RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Full Length UP Dome Car?

Author Topic: Full Length UP Dome Car?
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All--

Today, as I was headed to Carpinteria for a dentist appointment, I THOUGHT I spotted a full length dome car in UP colors sandwiched between two yellow UP locomotives. They were headed North just before the Bird Refuge in Montecito. Does anyone know about this car? Part of the business car fleet?

Frank in dark and cool SBA (And, no, there was no cheeseburger at The Spot involved this time. Too numbed up to chew or even order!)

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UP, by way of the C&NW, has a MILW Super Dome in its Executrain fleet:

http://trainweb.us/DOMEmain/picMILW53.jpg

According to the Dome-Main site that Trainweb continues to host after Mr. Ainsworth's passing, The car was originally MILW 53 and did "hitches" with CN and NCDOT along the way.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil--

That looks like the one I saw today. I didn't want to take my eyes off the road long enough to really get a good look. And I wasn't even driving. That particular stretch of the 101 is especially nasty going down to two lanes each way from three rather quickly.

Frank in dark and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the current Union Pacific fleet, as reported by the Road.

http://www.up.com/aboutup/special_trains/historical_equipment/index.htm

Of note, ARDEN and SELMA are in the roundhouse at Cheyenne. While the article says "long term storage", Arden is the Harriman Family's PV, and probably comes out for the really big stuff.

Ditto SELMA. She was the antecedent to ARDEN, as the Harriman Family's PV. There's darn good reason those two are on the property.

I'll do some more checking to see if any MILW Super Domes are under Road ownership.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Don Strack's Utahrails.net, here is the list he has of UP equipment in service. I do not see a MILW dome on the roster.

http://utahrails.net/pass/heritage-fleet-upp-numbers.php

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

All this said does not mean there has not been a recent acquisition.

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your research and the links. They made for some interesting viewing.

Frank in overcast and cool SBA

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Related of sorts to the topic is this video, circa 1992, of the Auto Train when there was an ex-MILW Super Dome in the consist. The three cars came to Amtrak by way of Princess Tours when their Starlight "Luxoservice" flopped.

My 1992 trip (likely about "Voyage 10") included such car, and it represented a return of prepared on board full service dining for the "Bennie-Caddy-Lex" crowd. The "mini-van" crowd ate at the Cafeteria cars that Amtrak had on their Florida service during that era:

https://youtu.be/MDFS1qKOPuk

While not yet carved in stone, "Voyage 23" will be NB the Monday after Super Bowl.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page