RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » "Voyage 24"

Author Topic: "Voyage 24"
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Voyage 24" will be aboard 52 (21)

Guess what, you now get to know your space: K/5240 - well after you paid up!!!

Appears to be Forward Riding in a 3250X if the A-end is where it belongs.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Twice in a couple months, GBN? Perhaps another Brightline opportunity? Let’s hope Amtrak’s daily appearances on the morning news is over by then.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I'm not going to a concert at Kravis this year (the Chicago Symphony will be performing there while I'm down below, but it will be the same program that I heard last Friday at Orchestra Hall). I could possibly put Brightline to use to get from Ehh to Bee.

Here's how: drive to Ft. Lauderdale (from the Holiday Inn at Turnpike Exit 75), park at the "intro-free" garage, take 355P Brightline to WP, walk to Ruth's Chris adjacent to Kravis, early Dinner (on my own; like to be gone from restaurants before they fill up), take Brightline 7P back to FTL (that gives an hour to get .02 BAC out of me from any Grape Juice I had), drive back to hotel. Maybe I'll go Business NB and have a "comp" Grape Juice aperitif, SB Coach so "I won't be tempted.

All I ask is keep the Delray Beach "revelers" away from my trains. Anyone else around here know of that entertainment district at Atlantic Ave? Randy Resor did as his Mother lived in Delray and he once pointed out to me how it parallels the FEC and said to me "there's going to be a moose-goosing here one of these days".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Aboard 52 (21)--

It turned out to be a frazzled drive up here from.Boca owing to some kind of smack up on the 95 near Ft. Pierce. Like a fool, I ducked off to find Route 1; that was dumb dumb. Just wait it out and unless you really know the area.

Adding to the troubles were making a pit stop at a gas station at which the card reader didn't work - and the Attendant "didn't speaka the lingo". He walked out to help, but now it shut off at $40 - and I needed more ($47.26)

Arrived SFA 210P which gave me 20 minutes before the 230P close.

I haven't done any exploring, and rather doubt if I will. I really get sick and tired of, because I know how to walk on a train, get sneered at by a Conductor "you're with Amtrak; you must be one of them spies".

Looks like Bedroom K in the 5240 is forward riding.

That's all for now.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you’ve had your share of technology problems this trip. Hope the rest of A-T trip is enjoyable. Grape juice cures all problems. Let us know how the rest of the trip goes, and say hi to Ashland for me.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang in there, Gil! Hopefully, smoother sailing ahead.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Aboard 52 (21)

Just pulling in to Lorton. Funny how all shades of the area snice I first ventured here in '72 have completely changed.

I never explored, all I noted is the Coach Lounge is the Sightseer. What a waste - "you've seen one pine tree, you've seen 'em all".

Showers? still "batting a thousand".

Oh well, still have most of yesterday's Times to read.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
From Holiday Inn Akron West--

It just keeps coming. At a Sheetz (gas station) the receipt would not print.

But the card is good, for I stopped at Chrysallis Vineyard in Middleburg thanks to AT's early arrival and ran up $203; the card was OK.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
And that wasn't all ----

“Bad Stuff” happened on the drive home. Somewhere near Goshen, IN (MP 105), I hit a bad chuckhole on the Toll Road. I was changing lanes after passing a truck and most of my attention was directed at my Passenger side mirror to make sure I had cleared before changing. Then a very bad “bang”, and then there was noticeable vibration, but no warning lights. I drove on just thinking I’d better get the alignment checked. First stop in Clarendon Hills was the Post Office, then the Dry Cleaners. It was there I noticed that the Driver’s front tire had a terrible bulge suggesting the cords were broken. I thought “good God, I drove this car 150 miles at up to 70mph with THAT?”. I went directly to Lexus – didn’t even go home. The tire had to be replaced (road hazard warranty) and the front end needed alignment ($205). The rim may have to be replaced ($710), but the Writer said “just drive for a while; find somewhere you can lawfully go 70 and see what you think”. So maybe the rim replacement can be avoided. The Lexus Saleslady I use said, “Just drive it. Why do you take all these trips by car for which any other sane person would simply fly (because, Alissa Dear, I love the Little Red Lex you sold me - and the driver's seat is so much more comfortable than 22E)”?

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil, your trip was certainly full of highlights, mostly the kind you'd like to forget. Reminds me of my trip to Saratoga last August which had so many lowlights that I've pretty much sworn off traveling for a while.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman: Sorry about the damage to your Lexus. However, if you don't like road chuckholes you should be glad you don't live in Calif. Calif. has gone from the "golden state" to the "pothole state".

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MargaretSPfan
Member # 3632

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MargaretSPfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman --
Whew! I am so glad you are OK after your poor dear car hit that dratted pothole! Whew! That could easily have ended very badly, and I am very glad it didn't. Dunno about the rim, if it is really safe to drive with a rim with the damage it has -- you should ask someone good you trust who has noting to gain by selling you a new rim.

Driving is no fun at all an more. The Interstate Highway System was designed for big trucks that maxed out at half the weight that modern big rigs weigh-- 20 tons vs. 40 tons. And because the railroads are not interested in smaller shippers, there are a LOT of big rigs on the highways, and they are beating the heck out of those highways. I heard they do 20 times more damage to roads than their fuel taxes pay for.

That pothole did not happen overnight, and someone really dropped the ball by not getting it fixed before ti got so bad it damaged your car -- and probably many other vehicles, too.

SO glad you are fine!

Posts: 211 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
For all the good it will do, I can make a claim against the Toll Road Authority. Of course such will be subject to "deny and delay", and even though I can establish costs incurred and that I was on the Toll Road between "such-and-such" times, I cannot establish that the chuckhole I hit was on their highway. For that I would have had to be disabled.
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Gil, my first job with NY State was in the Legal Dept. of the Jones Beach State Parkway Authority in the early 70's. The rule of thumb back then on pothole claims was to deny them outright unless there was a showing that the Authority had "prior notice" of the roadway condition and did nothing to repair it. You're probably well served to "chalk it up to experience."
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mike, I supposed if I knew more about how to "play the system", I would have stopped right there, called for a cop, and have had it documented "where and when" - and I still would have been confronted with the Authority's "deniers".

It reminds me when during '14 some gal driving an SUV simply "too big for her" backed into my Driver's front fender, causing some $3K damage. For reasons unknown, she used some "who's that" insurance company (the body shop man thought it was for "problem insured"). Mine (State Farm) of course "subbed" against them, and it was time for "deny and delay", with me all the time out my $1K Ded.

Well a year later "they paid".

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Yeah, I handled subrogation claims too - Allstate was the worst.
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Total off subject:

Ahh, Allstate. My family was big on Sears everything inn my growing up years. We have quite a bit of Sears kit furniture, Sears appliances, and Allstate Insurance. That changed for me when I got out of service:

My last year before going in, meaning the year in which I got the letter from Uncle Sam: College Grad with job, 24, good driving record, 6 cylinder car $90.00+/year ,but only a few - yes, that has been long while. The year I got out a little under 3 years later, Viet Vet, now 27 years old, unemployed, 8 cylinder car, they wanted $400.00+/per year for the same coverage, and still with no accidents. As to why? You are unemployed just out of military and your car is defined as high powered (high powered? do what? Just barely and was not at all the intent.) Time to insurance shop.

By the way, at the time it was considered "the thing" for a second lieutenant just out of OCS to buy a corvette. I can't recall anybody in my class that did it. For one thing the cost of car payment plus the insurance which was more than the payment, added up to more than a 2LT salary, so the 2LT himself couldn't. Therefore you had to have a rich enough family to do it.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
George, my 1st new car as a 2nd Lt. fresh out of USAF Comm. Elec. school cost about $2500, and it was a Plymouth Valiant. Got my insurance through USAA, and I've been with them for going on 53 years now.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Ahh USAA, that was for you Commissioned Officers only; Sir! Scrounge for what you can; EM.

Now I understand they will insure anyone who can establish any affinity with the Armed Forces.

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
I've got nothing at all against enlisted men. I met my bride through a blind date set up by an A1C - she worked with his wife at Western Auto in Kansas City.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page