RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » 1st Passenger Train In 59 Years

Author Topic: 1st Passenger Train In 59 Years
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was 1958 when they last passenger train rolled into Santa Rosa, along the Northwestern Pacific RR line. Yesterday, a SMART train (Sonoma-Marin-Area-Rapid-Transit) made its inaugural run from San Rafael to Santa Rosa.

https://is.gd/W1nF1o

The SMART train system uses 2-car Nippon Sharyo DMU trainsets, assembled in Rochelle, Illinois. A middle, non-motorized car, can be inserted between the 2-car set for added capacitance. Ultimately, 9 car sets will be used on the line.

Right now, the SMART train is kind of dumb. The southern terminal is San Rafael with the northern terminal at the Sonoma County airport, about 7 miles north of Santa Rosa, with stops along the way. You can drive the distance in about 45 min. However, it gets more interesting with the completion of the entire route. The trains will run from Larkspur, CA (about 11 miles north of the Golden Gate bridge) to Cloverdale, CA in northern Sonoma County. About 70 miles in distance.

I think I will take it when the Healdsburg, CA depot opens. Healdsburg is only 15 miles north of Santa Rosa. It's a neat little town, with plenty of really good restaurants. Might be fun to take the train up there for lunch or dinner.

Too bad the train won't eventually run up to Eureka, as in the old days.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear it's finally off and running. Saw it last summer when testing and it seemed to me it had pretty limited capacity but maybe it can be expanded. When it reaches Larkspur are there plans for a ferry connection to SF?Then it really would be fun to ride.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know of a planned, dedicated ferry service, Mr. Palmland, for the SMART train in Larkspur. There may well eventually be one.

The current ferry service from Larkspur to the Ferry Building, in San Francisco, runs about every 1/2 hour from arouund 6AM until 9PM, in both directions.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Related trivia question; did the NWP join Amtrak?

The answer may surprise you.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Mr. Norman: I don't know what the acronym "NWA" stands for. Did you mean "NWP"?

Let us know the answer to the trivia question..sounds interesting.

Richard

Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A SMART-trip is something I'll be putting on my to-do list. There is convenient air service between Seattle and the Sonoma County airport via Alaska/Horizon so the lack of a southern connection isn't too much of a problem for me.

It seems like this operation has been in the planning and building phases forever. I know there were issues with the ROW and finding the appropriate rolling stock. Do the SMART cars use high level platforms? Hopefully this can be the beginning of successful local DMU operations on shared freight tracks.

NWP did join Amtrak. The question is: why? Tax breaks?

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course Richard; Mr. Google seems to know better what I want to write better than I do myself.

Regarding NWP joining Amtrak, Vincent is correct. The reason I learned was that they were concerned, being an IntRAstate road, a California regulatory agency might force them to restore service. Since Federal Law trumps State, joining gave them protection from such possibility.

Since somehow they showed "The Redwood", which did survive to A-Day, was out of pocket profitable, their entry fee was a whopper - $1.00.

I've actually seen a copy of the voucher - sent to me by a friend with Amtrak.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Mr. Norman, thanks for the explanation.

Vincent: I believe SMART trains have high level platforms. I haven't been to the new SMART stations in Santa Rosa, one downtown and the other at the airport.

Yes, Alaska-Horizon has a direct flight from both Seattle and Portland to Santa Rosa. Also a direct flight from LA, Orange County, and San Diego. United Airlines is coming to the Sonoma County Airport (Santa Rosa) but I don't know just when, as well as proposed routes.

The NWP extends south to Schellville, Calif (a little southwest of Napa), NWP operates freight services under lease from the North Coast Railroad Authority. I wonder if the SMART train might eventually go to Schellville. If they could provide a shuttle bus to the Amtrak Martinez station, it would mean access to 4 Amtrak trains. I think it would be a 40-45 min. bus ride from Schellville to Martinez.

Richard

Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in the Bay Area this week and I took a day to SMART-ride and spend a little time in Santa Rosa. First off, SMART does not really serve the Charles M. Shultz-Sonoma County Airport (STS) very conveniently. The airport is over a mile from the airport and anyone with luggage is going to need a taxi or rideshare to connect between STS and SMART. The current schedule is also pretty limited outside of commute hours, so be sure to plan carefully to avoid a long wait.

Each Nippon Sharyo railcar has a seating capacity of 79 or 158 per trainset. The interior is designed for commuter operation but there is a staffed food kiosk on each train offering snacks, coffee and, of course, wine. The ride was smooth, acceleration was good and the seats were comfortable enough for me to doze off just south of Petaluma and not wake up until almost San Rafael. The trip from Santa Rosa to San Rafael takes 67 minutes and the fare was $11.50. If the rolling stock continues to perform well it might be possible to consider more DMU services around the country. Certainly if anyone is seriously studying the Billings to Missoula via Helena corridor, these Nippon Sharyo railcars would be the perfect equipment.

The SMART corridor is a mix of single and double track running which may limit the number of trips at full build out. The extension to Larkspur will require a major reconfiguration of the San Rafael Transit Center but offering a direct connection from the Larkspur Ferry without an intermediate bus ride should bring a big boost in ridership. Construction on the Larkspur extension has just begun but I couldn't find an estimated completion date on the SMART website.

I rode the 1249pm southbound train from (not) Sonoma County Airport Station and ridership was pretty good with more than half the seats occupied. Many of the riders were first-time customers and most seemed to be happy with the service. Compared to bumper-to-bumper traffic on Highway 101 or a seat on a dilapidated Golden Gate Transit bus the SMART trains are an incredible luxury.

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
I can't find any information on a projected completion date for the southern connection with Larkspur. No estimates for completion of the northern stops of Healdsburg and Cloverdale.

Yes, you will need a shuttle from the airport stop to the actual airport terminal. Too bad the train doesn't arrive within walking distance of the terminal.

This link shows the interior of one of the cars:

https://is.gd/LLf4gq

I wonder if there are several seats with tables? Some of my relatives and I plan a trip from Santa Rosa to San Rafael in late Oct. We were wondering if tables are available for playing cards. I think we will leave from the airport, not downtown Santa Rosa, as parking is limited at downtown Railroad Square. I hear there is plenty of parking at the airport.

The ridership, for paying passengers, is greater than expected. They hoped for around 47 thousand, but have had 53 thousand riding the train. I would think the ridership will drop once the "first time experience" passengers drop off.

Richard

Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
There are plenty of table groups on the trains. In fact, I thought there might be too many tables for a commuter train but you should be able to find an empty table group if you leave from the airport station.

There are only 50 parking spots at the Airport station and the lot was full when I arrived at about 1215pm. There is on-street parking near the station if you are OK with leaving your car on the street. The neighborhood was mostly light industrial, business parks and farming--probably safe for daylight parking.

DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love that the projected plans include a direct ferry connection in Larkspur.

As for future growth, Marin, one of the two counties involved, is incredibly transit friendly, and Amtrak runs three Thruways a day to Sonoma the other.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Richard, are you OK?
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked up on an acquaintance of mine who lives in Santa Rosa. She said that she was fine, but the destruction is incomprehensible. I hope Richard is ok.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Richard, are you OK?

Thanks for your concern, Mr. Norman. Yes, thankfully, I'm ok and I think my home will survive. The fire nearest my home is now 25% contained. There is going to be increased wind speeds Sat, so we hope that won't make the situation a lot worse.

An unreal week! I woke up Monday morning, (Oct 9) and noticed no electricity. I tuned in our local AM radio station to see if there were estimates as to when the power would return. I then heard something about fires in the area.
A little latter, my sister and brother-in-law, who live about 1 mile from my house, knocked on my front door and told me there was an advisory evacuation (or possible mandatory evacuation) in our area. I packed up some needed belongings and documents and we headed to Sebastopol, 7 miles to the west. We were very fortunate in getting rooms, in a local motel, for each of my 2 Santa Rosa sisters and their husbands, and for me.

As I left, I looked to the Northwest where a costly housing district called "Fountain Grove" is located. Fountain Grove homes are located on 2 ridges. I could see not only smoke but flames from the ridge closest to me. That was really scary. Fountain Grove is only about 3-4 miles from my house. Many to most of the homes were destroyed. I don't think any of the homes cost less than 1 million each.

My eldest sister lives in a senior housing community, in east Santa Rosa, called "Oakmont". We heard, Tues, that a fire was coming from south to north, right into Oakmont. Oakmont has around 4,000 residents. They had mandatory evacuation. However, I heard, on the radio, that only from 1-5 homes were destroyed, and those home were sort of apart from other homes. They now are hopeful that no more homes will burn. I think Mr. Palmland has a relative in Oakmont, so I hope every thing will be ok with that home and my sister's home.

As my home is under advisory but not mandatory evacuation, I returned to me home, a couple of times, to make sure the house was still standing. It was, as was my sister's house 1 mile away. We just had electricity return, today, and the main Santa Rosa fire is 25% contained. I think that I will be ok, but strong winds are expected Saturday, and we are hoping that won't make the situation worse. If not, I may return to my home Sun or Mon if I feel save.

They say 2800 homes lost in Santa Rosa, not to mention the other homes in Sonoma and Napa counties. They have fire fighters from all over the state and neighboring states fighting the fire.

A week I will never forget.

Richard

Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Glad to hear you're safe, Richard. I was just in your neighborhood 2 weeks ago and it's shocking to look at the videos of the fires. Stay safe.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
We are a community here - more so than many another site; and thank you so much, Richard, for remembering to "check in".
Member # 2933

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moderator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whew....sigh of relief

Like many others here, constant checking of this topic to hear of any news from you.

Posts: 169 | From: Northwest Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, that's great news that all is well.

We do have friends, not relatives, in Oakmont. Thanks for asking. I checked on them earlier this week. Fortunately they are on a trip to New England so were spared the anxiety of evacution. But, It has to be tough to be away and not be sure if everything is ok. But, like you, no damage reported - so far.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So good that all's well with you. Years ago had to evacuate twice while living in California.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very glad to hear you are OK, Richard. We've been evacuated twice here in SBA so know the feeling only too well.
Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope things continue safely for you and yours
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
I returned to my home this afternoon (Oct 18th) after 9 nights in the motel in Sebastopol. I am very thankful that my house and my 2 sister's homes are perfectly ok and the fires did not really get too near. There was a fire, on top of a ridge a little to the northeast of my housing area, which was hard to contain. Thus, people in my housing area were just about the last to have their mandated evacuation lifted.

So many friends and acquaintances were not as fortunate. My niece lost her apartment complex and her place of business burned to the ground.
My ophthalmologist's home went up in flames, as did 2 of his office workers.

I will say that the community has really been brought together by the tragedy. Some of the fire fighters and police officers lost their homes, but continued on duty to help others.

I very much appreciate the kind wishes and kind thoughts of everyone.

Now, I have to reschedule when I will get a chance to take the SMART train to San Rafael. What a dissapointment [Smile]

Richard

MargaretSPfan
Member # 3632

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MargaretSPfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yukon11 --
WheW!! I am sooooo glad you and your home are OK!!

I hope all your utilities are working well.

So many heroes...... fighting the fires and helping others, even as their hearts are broken by their own losses.

I feel awful for everyone who lost their homes and/or workplaces. I am glad the community came together.

I am around 80 miles south of you, and on Wed., Oct. 11, the air down here was horrible, but n ot after that day.

I am so proud of all those who were helping and are helping your folks up north. Most people are basically decent folks.

My best wishes to everyone up north as people rebuild and go on with their lives.

Posts: 211 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
From Best Western Marion IL---

A hero - I mean it!!!

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/mailman-returns-to-route-after-ca-wildfires-1077277763960

And here is "the special story":

https://youtu.be/l0GkNvjYY-I

DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
SMART just faced its first grade crossing accident. An inattentive bike rider.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/SMART-Train-his-bicyclist-who-cops-say-was-on-his-12292381.php?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page