RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Host Railroad Report Card

Author Topic: Host Railroad Report Card
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak has rated the host railroads for their influence on Amtrak on time performance:

https://is.gd/9lT8gN

The report card:

https://is.gd/SvvWmu

Quite a difference between Canadian Pacific and Canadian National.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could make jokes about EssPee, the Sunset and the Starlight, but I won't...
Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shocking, isn't it?

I guess we have to factor in that CP hosts only a tiny fraction of the miles the others do.

Am very much hoping that the rumors of CP willing to host the Canadian between Toronto and Winnipeg are true. That line is said to be very underutilized due to so much CP traffic being funneled via Chicago.

Any jokes re. EssPee, the Sunset & Starlight are most welcome!

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't heard the rumor, Don, regarding CP hosting the Canadian between Toronto and Winnipeg. Does that mean the VIA train could return to the former Winnipeg-Calgary-Vancouver (CP) route?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No rumors of that.

Two problems pop up in my mind.

1) The Government of Canada strangely gave the Rocky Mountaineer a monopoly on service to Banff and Lake Louise, the stations that serve three national parks in that area,
2) The routing of most of CP's freight now goes Vancouver to Moose Jaw, well on the way to Winnipeg, then takes the now the old Soo Line, now part of CP, to Chicago. and
3) CP's freight business has been growing and now is turbocharged by CN's problems.

On the other hand, I once calculated that there's not much population difference between the CN and CP routes in western Canada.

I do hope that CP becomes host of Via in western Canada. Prior to Via I took the Canadian through Banff and it remains the most scenic route I've encountered in North America. The CP line along Lake Superior is also very scenic.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in the barn.

CP agreeing to host The Canadien? Wow who dreamed up that one.

VIA operations over the CP are, to my knowledge, confined to a remote area Sudbury, ON - White River, ON route.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
I know that it would be prohibitive, economically speaking, but I wish the VIA train could figure out a way to run both Vanc-Jasp-Winnipeg (CN) northern route as well as Vanc-Banff-Calg-Winnipeg (CP) southerrn route. Currently, the northern route is just 3x/week; maybe the southern route could run on alternate days. The southern leg of the Rocky Mountaineer now terminates in Banff. It would be nice if one could pick up a VIA train from Banff to Winnipeg and vice versa.

There was a desire, a few years ago, by some Canadian politicians to allow the Canadian to be privatized, but I've not seen anything, since then, to suggest this possibility.

Richard

PS- Is the "Prestige Class", on the Canadian, still in operation? I wonder if it has been popular especially considering the cost.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page