RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Schedule Change for the VIA Canadian

Author Topic: Schedule Change for the VIA Canadian
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starting July 26, the timetable for the VIA Canadian train will change:

https://is.gd/OKSEYR

It looks like the total time, on the train, will lengthen for VAN-TOR or TOR-VAN. I kind of like the new arrival and departure times for various towns and cities, along the way.

Richard

Posts: 1596 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! Had not heard.

Got a security warning about that link.

Use:
Westbound:
https://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/schedules/summer2018/40-41_Toronto-Winnipeg-Jasper-Vancouver.pdf

Eastbound:
https://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/schedules/summer2018/42-43_Vancouver-Japser-Winnipeg-Toronto.pdf

Does give chance to enjoy some different scenery.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 360 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghCBNS
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghCBNS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Fraser and Thompson River Canyons in Daylight!

A fine trade off and IMHO equal to some of the mountain scenery that might be missed now by nighttime running in those areas.

Already have a Vancouver – Edmonton trip booked!

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope they put enough "slop" into that schedule. Just as glad I rode "The Panorama" during '65 when the Winnipeg-Vancouver Roomette fare was CD$65. Funny how it left Winnipeg about 10AM and arrived Vancouver also about 6PM. Only diff; there wasn't 24 hours of additional schedule time.
Posts: 8798 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While it would be nice to see Frazier canyon in daylight, I think I’d rather have a schedule that insures passage through the heart of the Rockies in full light. Depending on timekeeping, it could be difficult to see all of the Rockies, especially in winter when the train is more affordable, allows full access to the Park car (for non Prestige class) and has a more manageable consist size.
Posts: 2262 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghCBNS
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghCBNS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
While it would be nice to see Frazier canyon in daylight......

What is this 'Frazier' thing? Is this an American spelling? Not the first time I’ve seen it like that here and in posts elsewhere. The River and Canyon were named for Simon 'Fraser'…the explorer who was actually born in what became the United States.

Schedules can’t please everyone. Back in the heyday of CN’s passenger revival….the flagship Super Continental departed Jasper westbound at 6:50pm but you would still need another 2 hours for the best mountain viewing. Eastbound it arrived in Jasper at 9:15am after passing through the best scenery. Back then….you could ride the secondary ‘Panorama’ that did offer better timing in the mountains if viewing was your thing….just as you still can today on the Rocky Mountaineer.

Think I'll stick with the opportunity for daylight Canyon viewing now......a good trade-off but you will still have some fine Mountain viewing even on the new schedule!

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I can blame it on spell check, ghCBN, but I should know better. My nephew taught at SFU.
Posts: 2262 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Urge everyone to travel eastbound.

Even if moderately late you won't miss Jasper National Park in daylight.

Even if slightly late the westbound will miss seeing eastern portion of Jasper National Park in winter & even if on time will miss the beautiful western poriton entirely in winter because of the long time the train dwells at its stop in Jasper .

Note that along the western portion of the Canada/U.S. border the hours of sunshine are 8 hours shorter in winter & even more as you go north.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 360 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page