RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Senior And Other Discounts

Author Topic: Senior And Other Discounts
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak is reportedly reducing Senior eligibility and rate. This was age 62 and 15% off Coach, but is now 65 and 10%.

They've always been meaningless if one travels Sleeper and nonexistent for Acela and Auto Train.

But at another site at which I'm familiar, Coach travel is more prevalent amongst its participants than around here.

But it's no different in the friendly, or otherwise, skies. Here is last Thursday's Wall Street Journal column, The Middle Seat:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/an-end-to-airline-red-tapeor-consumer-protection-1518013800

Since I must accept that the Journal has been filling the knotholes in its paywall, here are the "privileges" the airlines wish to modify or eliminate:

Eliminate the existing 24 hour "grace" to cancel without penalty an otherwise non-refundable ticket.

Reduce passenger remedies for "tarmac delays".

Reduce response time to provide wheelchair services to passengers who need such.

Eliminate requirement to honor fares posted in error at their sites.

Eliminate requirement to post a flight's on-time performance and "denied boarding" incidence.

"Sit back, relax, enjoy your flight, and if there is anything we can do to make your flight more enjoyable (bearable?), please let us know".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beside tarmac delays, I think the most egregious practice is bumping low-fare passengers to seat higher-fare passengers.

I assume I received a senior discount when I booked my upcoming Coast Starlight trip, this summer. If so, I can't recall what percentage discount that was granted. I may well be wrong, but I thought that AAA members receive a small discount when they book with Amtrak.

Richard

PS -I think I read where passengers with sleepers do not get a senior discount. Is that true? Only senior discounts in coach?

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tulane1970
Member # 197489

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tulane1970     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Amtrak's Senior Discount was always 10% on the base fare, and the AAA Discount was always 5% (so long as you book three days in advance). On Amtrak, you always paid the same upgrade fee if you want a sleeper.

As for the airline changes, that belongs in another forum :-)

--------------------
Jeff

Posts: 1 | From: Dallas | Registered: Feb 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Tulane, first welcome to the Forum.

While of course we gather here first and foremost to discuss Amtrak affairs, sometimes it is necessary to draw comparisons with other modes. In this case, the airline reference was to show that in "the Recession is over" era, the airlines are doing away with concessions they granted to travelers.

Hotels are also tightening up. Where during the Recession, major brands would allow penalty free CX until 6P day of arrival. Now it's 24 and even 48 hrs. Further, some simply business hotels now require a deposit with any rate.

But lest we forget what Gordon Gekko holds; "Greed is Good".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
railrev
Member # 2640

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for railrev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A sleeper fare had two components, the rail fare and the accommodation fee. The rail fare was discounted for AAA and Seniors, but not the accommodation fee.

--------------------
Railrev
Escondido, CA

Posts: 99 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Discounts will be reduced or dropped for veterans, AAA members, students, disabled passengers, & the senior discount age will be raised to age 65.

https://is.gd/YXB3JQ

How about a compromise? Have a 5% discount for all the above groups which would include sleeper fares & accommodation fees. Ten percent discounts for disabled veterans.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page