RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New United Club at LAX

Author Topic: New United Club at LAX
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All--

WARNING! This has NOTHING to do with trains or Amtrak but I know several of you have a wider interest in travel so I thought I'd do a quick report on our little adventure yesterday. Plus, this site seems to be a bit quiet lately. Come on, folks. SOMEONE must be riding the rails -- I see lots of people on the platforms at SBA and even Carpinteria.

Because we still have pass privileges on United inspite of my partner's retirement after 45 years in the business we flew SBA-LAX-SBA yesterday to check out the new United Club facility in Terminal 7.

The flights were short (18 minutes and 21 minutes flying time.) and we had no problem being cleared. The aircraft were Canadair CRJ200s operated by Skywest. We each had a window seat with the aisle empty. On the return flight four of us were asked to move to the last rows for "weight and balance". No service because of short flight time and we never got above 10,000 feet.

The new club had it's official opening yesterday although they've been doing a "soft" opening since 28 November. This is not a remodel but a new construction that spans the width of Terminal Seven and is in a four story building. The Club occupies the top floor. It is spacious and a tremendous improvement of the previous locations. All areas have comfortable seating with power outlets and the bar (Most drinks are complimentary -- including premium wines and beers on opening day.) is large and inviting. There is an outdoor patio with great views of the airport and a perfect spot for plane watching. We saw a Lufthansa A380 do an aborted or rejected landing. The food offerings are standard United Club with salads and soup during the time we were there. Freshly baked cookies and brownies are also available as well as specialty coffees from an ILLY machine.

All in all, we were impressed. Well done, United!

Admission is by membership with a same day ticket, by purchase of a day pass (Currently, I believe, $50.00) or the use of a coupon that is issued once a year to the holders of certain Chase credit cards -- again with a same day ticket.

We purchased Lifetime Memberships in Continental's Presidents Club during one of the bankruptcies because it was a good price and an act of faith in the company. United no longer sells Lifetime Memberships. Mine expires in December, 2099.

For Mr. Norman: The Polaris Business Class Lounge will be built where the current secondary Club has been operating -- upstairs in the Rotunda at the end of Terminal 7. Construction hasn't started and it will be the last one built. Newark, Houston, SFO, LHR and Tokyo and Hong Kong come first -- Chicago's opened December 1st. Admission will strictly be for ticket holders in Polaris -- not even lowly Lifetime United Club members will be let in.

Frank in overcast and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, a long time friend, who on several occasions, both while Senior Enlisted in the Marines and now as a DOD Contractor, has traveled to Australia and back.

She has recommended that I not go; that for a ten day (absolute max for me) trip, I would be lagged and disoriented for most of the time I was there. Just like me, she thinks Westward is the harder to take. When I’ve gone to Salzburg, the going travel is East and I’m good to go after one night in a hotel bed – especially at the four star Crowne Plaza.

Anne, my Niece who has emigrated to Australia, has not exactly been burning up the Ethernet with “when you coming Uncle Gil”, so I’ve just sort of let it lay. She of course wants me to stay with her and family, which is “something I just no longer do” with anyone.

The Festival has their calendar now posted (they will send a program the size of a phone book costing them about €5,00 which is just a waste), and three concerts over the weekend Aug 18 have caught my interest

I’d leave Wed evening Aug 16 on UA 952. As for a day trip, I’d like to go to Berchtesgaden (Hitler’s Eagle Nest; “because it’s there”) and maybe Vienna again in my quest to see the Ferris Wheel (I’m getting like Ahab with that). There are plenty of days at this time where you are offering a fare during August of $3550. By contrast, most of your ORD-SYD fares during May (that’s our meteorological November down there) are about $7K. Either way, I have my $1750 voucher that must be ticketed by May 11 (I’ve checked very carefully for the word “ticketed”, as distinct from “travel originated and/or completed by”).

I guess I’ll miss out on Polaris, as I don’t think you will have too many 772’s reconfigured by then.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They might surprise you, Gil. The United 772's may be the first to get the new seats. People HATE the cramped seats in J Class and they want to get rid of International First as quickly as possible.

I doubt they'll bother with the 747's. They'll be going away by 2018 according to rumor.

Good luck on your Ferris Wheel quest. We've seen it but not ridden.

Frank in dark and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my '15 trip, I saw the Ferris Wheel from the back seat of a taxicab.

On my trip this past August, I started to walk what I thought was towards it from the Hbf, but Mr. Google had me walking in circles (uh volks; Vienna, even if on a flat plain, is "not exactly" laid out like Chicago). I stumbled upon what is probably the ritziest five star in town, the Sacher, and had a wonderful Wiener Schnitzel lunch including one of their world famous Tortes. I gave up and took a taxicab back to Hbf and thence a RailJet back to Salzburg, and on which I was seated in Seat 61.

I can't remember when, but on TCM, I saw Orson Welles hanging on to the Ferris Wheel for dear life in "The Third Man".

Oh and finally, let us not get into who knew who to get me the upgrade to Global First on the return. Nice, but double the value for double the price over Business?

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Likely appropriate to this topic, but this mileage frenzy has simply gone "over the top";

http://www.wsj.com/articles/new-ways-to-book-trips-with-miles-1484761296

Fair Use;

• Booking an airline ticket using frequent-flier miles has gotten so tricky that some savvy fliers are turning to professional help.

For people who want good deals but aren’t willing to invest hours searching and scheming, there are professional bookers to hire and a growing number of online booking tools designed for mileage awards. Travel agents also provide this service.

Services such as Book Your Award, PointsPros, MileValue, IFlyWithMiles and Upgrd employ frequent-flier-mile junkies to find trips. Most cost around $150 per person per booking, and typically charge only if they find a ticket you want

I simply can't be bothered with all these charades. Hotels sure; they're straight forward, and even more so is a $100 J C Penney gift certificate passed out by Bank of America Master Charge.

My United Mileage + is right now 0, after having donated all miles to Fisher House - a military charity. It will be same at the end of this year.

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Mr. Norman--

It really isn't that difficult, especially with the United Mileage Plus Search Engine. You can just ask for the "Best" deal in each category. It will usually take you to a partner airline (Star Alliance) but we recently got OW Polaris FC on United from Beijing to SFO (and on to SBA) for only 80,000miles each. It may well be one of the last United 747 flights. They have moved the retirement up from 2018 to 4Q 2017.

Frank in WET SBA.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too found it easy to use miles on USAir/AA for our trip to Athens this summer. Unfortunately, I thought I had enough miles for business class. I did, but not on AA rather their partner British Air. The catch was BA charges close to $1000 'airline imposed fee' in addition to the miles. So it's to the back of the bus on AA for us.

On the plus side, that leaves enough miles for another trip and seating is in a 2-4-2 A330 so no middle seat for us.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Palmland--

Just out of curiousity, did they break down the charges on BA? I know they charge for seat selection, even in Business Class. I don't think you would have to pay the outrageous exit tax from LHR since you would be in transit.

It might be worth it to see if you can upgrade to Premium Economy on AA. I believe it includes more than just more legroom which is what you would get on UA. Were you able to select your seats on AA?

All--

Beware the upcoming "Basic Economy" fares that the majors are slowly implementing. No carry on bad allowed, no seat selection, boarding in the last group, a charge for check bags and a surcharge if you make it to the gate with a large bag. United is going to start with flights to/from MSP.

Frank in WET SBA

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, I fussed at the extremely helpful AA agent I spoke with (Amtrak needs her). As you might expect she had heard similar complaints. This is strictly a BA fee just for the pleasure of riding on their plane with AA miles. No taxes to speak of from the U.S. I was able to select seats and got the 'preferred' coach seats but not sure if they have more leg room. Flight is non stop PHL-ATH.

On the return from Zurich, the Swiss have about a $40 pp airport security fee. On our flight from Athens to Rome we got an incredibly low fare on Aegean Airlines of $15 pp. But taxes were $65 and another $40 for two bags. I didn't think we could make the 8kg (about 17 lbs) carry on weight limit. No problem on AA with a 51 lb limit.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Palmland, gotta wonder why I haven't checked a bag on an airline in over thirty years.

For the little I fly, all the hoops to jump through simply makes miles redemption simply not worth it.

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Palmland--

Are you spending time in Rome? We have great hotel there! The Hotel Golden. It is directly behind the much more expensive Marriott and across the street from the Borghese Gardens.

Frank in dry for the moment SBA

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Sounds great Frank, but we've both been there and Mary has not seen northern Italy. So it's plane to train for Florence, Tuscany, Venice then a few days using SBB.
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
You'll love the North. We were just in San Gimignano and Volterra. You'll need more than a day or two for Florence. I haven't been to Venice in a very long time. I'm almost afraid to go back. I'm told that the crowds can really be oppressive now.

Frank in DRY SBA.

DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Admission is by membership with a same day ticket, by purchase of a day pass (Currently, I believe, $50.00) or the use of a coupon that is issued once a year to the holders of certain Chase credit cards -- again with a same day ticket."

United branded Chase card holders receive two United Club entrance coupons per year. The retail value of these equals the card's annual fee.

Frank, I remember passing through a very dated United Club in LAX T-7 several years ago thinking that the airline will have to do much better than that if it wants to compete with Delta and the likes. Apparently UA heard me. [Smile]

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page