RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » end of long distance trains?

Author Topic: end of long distance trains?
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are long distance trains probably ending after this year with the excuse that it's because of lack of the new safety features?
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Positive Train Control is supposed to be active by the end of 2018. It would be an interesting development if passenger service were to be suspended on lines that fail to meet the deadline, however.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to some articles appearing on my esteemed Yahoo home page, Amtrak is considering suspending their trains, running on non-PTC track, after Dec. 31 of this year.

I don't think the Congressional Critters will let that happen. Rep. Defazio, of Oregon, has a bill that would allocate 2.5 billion for Positive Train Control. Some think that PTC, for all Amtrak routes, might cost more like 10 billion. Also, even with adequate funding, how long will it take to get PTC up and running over the entire Amtrak system?

Most think the PTC deadline will be extended to 2020.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to NARP, they will suspend if not completed. Extending the deadline does not mean they will not suspend in the interim. And once they are gone, given the disgusting moronic budget for Amtrak, they would be gone. Unless Congress changes hands in November.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
Unless Congress changes hands in November.

Don't bet on this making a positive difference.
Turn off the sound and watch the action. Remember the major cuts in Amtrak service was under Carter, a democrat.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak's Mr. Richard Anderson recently stated that some Amtrak trains could be suspended if they don't apply for extension of PTC implementation until the end of 2020. I agree with Sojourner that the extension deadline does not necessarily mean that some trains could not be suspended before the deadline. However, I hope that doesn't happen.

From RPA (old NARP):

https://is.gd/jB7hrA

Quote from the article and from President Mathews of the RPA:

“We're in a place in this country where Amtrak may not feel comfortable operating on the nation's rail network. That should never have been allowed to happen. Shutting down parts of the passenger rail system over PTC implementation will in no way represent a safer transportation system for Americans. It will strip citizens of a transportation choice growing ridership warrants, and force them onto far more dangerous roads. Millions more who cannot drive will be left with no options at all."

I think he makes a point. The Empire Builder pretty much follows US Highway 2 from the Seattle area to North Dakota and further east. Anyone who has driven along highway 2, in the winter, knows how hazardous that highway can be.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, as a "veteran" of driving both US2 and US12 during January, I heartily concur with your immediate thought.

After all, somebody paid dearly for all those "Crosses" seen along Montana highways

Regarding the LD's, they exist only by political fiat, for they have no "raison de etre". While remote area transportation needs have arguments along the routes of several LD's, that last ditch transportation could easily be provided by subsidies to bus, and even jitney, operators - and at costs far less than the $350M that I guess is the real "cash out of the cookie jar" the LD's cost.

But I favor a National presence for Amtrak, for when, and I mean when as I believe there will be more, local jurisdictions desire to inaugurate passenger trains funded at their levels. The institutional expertise for such is now only held by Amtrak - 47 years after the fact the Class I industry cannot be expected to have such.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page