RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Another "Five Year Plan" Coloring Book

Author Topic: Another "Five Year Plan" Coloring Book
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vell Komerades, time for another Five Year Plan

Now they come as a 158 page, 15 meg, "coloring book".

Must I ask if the two OBS employees appearing on Page 4 have properly complied with Antioch College's SOPP?

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MargaretSPfan
Member # 3632

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MargaretSPfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN -- Was that a serious question? I hope not!
Posts: 211 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Margaret, after this "Ultra-Libby" college made such a big thing of it, and in this quite justified "Me Too", environment, as well as Amtrak being a Federal Agency, you just might have to wonder.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got around to taking a closer look at the 5 year plan. About the only positive were the comments on working with the Gulf Coast Working group to provide service east of New Orleans. If this occurs I'm sure it will be a state supported train from NOL to Mobile, not a resurrection of the Sunset.

It also showed the 2018 projections on an allocated cost basis for the LD network. If I were CEO I would very quickly figure out a way to improve the financial performance of the biggest losers. One of the measurements was profit/loss per passenger. Not surprisingly the tri- weekly trains were at the top of the list: Sunset -$401 per passenger and the Cardinal -$151 per passenger (and that's for a one night out train). The two night SWC was number two at -$231 per passenger and the CS was surprisingly high at -$140. So my question is, erudite forum members - what do you do to improve that sad record of those 4 trains? Discontinuing the train is not an option.

To end on a positive note, the Palmetto generated a whopping $4.40 per passenger in profit (or contribution if you prefer that term). Next best was the A-T with a modest loss of $9.80 per passenger. I think it's safe to say those trains will be around for a while.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am no erudite forum member, Mr. Palmland, but I have to think the Cardinal's financial picture could improve if the Cardinal were to become a daily train. A look at meal service, the number of sleepers and the possible addition of various added amenities might help.

I keep thinking that one of the things contributing to the downfall of the North Coast Hiawatha was its triweekly schedule.

I see, from the latest "Passenger Train Journal" that ridership on the Palmetto, Crescent, and Silver Meteor were up and among the leaders for 2017. Also, northeast Amtrak trains like the Vermonter and Downeaster. The ridership on the Pacific Surfliners seems to be bursting at the seams.

One thing that grabbed me, from the 5 year plan coloring book, was the big, bold crayola print what states that, since 2006, ridership on long distance trains has increased 25% without new services, equipment, or frequencies.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Richard, I suppose in a world dreamed of by passenger train advocates that a Class I road was mandated to allot so much of their track capacity to passenger trains, as well as "give 'em the railroad", a Daily Cardinal, North Coast, and Sunset, would not be the biggest losers out there. But last time I checked, the LD trains all operate over investor owned property, over which passenger trains represent an incursion that interfere with freight operations.

I continue to hold that now almost fifty years ago, when Mr. Palmland and myself started our respective railroad careers, the industry was in such precarious financial condition (and for that matter, so was society) that "the Faustian pact with the Devil" was seen to "buy some time" for roads such as mine. Just think, had the industry been in a position (yes, there were "strong" roads that could have "weathered the storm" but, right or wrong, the industry chose to be united and signed up), to (politely) decline the offer sign up, there would not have been an LD left likely after 1980.

But LD's defied logic becoming inexpensive "pork", and hence are here to stay. However, expansion of the existing System is quite unlikely.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, I think you picked the train in the most need of an overhaul. It serves the endpoints poorly (23 hours vs 16 on the Capitol), has inconvenient times at the largest enroute city between DC and Indy, unfortunate dining and lounge capabilities, and is, of course, tri-weekly.

To be a useful service it needs to be daily. With the current budget environment it would need to be justified from a cost standpoint. I susggest one way to do this would be making two separate daily daylight trains.

The eastern one would be combined with the Palmetto between NY and Washington to provide earlier arrival westbound and later departure eastbound to its new destination, Cincinnati. Those times would permit decent Thruway bus connections at Huntington or Ashland (about 8:30pm WB, 9:30am EB) to/from Louisiville and Columbus (each about 2.5 hrs by road) and at Cinci (midnight and 6am) to/from Dayton and maybe on to Indiaanpolis.

There would continue to be a daily train between Chicago and Indianapolis. The route between Cinci and Indy would be killed. The current schedule averages 35 mph and is not competitive with anything except walking - and its in the middle of the night. A Thruway bus bridge could be provided.

Justification for going daily would be saving 350 route miles (NY-DC, Cinci-Indy) and the efficiencies of operating a daily train. CSX might agree to the change as it would get a passenger train off a portion of their railroad and the C&O side now has plenty of capacity. Amtrak might also get VA to help since it would now provide daily morning service Washingto to Charlottesville. One problem might be finding servicing facilities in Cinci since CUT is hemmed in by the river and CSX and NS yards.

With the Palmetto's full BC car NY-Wash, a split cafe/BC would probably suffice. Add a couple coaches and a baggage tacked on the front of the Palmeeto to/from Washington and you have a train that could serve a real purpose.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Speaking of "coloring books", Annual Reports seem to be making a comeback - or at least securities in my portfolio. It appeared they would have been extinct by now with the information circulated to shareholders having interest on-line.

I have received three this year from companies that did not issue them last year. Several are simply the 10K with a few glossy pages showing Directors, Officers, and of course, rank and file employees (or so represented as such).

However, the one railroad security I continue to hold - Union Pacific (UNP) - does not seem to be one with a coloring book any more.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page