RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Post-election AMTRAK future?

Author Topic: Post-election AMTRAK future?
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that the election is over, it looks like the Republicans will have a majority in Congress -- any ideas on how this may affect the near (next 4 years at least) future of AMTRAK?
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The typical GOP response will be that "No one rides the trains" inspite of the fact that the average ridership is something like 22 million people. The GOP will say that "trains don't make money," despite that fact that they have been denied a dedicated source of funding for over 3 decades.
See http://www.ont.com/~mobdaldm/ur092497.htm
Now, I realize that if trains were profitable, someone would be running them. But the truth is that the RRs were forced out of the business by the US gov't financing the competition. It's very difficult to stay in business when the deck is stacked and the other side has eminent domain and bottomless bank accounts with which to finance your competitors. Hopefully, people will get involved, contact the representatives, & let them know that they shouldn't kill the passenger trains.

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other two "major railroad message boards" also have active threads on this topic as well.

I think there will be a "status quo". Not one Republican has proclaimed that Corridor rail passenger service is non essential. Because the National system of LD's is the catalyst for funding the Corridor, saving possibly a "sacrificial lamb", I believe the National System is safe.

Of greatest concern to me is that there will be a 'priviatzation" initiative that will result in a farebox profitable service such as Acela contracted out to the private sector. This would only result in a greater burden being placed on the taxpayers to fund the 'loosers" and with no assurance that the the service will be delivered any better to the passenger.

Any participant at this Forum must acknowledge that Amtrak is at best a "back burner" issue. Confronted with a "sort of non issue", a legislator will simply vote in favor and move on, as this would be the path of least resistance.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman,

I agree with your statement that Amtrak is a 'back burner' issue, with the focus on national security and such.

MP

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
efin98
Member # 1943

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for efin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the economy in a downturn and taxes going up in some places(i know my state is raising them next year!) Amtrak may be the sacrificial lamb to some congressmen. However, with the NEC and the California trains doing fairly well i doubt that the congressmen with stations along those routes would let Amtrak wither away. IIRC California and the NEC hold fully 1/4 of the House's seats, hopefully that is enough clout to keep Amtrak alive for at least a few more years.
Posts: 55 | From: Chelsea, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When our now "junior" Senator from Texas came out against Amtrak during his campaign, our "senior" Senator threw him into a closet, severely kicked his shins and nads, and "changed" his mind about Amtrak.

IOW, Don't mess with Texas's senior Senator, and her stand on Amtrak!

My guess is; look for the status quo for this year and a possible re-incarnation of S.1991 next year.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given that polls consistently show that the public wants Congress to fund Amtrak, and given that Republicans are not really unified on the issue of Amtrak (some support it, some hate it), I expect that the status quo will continue. There aren't enough votes to kill Amtrak, nor are there enough votes to improve it.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess status quo is at least better than what happened when the Democrats controlled both houses of Congress and the White House in 1979 and 1993. (Floridian, National Ltd, Broadway Ltd, Lone Star...)
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In all probability, one Sen. John McCain will be reseated to head the Transportation, Science, and Pastry Chefs committee. Summed up in three words:
Amtrak is screwed.

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page