RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Express Meal Service on the CS

Author Topic: Express Meal Service on the CS
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at the Coast Starlight schedule, on the new Amtrak web site, I noticed something interesting. Looking just below the Starlight timetable, under a green heading, you see:

"Just-for-You Express Meal Service for Coach passengers: Daily menu featuring specially priced, freshly prepared lunch and dinner selections with the convenience of at-seat delivery."

Is this for all coach seats, or just business class? If the Express Meal Service is available in coach, could it also be available for passengers in sleepers? Anyone know?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a report at another site this same service is also being offered on 7-8, Empire Builder.

I can recall during '06, a really, and I mean really, dedicated SC Attendant named Brenda, was wondering "why can't they do something like that?".

She worked as a Coach Attendant when she couldn't hold Sleeper, and when her passengers asked about the Diner, she felt she had to be "straight up" telling them "think $20 for an adult and $10 for a kid". She said to me "why can't they just offer some kind of casserole' such as lasagna or turkey tetrazzini, serve it away from Dining hours, and charge $7; they'd have takers".

I think Amtrak listened to this special employee, and others of her same ilk, and are now trying it out some ten years later.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just called Amtrak to ask them about their Express Meal Service.

The Amtrak agent said that this service has been in effect for a while. News to me! The Amtrak agent said that any coach seat or sleeping car passenger can have this service, and, yes, the meals are delivered to your coach seat or sleeping accommodation.

He said to request the Express Meal Service, you have to indicate that you would like this service when you get your train reservations. I don't know if you can do so on line, with Julie, or if you have to get a live person for such request. You state that you would like a "special service request" for express meal service.

I never ride in coach... do the Amtrak coach seats have fold-down trays, in the seat ahead, for food service similar to the airlines?

It looks like Brenda, and others, have had influence in the front office. I've been waiting for this sort of food service for some time. It is also really cool if the service is available on the Empire Builder. However, dealing with Amtrak over the years, I don't think you can assume anything is certain until verified over time.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, the only thing in the back of the seat ahead in coach is a net compartment for reading material.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghCBNS
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghCBNS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you travel coach on VIA…..everyone is served at their seat from a trolley….airline style. Tray table either folds down or comes out of the armrest. Here’s a corridor menu:

http://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/menus/111140657-1_VIA_Economy_Menu_Change-Cosmetique.pdf

Business Class passengers (it’s more like first-class) are served complementary hot meals, beer and wine.

http://www.viarail.ca/en/travel-info/onboard-train/meals

Posts: 239 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Traveling business class on the Coast Starlight last year didn't include meals, just a very small food credit. We could use the Parlour Car but not dine in it (due to space).

Tried the express meal & it was quite good served at seat. It wasn't just something off the regular Amtrak menu.

This is brilliant on Amtrak's part as it frees up the dining car at peak periods & also has a price low enough to attract more coach business.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Don: I'm glad to know that the express meal was good. A couple of questions:

You say your express meal was served at your seat. Do business class seats have fold down trays for meals? Ocala Mike says there are no fold down trays in regular coach, which leads one to wonder if one has to hold a tray of food in one's lap if it's a coach seat.

Did you ask for express meal service when you obtained your train reservations, or did you simply tell your car attendant that you wanted a seat-delivered express meal?

Richard

DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Richard.

There was no need to reserve prior to the trip. Don't believe that there is a way to order prior. I get bored with the regular Amtrak choices.

The seats in my Superliner car had fold down trays. However Amtrak had not yet installed business class seats on the upper level. I was far more interested in enjoying the Starlight's great scenery from up high than the seats.

The attendant did take my order and told me when it would arrive.

In case you haven't traveled the Starlight before, be sure to ask for a seat on the right going south and one on the left side if traveling north. That will add much to your enjoyment. Also, be sure to claim a seat in the Parlour Car well before you reach the coast between Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo.

I always advise northbound if traveling just one way. Far less likely to miss the coast in daylight if late.

Hope this helps. Enjoy. it's a great ride.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yukon11:

Ocala Mike says there are no fold down trays in regular coach

Most of my travel is in the east, so I was speaking about Viewliner coaches.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Ok, Mike, I stand corrected.

Richard

DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
I always feel sorry for those who travel Amtrak in the East. Tiny (to us) windows, inferior legroom, no high level viewing either in coach, sleeping or sightseer lounge cars (ex. Auto Train & Capitol Limited).

Look at a Superliner coach below. Years ago that was what airline first class looked like in terms of legroom & quality of seats.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=604&ei=IysPWsuUM8rd0gLqg76ABg&q=amtrak+superliner+coach+seats&oq=amtrak+superliner+coach&gs_l=img.1.0.0l3j0i24k1.1848. 8238.0.10245.23.23.0.0.0.0.203.2873.2j15j2.19.0....0...1.1.64.img..4.19.2867...0i8i30k1.0.Dx8wlFFhlSs

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
I prefer Viewliner sleepers (roomettes)to Superliner sleepers. Other way around with coaches. Personal preference, I guess.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page