RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Of Possible Interest - Movie "In Transit"

Author Topic: Of Possible Interest - Movie "In Transit"
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Times has reviewed a "cinema verite" flick that may be of interest to some around here. Some may even see fit to use such to "make a case" for retention of "that vestige of another age" on which, along about 1976, were to have had that one word Spanish language drumhead hanging on the rear:

http://nytimes.com/2017/06/22/movies/in-transit-review-albert-maysles.html

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"were to have had that one word Spanish language drumhead hanging on the rear"

Help me out with this reference, Mr. Norman.

Frank in dark and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank:

Adios (the site will not accept the link I sent you privately)

In another life, maybe I will be a Producer for "Jeopardy".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the message and will respond later today. Thanks for adding to my trove of not quite useless knowledge!

Frank in foggy and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to see "In Transit" in New York a few nights ago, and it does an excellent job of conveying the atmosphere of a long distance train journey -- in this case the Empire Builder.

There's no narrator. For the most part, it spotlights random passengers -- mostly in coach and other all-access areas -- telling their stories either to the camera or to one another.

Some are on board in an attempt to leave someone or something behind. Others are headed toward what they hope will better future. Many are clearly traveling as a way to clear their head and heart.

The cinematography is often beautiful (and impressive, speaking as someone who has had hit-or-miss experiences trying to take photos while aboard moving trains). The interior footage was shot during two separate trips -- eastbound and westbound. An additional crew followed the trains to capture exterior shots.

The downside: the frequent visual cross-cutting between the eastbound and westbound trains is a bit disorienting -- you'll be in Montana one moment, in Spokane the next, in Minneapolis after that, and then back in Montana.

Several passengers are given far too much on-camera time (frankly, I've heard more interesting stories during my own trips). Then too, the only thing more boring than a drunk is an entire lounge car filled with them. The multiple sequences featuring inebriated oil field workers would have been better off left on the editing room floor.

But I was pleased that the film avoids depicting train travel as a luxury land cruise for well-heeled geezers. The Empire Builder comes across as a train for everyone -- and a lifeline for those too old to drive, too poor to fly, or simply too far from an airport.

It's definitely worth the trip.

--------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by dilly:
Then too, the only thing more boring than a drunk is an entire lounge car filled with them. The multiple sequences featuring inebriated oil field workers would have been better off left on the editing room floor.

Unfortunately Mr. Dilly, Lounge Cars are all too often just that. Although my LD riding has been limited to Auto Train of late, in which the Sleeper Lounge is as good as dead (they kept it when they were supposed to have killed it during '14), earlier rides to me were the less I saw of Lounges, the happier I be.

Your report has certainly comfirmed the "cinema verite" nature and scope of the film. If it makes it to Comcast On-Demand, then I guess I'll watch it.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Additional material regarding this film:

NPR

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page