that much.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page