RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » On their way!

Author Topic: On their way!
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All--

I'm happy to report that Miss Vicki and Mr. Art are on their way to SEA on today's (6/17) Starlight. We had a brief meet and greet today at SBA. They are doing a cruise in Alaska and will connect on it with Mr. Kisor.

I noticed that there was a coach positioned between the Diner and the Lounge Car. The signage by the entry door said "Business Class". Is it only on the lower level of this one car?

We also took a look at "The World", the Private Apartment cruise ship which arrived here yesterday and will sail later today. Rumor has it that a studio apartment starts at $3 million. And then there's the HOA. And the vetting process. They turned down Oprah.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, as Business Class, if it can be called that rather than more descriptive "Coach + ", is offered on more LD trains, they seem to place the car to keep the "proletariat" traffic at least "down".

It's my understanding on both The Cardinal and Crescent, the Business Class car, is placed ahead of the Sleepers, so that those passengers will have access to the Diner after those in Sleeper.

The placement in the Starlight consist means they are betting that Coach Passengers will largely use the Lounge for their Food and Beverage needs, and only those using the Diner will be trekking through the Business Class car.

On both the (railroad) Builder and North Coast (rode 'em both "back when"), the Diner was behind the Portland cars added or cut at Spokane and Pasco respectively. The Diner was open to Coach passengers, who would need to trek through the Sleepers, but even fewer ventured there than today.

Finally, I sincerely hope Miss Vickie and Mr. Art are doing OK, and apparently have their health issues under control. As you know, I have met them face to face.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unlike tains 5 & 6, the Starlight was running ahead of schedule today, arriving at King Street Station 36 minutes early under clearing skies.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, we arrived early in Seattle today. It was a good trip with great personnel, good weather.

I found the food to be declining more each trip. Now there are only two dinner entrees in the PPC and they are repeated each day. Neither was very good. The three dessert options were also not great and ice cream is no longer available. The wine tasting now costs $7.50 plus $5.50 if you want cheese. It is open to sleeper and business class people.

Art wandered into business class. The upper level looked like standard coach seating but only had about six people in it. He went down to the lower level but was unable to access it. The movies in the PPC are no more. The cost exceeded the customer interest in it.

We're now at The Moore Hotel in Seattle. Built in 1907, right downtown and quite charming. We did opt for a room with a bathroom. Will enjoy the bed. We struggle with the train beds.

Looking forward to our cruise and to meeting Henry and his wife and his service dog Trooper. Alaska here we come.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bon Voyage, friends! It was good to see you in SBA and to wave at Art as you departed.

Frank in dark and cooling SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page