RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Contracting Out On-Board Service

Author Topic: Contracting Out On-Board Service
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Best Western Marion IL--

At another topic, Mr. Palmland reports:

quote:
Originally posted by palmland:

Strictly a rumor at this point, but other railfan discussion have talked about Amtrak using three Amtrak western routes this summer as the test for the long discussed experiment to outsource the service to a private entity. I can't imaging why, but one of those interested was purported to be Marriott. If so, I assume it would be strictly for on board operations and Amtrak would continue to provide equipment and T&E crews.

While I cannot locate any reference to such at any rail site I know of, but from knowing Mr. Palmland face-to-face, "he don't make stuff up".

So far as Marriott, whose corporate credo reportedly is "the only good Union is a busted Union", would they assume the existing Amtrak OB employees covered by Agreement or would they emulate the Subway fiasco?

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may well be made up, GBN. It was reported by an Amtrak passenger on a western train. He heard an Amtrak supervisor talking with a crew member. So guess that makes it a dtriple hearsay,

But it is interesting to speculate what a Marriottt operation would be like. More likely it might only be to provide catering service. Does Marriott still have a subsidiary that does that.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my opinion, Amtrak would be far better off to run its diners as coffee shops (with "blue plate specials" for sleeping car passengers) open throughout the day.

Beyond fast food, casual family dining is the norm in America, not reservation-type places.

Amtrak should target its food services to the predominate demographic on its trains and that is those sitting in coach.

Give a company like the Cheesecake Factory a try and see what happens. Or use one of the better airline caterers that has far more experience.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Holiday Inn Express Boca Raton--

Amtrak has gone that route in the past, Mr. Nadeau.

They have had Snack Bars staffed (Attendant @ overtime rate) 24/7, and they have had regional Dining Car menus with regional specialtes, such as Tex-Mex and Creole on the Sunset.

Now so far as their caterer goes, Aramark's bad name goes with them. Anyone remember the SP Automat? That was an Aramark invention. Walk into a potty at at a MickeyD, there's Aramark's logo on the towel dispenser. They are also caterers to many a "Correctional Institution" about the land.

Finally, the Sky Chef Short Ribs served aboard United flying overseas last August were tender and flavorful. Who knows what lay ahead on 52 (6). I just might be a "naughty boy" and find a Subway in Sanford "just in case". Only problem, 60 Mass could care less. Might the media? "Auto Train Passenger Says Food Is Vile". "Passenger traveling in a Bedroom stops at Subway before boarding".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be interested to hear your A-T report., GBN. I read recently that ridership is down while the rest of Amtrak trains are at least holding their own. I suspect Amtrak may have realized, perhaps too late, that the demographic of its passengers require a higher level of service. Aside from putting the first class lounge car back (also used for overflow diners) it will be interesting to see if your dinner is decent and your thoughts on the level of overall service.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Stay tuned on Monday.
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
In researching Marriott catering services I came across this fascinating link.

It would be ironic if this Marriott offshoot got back into catering for rail travelers.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
From Marriott Biscayne Bay Miami

Shall I run downstairs from the 29th floor to see if the General Manager is interested? [Razz] [Razz]

PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not exactly a pro-labor guy,

BUT

If Amtrak contracts out represented service to a non-union shop, and terminates represented employee jobs, the whole matter will end up at the National Labor Relations Board faster than Gil can say the BNSF mile marker at his home.

I think the employees may well win, too.

Worse, what happens if T&E and maintenance crafts strike in sympathy for on board service employees. A one week strike would muck up the system, period.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
From Marriott Biscayne Bay Miami--
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:

So far as Marriott, whose corporate credo reportedly is "the only good Union is a busted Union", would they assume the existing Amtrak OB employees covered by Agreement or would they emulate the Subway fiasco?

Let us keep that immediate thought in mind, even though Marriott has unionized properties, such as the one at which I now staying and a JW in Brickell, at which I Metro Moved down to (stopping off to see the AAF construction progress), and had "a couple grape juice" at their bar, and walked back to here.
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DonNadeau:
In my opinion, Amtrak would be far better off to run its diners as coffee shops (with "blue plate specials" for sleeping car passengers) open throughout the day.

Beyond fast food, casual family dining is the norm in America, not reservation-type places.

Amtrak should target its food services to the predominate demographic on its trains and that is those sitting in coach.

Give a company like the Cheesecake Factory a try and see what happens. Or use one of the better airline caterers that has far more experience.

How about a pizza caterer?. Some clever passengers did just that on a stalled Amtrak train:

https://is.gd/XeCqax

Maybe they could do that sort of thing on a regular, non-stalled run such as during a normal station stop.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love that.

Some CZ & SWC passengers have reported using a steakhouse in Galesburg, IL. They call up, give their credit card number, and then feast. This has to be timed right.

When it's really late eastbound, the CZ crew will call in an order for the entire train at a KFC in Mount Pleasant, IA. The KFC must really have to hustle to get that ready.

I've debated with myself having caterers deliver to long-distance trains as they do to airlines, but worry that what if a train gets stuck where such deliveries can't be made and there is no food?

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Progressive Railroading reports that the bidding process to contract out the operation of three LD routes is to move forth. Here is a key Fair Use quotation that shows this "ain't Goin nowhere":
  • Under the FAST Act, an entity may be an "eligible petitioner" for the pilot program only if it owns the relevant rail infrastructure on the route or has a "written agreement" with the rail infrastructure owner. Additionally, a winning bidder who doesn't own the infrastructure must obtain from the owner a written agreement that governs access issues
Visions of the Super and the Century must be dancing in Ed Ellis' head. And how about that other "bad actor", Coston of Corridor Capital, looking to find a home for his Hi-Level fleet.

I thought the Trump administration's policy was to be enough of these charades, but then anyone around here who has played the Washington game knows everything changes but nothing changes.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Agreed, GBN. This passage kills it:
"Lastly, several commenters stated an eligible petitioner could develop an operating plan that contracts with Amtrak to provide operating crews and uses Amtrak's existing access agreement, as long as the infrastructure owners agreed with the operating plan. FRA disagrees."

Only possible scenario where it could occur: Mr. Buffett gets involved although he has been hands off any micromanaging of his assets.

PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frankly, I see a report of "no bids provided" at the end of the RFP.
Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page