RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » fort lauderdale

Author Topic: fort lauderdale
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am thinking of taking Amtrak Silver Service to Fort Lauderdale and then a cruise. I was wondering if people here had any helpful info about this. I think, given the nature of Amtrak and the fact that it will be winter, that maybe we'd better book to arrive not the night before the cruise but two nights before. What do you think? Also, if we do, what would we do in our free day in Fort Lauderdale, assuming we have one? Would a free hotel shuttle take us anyplace but the cruiseport? What is nice to do in downtown Fort Lauderdale? Would we need to take a taxi from the train to our hotel? etc. Finally, because the preferred Silver Meteor leaves so early in the AM, I think we might need to take Silver Star back north (unless we stay over yet another night). What is the Silver Star like nowadays, without food service???
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How say a Brightline joyride to either West Palm or Miami? Sounds as if your husband is willing to go on this one with you.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know if he is, don't know if I'm even going--just planning for now. . . What is Brightline? More importantly, WHERE is it--is it on the Tri-Rail tracks? I am not interested in West Palm for sure, Miami only if it's cheap for getting to South Beach (which I doubt!). There seems to be a cheap trolley within Fort Lauderdale.

I am interested in things to do in Fort Lauderdale, and getting around. Also in input on the Silver Star. Thanks!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is our previous discussion regarding Brightline:

http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/7971.html

To summarize, Brightline is the trade name , first known as its corporate name of All Aboard Florida, that presently operates passenger trains between Miami and West Palm Beach. Their only stop is Ft. Lauderdale. They operate over the Florida East Coast Railway, which had been a freight line since 1969.

I have had two round trips on such this past January and February. I believe you will find they have a customer service standard of which Amtrak could only dream.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Ms. Sojourner to follow up further on a possible Brightline joyride, which to me is a taste of the travel experience found in Europe, the FEC over which it operates was the first railroad in Southeastern Florida. The Seaboard (Amtrak, Tri-Rail) was a "Johnny come lately". As a result, the communities were centered around the FEC, and hence, the Brightline station in Fort Lauderdale is far more centrally located than is Tri-Rail.

Now regarding a same day departure home on 92, Star, I should defer to those here with more Love Tub experience than I (last time for me was '88. Next time, "next life"), but based upon mine, forget it.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner, the Silver Star is not Amtrak’s finest but outside of the diner it’s not much different than any other. Ironically since it does not have a diner, the cafe car offers hot food that can be hard to find on the LSL or Capitol. While you have to pay for it, the trade off is the less expensive sleeper price. If it fits your schedule, go for it. The train will have 4 coaches, the cafe car, two sleepers and a baggage car on the rear.

Fort Lauderdale is a far cry from my days there many years ago. I don’t know that there is any reason to explore it as you will have seen plenty of ocean on your cruise and outside of higher end restaurants I’m not aware of any must see places.

I’d suggest just find a hotel near the port and get in and get out and save your money for more interesting places. Uber will be the only transportation you’ll need unless your hotel offers shuttle service to the port.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page