RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak to rebuild enough Superliners for two trainsets

Author Topic: Amtrak to rebuild enough Superliners for two trainsets
Trainsandmore
Member # 896

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainsandmore   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trainsmag.com just reported that Amtrak plans to repair and return to service 26 pieces of wreck-damaged equipment by September 2003, President David L. Gunn wrote November 13 in a memo to employees.

"We should get about 16 pieces of Superliner equipment back in service by the end of [September]," Gunn wrote. "These cars will create esswentially two new long-distance trainsets."

Amtrak has been particularly short of Superliner equipment since the April 2002 wreck of the Auto Train in Florida and the July 2002 derailment of the Capitol Limited in Maryland.

Due to the shortage of equipment this summer, sleeper consists were reduced on some Western long-distance trains. The Washington-Chicago Cardinal lost its Superliner equipment in favor of single-level Amfleet equipment, as well.

More than 100 wreck-damaged cars have languished at the Beech Grove complex near Indianapolis, some of them for years, as Amtrak tried to meet a self-sufficiency deadline set by Congress. The shop at Bear, Del., will repair 10 wreck-damaged single-level cars, Gunn said.

Amtrak has recalled nearly 100 workers total to the two shops. "We are working very closely with the unions to try and get their cooperation on how the work will be managed, particularly at Beech Grove," Gunn wrote. "If we achieve cooperation, we will be hiring back many more employees."

Gunn said it was critical for the shops to work efficiently and on budget.

"We are struggling to stay within a very tight budget," Gunn wrote. "I wish I had another $200 million because I could move ahead faster on additional equipment repair and reinvestment in our plant. However, we will do the best with what we have and squeeze every penny out of every dollar."

Posts: 136 | From: Biloxi,MS,USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That answers the question I posed under the "Amtrak rehiring workers.." thread.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trainsandmore
Member # 896

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainsandmore   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopefully we will see more trains too. Such as the Crescent Star, the Caprock Chief, or even the Pioneer, and the Desert Wind Again. That would be great, I would open a lot more options and Amtrak ridership would go up.
Posts: 136 | From: Biloxi,MS,USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard of most of the old routes, but where did the Caprock Chief go from and to?

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't start getting out wish lists too soon. In fact, I would not even expect to see the Cardinal restored to Superliner equipment during this FY.

The hard fact of life is that 16 cars is simply a "zero-sum' gain.

I know that "Kensington was to be the wreck to end all wrecks", but then wasn't Crescent City, or even Nodaway??.

In short, expect that Amtrak will loose another 16 Superliners to wrecks and other misfortunes during the remainder of this FY. The only way to see a Superliner-restored Cardinal would be 26 cars this FY - and it sounds like there "aint enuf copper in the hopper" to comtemplate that.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 11-21-2002).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chip
Member # 1733

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chip     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neat. What is "The Caprock Chief?". I've never heard of it.
Posts: 16 | From: Richmond, Virginia-USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chip
Member # 1733

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chip     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the Caprock Chief? Oh, and my messages aren't posting. I wonder what's wrong? Help. LOL!
Posts: 16 | From: Richmond, Virginia-USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...expect that Amtrak will loose another 16 Superliners to wrecks and other misfortunes during the remainder of this FY.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from my calculations 16 cars represents about 4% of the Superliner fleet. That kind of annual loss to accidents seems excessive.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stand on that statement, Mr. Toy.

They certainly lost 16 during FY 02 - and I don't think that '02 was some kind of "annus horibilis'.

Further, the existing contractual arrangement between Amtrak and the "hosts" clearly establishes "no fault" with regard to the allocation of liability. In short, no running to Chessie to "patch 'em up" - even though it appears evident CSX was at fault at both Crescent City and Kensington.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page