RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » My long cross-country vacation

Author Topic: My long cross-country vacation
Tessie
Member # 1419

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tessie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as I don't know how to do this any other way, I hope you will forgive me for posting my trip report here.

Trip Report

October 14, 2002: left Jacksonville, FL on the Silver Star to Washington, DC. The train was late getting into Jacksonville, and we boarded in pouring rain. Connected with the Capital Limited the next day to Chicago, then from Chicago on the California Zephyr to Sacramento. Need I mention I had a standard sleeper from JAX to DC, then a deluxe the rest of the way: I’m grey-haired and have severe arthritis – need my comfort.

Had a good trip on every train: excellent service from the attendants. On the Silver Star the attendant was David, and he took good care of me. He was personable, friendly, and kept track of everything. He kept the hospitality supplies full. I slept well although I was up every couple of hours from a strange bed. My dinner server was Andrew – very nice person. The roast pork was fork tender: 2 thick slices of it. I couldn’t eat more than ½ of one piece. No dessert as the dinner filled me up. When I got up David told me that they were running 3-4 hours late: had to stop for a hot box and also for a piece of equipment that had broken and they had to replace it. Went to breakfast (sausage, eggs, etc) very good and everything was fresh and tasty. Servers were Ray and Warren. We had a crew change outside of Southern Pines.

Into Richmond running 4 ½ hours late. Still worried about getting into DC on time. Had lunch (chicken pot pie). It was so-so, rather dry, but the fruit salad was fresh and tasty. And now I know what you mean about the cheesecake. Exceptionally good.

Well, I found out about the late arrival. Would you believe they held the #29 for us. There were about a dozen people changing, but I expected a bus. We arrived in DC at 4:30 and there was a scramble to get us all changed and aboard. A Red Cap was there to race our luggage over to it. On the Capital Limited Tommy took care of me. Very enthusiastic, pleasant to talk with and very helpful. Dinner in the Diner (haven’t I heard that phrase before) was different. Food was good, I had the baked chicken, but the service was lousy. I was at the 7 pm call and didn’t get my food until 8:15. Just got ignored.

On the California Zephyr I met up with my sister and her daughter and we had three deluxe sleepers together (two were made up as a family room per our attendants suggestion and help. Attendant was David and I couldn’t have asked for better service. I was taking a medication that makes be very thirsty, and he had fresh water and ice for me about every half hour. Wonderful attention to detail. He never let down, he was that way all the way to Sacramento.

Scenery was spectacular as I expected. Had very good food in the Diner: the menu is limited but the food is well prepared and comes to the table hot and promptly. On the CZ the service was erratic: Never got a server name as none of them were wearing name tags. They always seemed to be very busy as sometimes service was slow. Good was standard and you could get tired eating the same thing every day. Even with all of the freight delays and stops and starts we still arrived in Sacramento right on time. I was very disappointed in the Sacramento station. We got of the train and went down a ramp and had no directions, signs, or people to tell us where to go. We just felt dumped off. After wandering around for about ½ hour we finally found the up ramp and the station itself.

Wednesday, October 30

Boarded the Coast Starlight that was supposed to leave at 6:30, am but at 7:30 it was still sitting there. Had breakfast (good with average standard service) and sat and waited. We finally left but I knew it was going to be a slow strip. At 10:45 am we pulled out of Oakland: supposed to leave at 9:15 so about 1 ½ late.

But the parlor car on the Starlight was very nice with comfortable seats that swiveled so you could see both sides of the train. The windows were so filthy it was impossible to take pictures and in some instances to even seen the view outside. . Wine tasting was so-so: not many people attended. Finally went back to by sleeper: at least the windows were clean there and I could see out. Beautiful scenery, but the day dragged on. Lunch was sparse: one of the refrigerators coolers had gone down and they didn’t have any sandwich meat. Lunch was limited to potpie or hamburger (pre-cooked). I was lucky – had just received my sandwich when the cooler went down. We were told everything would be ok for dinner.

At 5:20 were in San Luis Obispo: should have been here at 3:10. Was just informed of a medical emergency: paramedics arriving to take care of ill passenger. They finally had to remove the passenger and take him to the hospital. More delays. At 6 pm we left there and were informed that the passengers connecting with the Sunset Limited would detrain at Santa Barbara for a bus trip to Ontario. Service was good, smooth and careful driver (I slept most of the way). The only problem was I was looking forward to the coastal view and of course missed all of it

Again, excellent service from the attendants and waiters. My sleeper was made up and ready for me and I was definitely ready for it. The sleeping car attendant on the Limited was Tom: there when I needed him but not obtrusive. Coffee was always on (of course no snacks, they seem to be a thing of the past on every train). Tom kept us informed of what was going on. We lost some time because of two US Marshals that came aboard and collected a passenger with a suitcase full of drugs. Then we had the standard freight traffic that slowed us down. But time was made up at different places. By this time I was getting tired of traveling and tired of the same food (although it was always good). We were 2 hours late arriving into Jacksonville and as that was my last one I didn’t care. I was glad to get home.

Overall my impression of the complete trip was very good. The service was always good and sometimes excellent (Pete on the CZ), the compartments and cars were clean; food was good and sometimes excellent. I don’t think I have ever had a better filet mignon than on the SL and the signature dessert was always outstanding. There were problems: the windows were never clean and sometimes downright filthy, on the SL my compartment’s ceiling tiles were held on with duct tape (but it was clean duct tape), and the food was monotonous.

We have a marvelously varied country and this is the way to see it. I met wonderful people who mostly were traveling for a purpose (no rich leisure travel here), had very good conversations with everyone I met, and in review would definitely do it again.

Posts: 18 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tessie,

Great review.

Having grown up on the EssPee Coast Line, you actually got the best portion of the shore line run between Surf and Santa Barbara, including my favorite, Gaviota Trestle to El Capitan Trestle.

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tessie
Member # 1419

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tessie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only trouble was it was dark. Couldn't see anything
Posts: 18 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for sharing, Tessie. I enjoyed reading of your adventures. As you observed, Amtrak service is generally good, but uneven. I think they do better than one might expect given their severely limited resources. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. Be sure to tell your elected representatives that you found the train service to be of value. Every letter to Congress helps.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed your trip report. My wife & I also had Pete on the CZ. He provided excellent service. Thank you for posting your experience.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But the parlor car on the Starlight was very nice with comfortable seats that swiveled so you could see both sides of the train. The windows were so filthy it was impossible to take pictures and in some instances to even seen the view outside.

I was similarly little annoyed by the dirty windows on the Pacific Parlour car when I took the Coast Starlight in May. I assume the problem is that the Parlours are never on the Southwest Chief and thus never go through Albuquerque, which seems to be the only place on Amtrak where car windows get washed en route.

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed the dirty windows on the parlor car when I rode LA to Portland over a year ago, yet, the rest of the train had clean windows. Doesn't LA have a car washer, I would think it does, if so, is it mechanical? Could be that the mechanical washer can't get to the parlor car windows since they are smaller and lower than Superliner windows?

rick

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip, Tessie, apart from the unexpected bus ride from Santa Barbara. Considering how much time you spent riding the rails, your trip was comparatively "trouble free."

The Dirty Window Syndrome is a small but persistent problem. I usually carry a tiny bottle of Windex.

The problem is, the Windex is only useful A) when you're in a single level car, and you stop at a high-level platform on "your" side of the train, or B) you're on the lower level of a Superliner.

There's nothing you can do about grimy windows when you can't reach them.

I've also found that the plastic used for Viewliner windows is often completely covered with billions of tiny exterior scratches. At night, it creates a blinding "halo effect" around the lights of passing towns, railyards, and stations.

Along with the too-thin curtains, I find it a real drag, as I really enjoy looking out of train windows at night.

As far as cleaning the windows is concerned, they still wash the Southwest Chief in Albuquerque. When I took it a few months ago, though, the crew only scrubbed the platform side of the train. When I returned to my room on the non-platform side, my window was as dirty as ever.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing major....but I do know that the CZ's windows get washed in Denver.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TA,

True, but they generally can stand a re-washing by Grand Junction!

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Tessie for your story about your trip. I'll put up with poor service but you hit on my biggest complaint - unclean windows. To me, the best part of any trip is the view outside.
Posts: 149 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Ruben
Member # 656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Ruben     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tessie:

I just read and glanced through your Amtrak trip report.

You should send your trip comments to David Gunn at Amtrak's headquarters in Washington, D.C. (I am not kidding).

I am sure he will be interested in your recent Amtrak trip input.

---"Ken" Ruben---

Posts: 16 | From: Culver City, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tessie
Member # 1419

Rate Member
I would love to send this trip report on to the proper places. Can anyone provide me with an e-mail address.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page