RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Talgo derailment near Steilacoom

Author Topic: Talgo derailment near Steilacoom
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minor injuries and 4 cars off the tracks according to local media. The linked pictures show a toppled locomotive and 3 Talgo coaches off the tracks. One picture also shows some kinked rails, but the high temperature today was about 75 degrees. I'm guessing that heat won't be a contributing factor to the accident.

I know the accident location well, it's right by the bridge near the golf course about 10 minutes south of the Tacoma station. It isn't clear to me if the toppled locomotive was pulling or pushing the train. Usually the locomotives are in push mode on trips to Seattle and in pull mode on trips to Portland but that isn't always the case.

I expect more details will be available in the morning.

edit: looking at the picture galley, it looks like this trainset is one of the new(er) sets purchased by Oregon

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh well, if they can't fix those tin cans up, I think I know where they can find some ready to go replacements.

But then, my first and likely last ride in Talgo equipment was Bilbao-Madrid during May 1990.

Not impressed.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Came out better than I would have expected. Since I first saw pictures and descriptions of these things I considered them to be a row of tin cans between a pair of bricks.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing new in the local media about the derailment this morning. BNSF cleared the tracks last night and all scheduled trips seem to be running today.

I've never felt unsafe riding the Talgos. They seem to be very strong at the articulations and I imagine there is a sturdy beam running underneath the car floor for crush protection. I'm not a structural engineer but the only vulnerability of the cars seems be in the case of a T-bone collision at a grade crossing. I don't see much protection from that kind of impact. But I feel much safer in a Talgo than in a Bombardier Bi-Level.

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there enough Superliner and Horizon cars available so that they will be ready to go with replacement equipment for the peak travel tomorrow?
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're on 11(3). We slowed to pass the equipment and workers at the derailment site. They were laying a new bit of track. The ground was crushed where the engine had lain but all cars removed. The engine was just next to the water and oil containment booms were in place.

Interesting embarkation at King Street. Only one check in conductor so she called for one line, sleeper and coach combined. This made for a very long line, out to the street doors. The exceptional red cap saw old man with cane, got me out of line and checked us in, transported us to our car and even took the carry on bag upstairs.

On #11 the PPC menu identical to #14 two weeks ago. Dining car boss, PJ, says they use same menu nationwide for about six months. Sad thing. Despite the many announcements about full train the POC is only lightly populated.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
There should be coverage for a missing trainset. There will be 2 additional SEA<>PDX roundtrips added this fall and there currently are enough trainsets to cover those additional trips, so there shouldn't be a problem with the current schedule.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Miss. Vicki, sorry to learn Mr. Art now needs a cane to move about.

But alas, when I go overseas next month, I think I will treat myself to the "White glove livery service" for the journey to O'Hare. I'm simply getting too old to deal with my "poor man's way to O'Hare" (BNSF to CUS, then CTA Blue Line) - especially with 20 lbs. of luggage (trust me, they DO dress up for concerts at Salzburg) that I carry as distinct from wheeling.

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil, a 25 min. cab ride from O'Hare to CUS took 1 hr., 45 min. for me last Thurs. night. That town's a mess!
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This appeared to have occured at the derail in approach to the drawbridge over the entrance to Chambers Bay. An interesting little bridge. A description of it from an item published in the Federal Register:
quote:
The Chambers Creek Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad vertical lift railroad bridge across Chambers Creek, mile 0.01, near Steilacoom in Pierce County, WA, has a vertical clearance of 10ft in the closed-to-navigation position, and 50ft of vertical clearance in the open-to-navigation position.
For a picture, see Bridgehunter,
http://bridgehunter.com/wa/pierce/bh46496/
In this it is described as having a maximum span of 97 feet and being a "Strauss patent direct-lift vertical lift bridge, pony truss."
Another article about the bridge with some good pictures is https://www.aisc.org/globalassets/modern-steel/archives/2014/12/centurion.pdf
This bridge was built in 1914, is a very unique bridge, one of only three like it ever built in the US (maybe one or a few in Canada?), and the only one remaining in the US, plus one in Canada. Based on the article in the Steel magazine, it is opened/closed by four 25 horsepower motors.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
For a span that short, what would have been wrong with a Bascule bridge?

But then, having Mr. Newton providing much of the lifting power makes sense when compared with most Lift Bridges where Mr. Edison does all the lifting.

Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Thanks for the info on the Chambers Creek Bridge, Mr. Harris. I've always looked at that bridge and wondered how it worked. When I was writing the opening post I almost described the bridge as a "gantry bridge" but that definition didn't seem quite right. It is a very distinctive bridge and anyone who rides the Cascades or Coast Starlight will know exactly what bridge we're talking about.

Railnet provides a few pictures of the bridge at Chambers Creek.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Vincent: Thanks for the pictures and other information. In the BNSF employee timetable the bridge is described as West Tacoma, Drawbridge 14. It is shown as having a 40 mph speed limit, with speeds in approaches shown as
MP 13.2 - 14.0
Talgo 67
Passenger 60
Freight 50

MP 14.0 - 14.3 Includes the bridge
40 mph all types of trains

MP 14.3 - 15.9
50 mph all types of trains

Mr.Norman: Concerning bridge types:
A lift is in general the preferred type because everything stays oriented the same way in relation to gravity. That is, you don't have to contend with having everything tight enough that the rail and other miscellaneous items don't want to slide when the bridge is in the up position. The need for the huge center pier located at what frequently is the deepest part of the stream and most likely to be kissed by river traffic is a major disadvantage of the swing span, also the navigatable channel is less than half the movable length of the bridge.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Await the NTSB Preliminary; it will make for an interesting read.

What we will not know, because transcripts of "fair and impartial..." are sealed, is who will "do some time" and on which road they are/were employed.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Don't hold your breath waiting for the NTSB report. These things usually take about a year. I would suspect this one to be fairly straigtforward concerning the "what" and "how", but the "why" probably much less so. My thoughts on that last I will keep to myself.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Harris, let us note my use of the term Preliminary. That report of an incident is usually available about a month after the occurrence.

But of course, I wholly concur that the Final is not available for a year.

NTSB investigations are not admissible at an employee Hearing, as the Carrier has seven days to call for such after "first knowledge" of the incident giving rise. Admissible at such hearing is that a violation of either Amtrak or a host road's Rule has occurred. Investigations of host road (in this case BNSF) employees will occur on their property and under their Agreement. However Amtrak officers, can be called for testimony at such.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
True. Sorry, did not read carefully enough.

quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Mr. Harris, let us note my use of the term Preliminary. That report of an incident is usually available about a month after the occurrence.

But of course, I wholly concur that the Final is not available for a year.

NTSB investigations are not admissible at an employee Hearing, as the Carrier has seven days to call for such after "first knowledge" of the incident giving rise. Admissible at such hearing is that a violation of either Amtrak or a host road's Rule has occurred. Investigations of host road (in this case BNSF) employees will occur on their property and under their Agreement. However Amtrak officers, can be called for testimony at such.

Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Cause of the derailment appears to be human error. A statement released by Amtrak says, in part:
quote:
"The cause of the incident has been determined to be human error. The train failed to slow to the maximum 40 mph speed limit while approaching the bridge. As a result, a derail switch activated (the derail switch protects the bridge operations). The engineer’s performance has been addressed in accordance with Amtrak procedures. The safety of our passengers and employees remains our number one priority."
I will leave further comments to those who know more than I do.
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://is.gd/bbsjkv

"The passenger rail service says that insurance will cover the cost of damages to the passenger cars, but there’s a $100,000 deductible. They say that ODOT, as the legal owner of the equipment, will be responsible for paying the deductible. Furthermore, Amtrak says that when the passenger cars are out for repair, the states may need to pay to rent other train cars".

Interesting situation. Does WSDOT pay for anything? What about track damage?. Was it on BNSF track?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page