RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Train 4 of 25th hit Cattle truck in Reading KS 7-27

Author Topic: Train 4 of 25th hit Cattle truck in Reading KS 7-27
daniel3197
Member # 27

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for daniel3197     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SW Chief Train 4 hit a cattle Truck at Reading KS. This location is south and before the Topeka KS station stop.
The lead unit on Train 4 is damaged and needs to be replaced with probably a freight unit.
That is all I know, the involved train is officially Trian 4 of the 25th.
Incident location is about 12.8 miles northeast of Emporia KS.
I do hope for the best for the crew and passengers aboard this train.
I hope that Train 6 California Zephyr stops in Mendota IL in light of the huge delay Sw chief train 4 is taking with this incident.

KSNT news KSNT TV from Topeka KS has the story in this weblink :
http://ksnt.com/2017/07/27/train-hits-cattle-truck-near-reading/

---Daniel

Posts: 283 | From: Palo Alto,CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel3197
Member # 27

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel3197     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellnet well-written aritlce in the Emporia Gazette about this unfortunate crash:
http://www.emporiagazette.com/area_news/article_d7f5d6d4-72d0-11e7-9135-ff5b1a641985.html

Posts: 283 | From: Palo Alto,CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the website #4 (25) arrived CHI 105A or some 555ML.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Critical in the comments: Rural unprotected grade crossing. Good ole Ray pulled a dumbass.

Well, will Amtrak, KS, or the BNSF pony up to protect this crossing now?

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PullmanCo:
Critical in the comments: Rural unprotected grade crossing. Good ole Ray pulled a dumbass.

Well, will Amtrak, KS, or the BNSF pony up to protect this crossing now?

Why should they? It is a rural crossing on a fairly lightly traveled road. I am tired of the "somebody else should do something to protect me from my own stupidity" whines.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George,

In this case, a CDL licensed trucker jacked up Train 4. I'm more concerned about the time 4 was down on the advertised, injuries to the crew, injuries to the passengers, and breakage to the equipment, than I am about the trucker.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page