RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » MN State Capitol (OT)

Author Topic: MN State Capitol (OT)
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to remember forum member sojourner having in interest in touring state capitols, and reaching them by train. Minnesota just completed a 3 year $310 million renovation (which my son worked on) and it is only about one light rail mile from Amtrak (MSP) in St. Paul. I believe this is a capitol sojourner still intended to see. The attached is a well presented interactive graphic by a local paper on what is new.
http://www.startribune.com/renovation-of-the-minnesota-state-capitol/436316953/
The new St. Paul Union Depot (the new Amtrak depot) is worth a look as well.
http://www.uniondepot.org/

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OT reply but it is great to see a post from you Jerry. It's been a while.

I recently expanded my rail forum friends by taking a cruise to Alaska with Henry Kisor and his lovely wife Debbie. And of course his terrific service dog Trooper.

I miss the old gang here and always keep my eyes open to be sure no ponies get by me.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Vicki. This morning I walked down to see the Empire Builder roll by our community garden as it entered St. Paul. Still a foamer. No ponies. No bagpipes. Just think what might have been had they only listened to us.

I always quote Mr. Henry Kisor when asked about good places to go by train. He said "There is nothing like Glacier. Nothing."

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vickie, as a dog lover I'm curious how dogs are handled on a ship. Do they have an artificial grass area? I'm envious of other countries that seem to have no problem with pets on a train yet no pets allowed on Amtrak LD trains.

Somehow it was not a problem 50 years ago when many bedroom windows had a dog in them headed to Florida for the 'season'. But I suspect many dogs are not so well behaved now. As dog lovers know, there are no bad dogs, just bad owners.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that my Flatkote/Newfoundland "Lucky" (1992-2003) would have "expected" nothing less than a Bedroom. He'd take what he wanted; I'd get what was left.

He'd give pony rides to little kids in the Lounge and "expect" to be seated in the Diner.

There was even a time when #4 stopped at Clarendon Hills station for a Stop Signal. The Conductrix alighted "to protect the rear". Lucky wanted to board, but didn't get too far.

Rest in peace, beloved friend. You brought so much love to so many "down here". I know you are bringing so much to so many "topside".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A nice eulogy, GBN. We lost our beloved Basset several months ago. Now that our travels are over for a while, we'll be doing a dog search this fall. Can't stand being without our best friend.

Sorry for the thread hijack, TSR

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tallulah is with Lucky (not my idea of a dog's name; he came with it when I got him @ age 2) and they are having "tugs of war", rassilin, and when tired she will go to sleep resting on him.

May she rest in peace.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Thanks, Gil.
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Palmland - on the ship the service dogs have a real grass area to do their thing. Henry is writing a new book. The subject is traveling with a service dog by air, train and ship.

Henry's blog has lots of interesting stuff about Trooper. Check it out.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep us posted on Henry's new book, Vicki.

A good friend from my Peace Corps days and her partially sighted husband were part of a group of 30 sailing on a Princess ship several years ago. 15 Guide Dogs all of whom were well behaved and treated like VIP's by the ship's Officers and Crew.

Frank in sunny and warming SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page