RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak's Gulf Coast Service

Author Topic: Amtrak's Gulf Coast Service
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Republicans see the Gulf Coast route returning:

https://is.gd/ch2riM

A quote:

"One critical question is how many passengers would use the service. Amtrak projects that the revived route would carry 153,900 passengers a year — many times more than the 29,668 travelers its former Gulf Coast service carried in fiscal year 2005 when it was shuttered."

Sound reasonable?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, I think there is a lot of grass roots interest in getting the service going again. And it's good to see some republican supporters. But I suspect the new administration's infrastructure dollars will take a long time to filter down to Amtrak, if ever.

Best chance of getting this going in our lifetime is for LA, MS, and AL to put their state money where their mouth is and at least get an extension of the CONO over to Mobile. The states are also probably in a better position to play quid pro quo with CSX on providing improvements or 'political favors' CSX would like to have in those states.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if the old idea of an extension of the City of New Orleans to Orlando, overnight, could still be in the mix?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, if Mobile develops, that would be a victory. No additional equipment would be needed. Only drawback would be for passengers traveling through New Orleans. The traditional one a day schedule of "little town to big town in the morning and back to little town in early evening" would mean a three some hour layover in New Orleans in each direction.

Also, there would need be a new name for the City. How about "Magnolia Star" - a 1967 "illusion" of the IC's where they touted a new train to New Orleans when all they did was add Coaches and a Cafe to the Panama. When it started out (can't say first hand as I wasn't around. I was at my home away from home known as Saigon), there was a gate between Coaches and Pullmans. But by the time I got back to Univ of Illinois to "finish up" June 1969, it was a combined Coach-Sleeper train simply named Panama - and badly downgraded at that.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "City of New Orleans" had the song of the same name going for it. There is an old Bob Dylan tune entitled "Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again". But it had some line in it about staying away from the train line and railroad men.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
https://is.gd/p7hA1E

"City of New Orleans", by Arlo Guthrie.

Richard

Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mona tried to tell me
To stay away from the train line
She said that all the railroad men
Just drink up your blood like wine
An’ I said, “Oh, I didn’t know that
But then again, there’s only one I’ve met
An’ he just smoked my eyelids
An’ punched my cigarette”
Oh, Mama, can this really be the end
To be stuck inside of Mobile
With the Memphis blues again

mic drop/Nobel Prize

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correction - "City of New Orleans" by Steve Goodman.

Arlo tells the story of how he happened to get the hit on it - best beer he ever had!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivrZlN_PbvU

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
I stand corrected, Mike. Yes, the song was by Steve Goodman and recorded by Arlo Guthrie. Goodman wrote the song in 1970 after riding the old City of New Orleans, before Amtrak. His wife fell asleep on the train, after which he wrote the lyrics and eventually the song. His lyrics give an account of Goodman's impression while riding the train..

I assume Arlo never or will never contract Huntington's disease That would be good.

Richard

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, I am kind of an Arlo "groupie." I believe he was genetically tested and found to not carry the gene, and I believe all his brood are clean too. He has a farm up in the Berkshires as well as a home in Sebastian, FL (Indian River County), where he winters.

Didn't know the above about Goodman's inspiration for the song, but makes sense.

Hope you watched the link.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so glad you corrected about Steve Goodman; he is a favorite of mine. Also was a very big Cubs fan and wrote one of their songs.

He has another excellent song called "Colorado Christmas" that the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band recorded. Like CONO, it is a little wistful.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Here is a take, on restoring the Gulf Coast service, by Jim Loomis:

https://is.gd/YYKv8H

I do think, if the Gulf Coast service returns, they should run it daily. Most importantly, improve the on time performance.

Richard

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page