RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak and "The Americans" Finale

Author Topic: Amtrak and "The Americans" Finale
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As fans of "The Americans" know, the series concluded this week with a special guest appearance in the final episode by Amtrak. The conclusion is set during Gorbachev's visit to the USA in late 1987 for the summit with Reagan. [spoiler alert] Elizabeth, Philip and Paige attempt their escape to Canada via an almost empty Amtrak train--most likely The Adirondack--and a crucial scene is filmed at the Rouses Point station stop. The exterior of the train is painted in the red, white and blue markings I associate with 1980s Amtrak, but I can't identify the exact make of the rolling stock. The interior train scenes appear to be shot in a commuter trainset, perhaps New Jersey Transit. The engine is an all silver P42 which wouldn't have been around in 1987, but that's a very minor glitch.

I've enjoyed watching "The Americans" over the last 6 years. A friend of mine had a bit part in one of the first episodes; I tuned in to watch his performance and I've been hooked ever since. As final episodes go, this one was pretty satisfying. Plenty of questions were answered and many more were asked.

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Evidently, I'm not the only one around here who viewed the final episode of "The Americans".

A train figures significantly in this Series Finale; how does it? Watch the episode. Only hint I giveth: this finale may even have that of "The Sopranos" topped.

While the series has been well received by critics, the authenticity of its train scene is somewhere in outer space.

Amazing how Metro-North Hudson Line suddenly has M-7 cars liveried as Amtrak (surely post production), that Rouses Point has a high level platform and third rail electrification. The car interiors may or may not have been the real deal rather than a stage set - defer to sharper eyes on that one.

All told, the producers' "location scouts" could have done better.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Rouses Point Station scene was shot on a Sunday at the Tuckahoe Station on the Metro-North RR. They did use a real train for the interiors and exteriors. It was obvious to my eye that the train was commuter equipment, but I think most casual observers could believe that the train was a genuine 1987 version of The Adirondack. At least the sparse number of passengers riding on the train probably reflects reality.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think by now anyone who followed the Series has seen the finale episode, but just in case:

S P O I L E R - A L E R T

This finale left many more unanswered questions ( then did that of "The Sopranos". In that series, only one question: did Tony get whacked? The Mob doesn't touch family, so Carmella, Meadow, and Anthony can live out their lives.

I foresee a Sequel.

Look at all the unanswered questions; will Stan be subject to anything from internal discipline to criminal charges for "letting them go"? Sure, he "cracked the case", but where did he become "jury" and acquit them because he thought abandoning the "Jennings'" son (and subsequently Daughter abandoning them) was enough punishment?

"By the Book" would have said call for backup, and ten Agents would have swarmed the scene with a "don't shoot, G-Men" moment.

Now if this guy can get so emotionally involved in a case, what kind of Law Enforcement Officer is he? What if his girlfriend Rene' is a Russian spy; would he apprehend her? Doubts-a-plenty on that.

I previously commented as to the train escape scene. Thanks, Mr. Vincent, for learning and sharing it was shot at Tuckahoe on the MNR Harlem Line.

Here's more on the train scene:
  • Was it technically difficult, filming that on the train?

RUSSELL The actual shooting that day was tricky. Obviously we were working with a real train, and it takes a million people to start the train, to get the train moving, then to get all those people in the shot. We were shooting on a Sunday. We had so many extras. We had to have extra crew because of that. So there were a lot of factors that were a little distracting, and made it not so easy. You kind of had to just show up and do your best in a couple of takes.

RHYS I felt enormous pressure. The train was moving away, and we only had one shot of it linking us and Paige. So I do tend to get a little pressured in those moments about getting it right. It’s kind of the worst thing, because then you overthink something. When you know you can have a second take and you can keep rolling, you’re far more relaxed and you can try it a couple of different ways. When they go, “Sorry, we’re only going to get one shot,” you go, “But it’s such an enormous moment!”
Other Sequel sub-plots could be the Jennings kids. Will now adult, and fugitive, Paige become a Sleeper Agent for Mother Russia, will she run off to South America and "tempt" Pastor Tim? Will Henry get to lead a normal life without the FBI chasing him down?

And finally, bring back Matt and Keri (they are a real life "thing", BTW) for a "Special Guest Appearance" to learn if they are off in the Gulag for their "betrayals".

Could be interesting.

End of spoilers.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil, I agree with all your questions and comments. And I wonder about poor Martha in Russia. How is she doing? And Stan letting them go when we know how many people they murdered. Not cool.

The details of the train scene don’t bother me but I thought it was an excellent dramatic effect. And I too wonder if the “center” will follow Paige and ultimately recruit her.

Great series.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page