RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak and the Aug 21 Solar Eclipse

Author Topic: Amtrak and the Aug 21 Solar Eclipse
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak is promoting a train trip to Carbondale, ILL, for a view of the Aug 21 solar eclipse. Apparently, Carbondale will have the longest visibility time, 2 min & 38 sec. Amtrak suggests either the Illini or Saluki, and you may have to get there a day early. The "City of New Orleans" gets into Carbondale past midnight, so not much chance with 1:21 AM and 3:16 AM arrival times.

https://is.gd/ZhF1a8

Likewise, the Cascades are suggesting a train trip to the Northwest for eclipse watching, as they expect a lot of auto traffic and congested highways for the event.

Here is some information, for individual states, that gives you best venues for watching as well as times of day.

https://is.gd/VvXXnO

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a notice of a PV trip on the Star NYP to Columbia, SC for the occasion. Believe I'll watch from our deck and save a couple thousand bucks!
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak #399 (21) departing CUS @ 300A. It will make one stop at CHM. Return is #398 (21) leaving CDL 515P.

I'll be overseas; I'm sure YouTube will have all I'll want to see of this event.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Amtrak #399 (21) departing CUS @ 300A. It will make one stop at CHM. Return is #398 (21) leaving CDL 515P.

I'll be overseas; I'm sure YouTube will have all I'll want to see of this event.

The special Amtrak train, to Carbondale, is sold out:

https://is.gd/wMzJE0

Here, in Northern Calif, we only get a partial. I'm sure YouTube will have it. I think I may check out Fox or CNN to see if they have some live coverage.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be in Nashville on the 20th but, unfortunately, have to leave that day to get back for a commitment here in Santa Barbara so I will miss the Eclipse.

We saw one in Budapest while cruising on the Danube. Awesome! The lights on the bridges all came on and the plum brandy made it even more memorable!

Frank in dark and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
I got a notice of a PV trip on the Star NYP to Columbia, SC for the occasion. Believe I'll watch from our deck and save a couple thousand bucks!

I hear a lot of people are headed to Kiawah Island, off the SC coast, to observe the eclipse.
Wouldn't be a bad idea to sit in a lounge chair, on the beach, and sip bloody marys while waiting for the sun to go dark.

By the way, I wonder how many people will experience retinal damage by looking at too much sun and not enough eclipse.

Richard

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see a 90% coverage sitting at home.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Mr. Palmland, you will have a 99.9% coverage as well occurring at 243P ET:

https://www.space.com/33797-total-solar-eclipse-2017-guide.html

Alas, none in Salzburg.

Times editorial

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We'll be home just in time. Yippee. PV Francis L. Suter will bring a charter group down on the Carolinian for the occasion. It's a good looking car and we may see it on our way home as its home is on the Strasburg RR.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
From EC 360 to Munich East

From what I've seen on youtube it was "quite a show".

Today is my 31 hour day, i.e. 24hr + 7 time zones.

Just passed into DE; Aug wiedersheim AT

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How was your return flight? As good as going over? I usually prefer daytime flying.

BTW, I had a misconnect at ORD last Thursday and found the airport surprisingly clean and easy to get around. I had to go from C21 to E10 where I was able to wave Good Bye to my Nashville flight. Back to B and the United Club for a departure two hours later from B1.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I'm back in the barn.

The flight crew that came over to MUC on 952 AUG 20, had a three class 777-222, but guess what showed up for 953 AUG 22 - a two class Acft #2143 777-300 (Polaris configured). The First Attendant said to me she had never seen one before and same for any other Attendant with whom I had contact. So there was an Abbott and Costello moment or two, such as when I placed my "personal" bag under the seat. Quickly I was tactfully "jumped" by a gal who said it had to be overhead. A minute later she's back and said it can go under the seat for takeoff. She apologized and said this aircraft was new to her (she was not some youngster who was on Reserve)
I said "how much training did they give you on this bird?". "They showed us a video". What tact I was given by the Good Lord kept me from asking "how about evacuation".

Gripe (and I probably the only passenger who could care); I wish the IFE Flight Map who show heading and wind direction and speed. Funny how it does show rudder so don't try there was no wind!!!

But I really think that Polaris will get United "back in the game" with premium passengers who are free to make the choice.

All told I say to Mr. Palmland, regardless of who you fly, pop your pennies for the premium product on your next journey over.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Sounds like a good flight, GBN. I've got flight envy after we sat in our cramped coach seat for the 12 hour ordeal CLT-PHL-ATH trip.

But then, a free FF trip covers a lot of misery and even if paying, I believe I'd rather save the money for more time at destination. On a train (or ship) it's usually about the journey, not the destination. On a plane, it's the reverse. So I'll gladly pony up the extra dollars for a bedroom on the CZ or a BC seat on the lowly Palmetto.

Sounds like you had a good time on your trip and DBB provided a joy ride or two.

As to the eclipse, we had an Eclipse party in the back yard of our church. Even though there was still a dim light on the horizon (we were on the edge of totality), it was amazing to see the lights come on, the stars out, and the nighttime insects making their noises.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page