RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Planning a trip this spring or fall

Author Topic: Planning a trip this spring or fall
Seattle Shue
Member # 4363

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seattle Shue         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi friends,

Feels like forever since I've been on here ... life you know.

I'm finally in a position to begin planning my next rail adventure and of of course thought of turning to you all for the best advice available.

I've always wanted to do the California Zephyr, so it feels like maybe it's time. We are thinking about doing a "triangle" route ... the Empire Builder to Chicago then the Zephyr to California then the Coast Starlight back to Seattle.

Any suggestions which direction would be better? Also time of year? I've always valued your advice here. It has helped me so much in the past.

Hope every one is enjoying a wonderful 2017 full of adventures.

Best to all,
Sue

Posts: 31 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The long days of spring are better for seeing the most, although if you are getting sleepers the prices are likely quite high by now for this spring. I think if you are doing the triangle, your directions are correct--then you will see Glacier Park and the Mississippi on the Builder, and the Zephyr is more exciting going west. I'd make sure to stay in Chicago a night or two (or Milwaukee perhaps and come in on an early Hiawatha or perhaps a more reliable bus to catch the Zephyr); last I heard the Empire Builder was still running quite late.

I have no other tips. Scenery-wise, I do like the Builder branch from Portland much better than from Seattle, but as you live in Seattle, that is a moot point. Besides, the Builder doesn't leave Portland till latish afternoon, so you would see little in the fall for that part of the trip in that direction.

Enjoy!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seattle Shue
Member # 4363

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seattle Shue         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any suggestions for hotels near Chicago's Union Station?
Posts: 31 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Sue, closest to CUS are the J.W.Marriott and the "W". Both are "five star" Marriott brands and in the $450/ni range. Also within the Loop, but further to the East is Palmer House, a Hilton property. That is a bit less at about $350.

There is one "Econotel" in the Loop. That is the Central Loop Hotel. Corporate Lowerlings end up there and I've learned that "think College Barracks or Hostel" is operative. But the $200 rate and Loop locaton are "draws".

Now if you want major chain EconoBrands, (two star) you have to go to the River North area and a 1.5mi ride or hoof from CUS. Figure $150 for any of them.

Now really I should defer to another (female) member around here, who has experience ferreting out the "clean, safe, and inexpensive hotels near the train station...".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seattle Shue
Member # 4363

Rate Member
Thank you all for the suggestions. This is a "bucket list" trip as I've realized that life is short and you need to get out there and work on that list.

Several close friends passed away over the holidays and I suddenly came to the conclusion that Life is Short. I've wanted to ride the Zephyr forever so now is the time.

I value your input and thank you for the help.

Take good care,
Sue

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seattle Shue -- in Chicago, you may want to venture out of downtown a few miles on the METRA commuter system to find less expensive hotels. I am sure that Mr. Norman's suggestions are very good hotels, but I know I couldn't afford such high rates.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rich's thought indeed has merit if what you want is "sleep on the cheap" but with safety from the relatively lower crime rates compared to the city. But then, the city is the city and to some that is where the "pulse" is and to experience it, that is where you stay.

Now if Rich's suggestion would meet your travel objectives, then in the "town" - Westmont- (actually incorporated as a village) adjacent to mine are two hotels coming to mind. One is Club House Oakbrook Inn and another is Best Western Oakbrook (why they both say they are in Oakbrook when they are not escapes me). Trip Advisor gives both "mixed" reviews. However, I have stayed at Club House once during a power outage when the utility was simply saying "we don't know" (turned out to be three days), and I found it to be perfectly acceptable. There are acceptable restaurants in a strip shopping center that is a walk from either.

But the downside is they are over two miles away from the METRA train station, so you would be at the mercy of a taxicab to get to CUS and your Amtrak train.

Club House has its own website, and Best Western is a national chain "of sorts". If you use third party booking sites (I never do), you will find both are likely represented.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sue: I echo Mr. Norman, I don't think I would like to roam around Chicago due to the high crime rate. But, maybe there are safe areas which would be ok.

Getting back to your original question, I would suggest doing the loop in a clockwise direction. Seattle to Chicago on the Builder; Chicago to the Bay Area on the Zephyr; then north on the Starlight to Seattle. I like the route between Seattle, Everett, and Leavenworth. Sultan and Gold Bar are interesting little communities which are between Everett and Leavenworth.

If you start the loop in Portland, there are interesting sights along the Columbia River. However, I prefer the Seattle leg as the train does have a dining car.

Mid summer would be ok for a counter clockwise loop. Glacier Park will still have daylight until you get to the west side.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seattle Shue
Member # 4363

Rate Member
Thank you all for your input. Looks like we will be shooting for a late April trip date. The advice to go clockwise was what I was hoping for, as the train station here in my hometown of Edmonds, WA is a mere 5 minutes away. Makes for a very easy departure. We are excited and will be sure to share details of our adventure.

Thanks again,
Sue

Bob from MA
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob from MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When traveling westward on the Zephyr, it is a good idea to go immediately into the Sightseer Lounge when leaving Denver. People soon realize that the train is about to climb the mountain front and will crowd into the lounge, soon filling it. Best views during the climb are on the right side of the car.
Posts: 127 | From: Worcester, Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the directions you chose, too. East on the Builder and west on the Zephyr.

If the Builder's late, you see even more of the Montana's mountains (and perhaps Idaho ones) and if the Zephyr is just moderately late, you still do not miss the front range of the Rockies, Glenwood Canyon, etc.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page