RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Likely My Last Trip

Author Topic: Likely My Last Trip
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aboard RJ 869 Innsbruck to Salzburg--

I've made three day trips this year along with three concerts. I'm sure that the day trips to Graz, Linz, and Innsbruck, are simple recognition that I'm not coming this way again in this life.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MargaretSPfan
Member # 3632

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MargaretSPfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman --
I do understand why you said this is likely your last trip overseas. At our age, traveling is just too tiring to do more than a few times -- or at all.

Traveling is very tiring, even if it were the way it was back in the 1980s-- plenty of room on planes, and little need to rush around.

I am glad you are getting to enjoy some fine concerts in Austria. Ahhhh... Mozart, et al.....

Please do let us know how your return trip went.

Posts: 211 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Imlauer Pitter Hotel; Salzburg--

Well Margaret, I will leave the hotel in another ten minutes. Train to Munich Airport leaves 8am CET, flight home leaves 1140A. No bags to check and traveling Business Class

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Back in the barn.

CBP at ORD has become an absolute zoo. As of last year, there was a one-stop "Lexus Lane" - US Citizen, nothing to declare, no checked baggage.

Well, that's me, and it was as smooth as is EDDM/MUC.

Well, that was last year, welcome to this. It has become an absolute zoo, with everybody, regardless of status, in a "moshing pit".

It took me an hour to get through it. They now have Passport scanning machines, but that did nothing to speed things up.

"Welcome to America".

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't comment on recent, since I have no recent and not likely to have another, but in 17 years of shuttling back and forth to Asia, consistently the US entrance was the least rational, and usually longest. I knew of a person who managed to get in a Malaysian Parang, yet I was required (in 2007) to pitch a ziplock of dog food on entry on our last trip from being a resident in when we brought back our dog.

Another comment, we got special treatment on entry for all the trips while residents since we had foreign originating tickets. I asked after a few of these and was so informed. I had thought it was because it was just because we both have metal in our bodies. Oh yeah, the classic on that was, with my wife having artificial knees, that when she hiked her skirt engough to show the scars, being informed by the woman doing the extra check that she did not know how to do her check on someone wearing a dress.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Anyone want to place bets that elimination of the Express Lane is a nice way to sell memberships in any of these?

https://www.dhs.gov/trusted-traveler-programs

I had Pre-Check (gratis) during '14, but during '15, "That's all folks". I had always wondered if it was lost because for one flight on JetBlue instead of my usual United. Nowadays, I doubt that.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have TSA Precheck for domestic travel but did not see the need for our very few foreign excursions to spend more in order to get the Global Entry ID. But I gotta say, entry back into the U.S. last year (PHL) was a lot easier than departure from France. There we endured an endless line and intense one on one with a customs official before even making it to the security screening area. No doubt it was our threatening appearance. One of his questions was, what are your hobbies. I blurted out 'model railroading'. That left both of us speechless for a second or two but it did elicit a smile and quick dismissal.

GBN - sorry to hear you may curtail your Austrian junkets. To ease the stress and weariness of travel, perhaps consider staying for a longer time in a hotel or rented room or house so you feel like you have a home base. Then you can just eat, drink, and socialize rather than feel compelled to be on the go. We're considering such a scenario next year in Italy.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
But I gotta say, entry back into the U.S. last year (PHL) was a lot easier than departure from France. There we endured an endless line and intense one on one with a customs official before even making it to the security screening area. No doubt it was our threatening appearance. One of his questions was, what are your hobbies. I blurted out 'model railroading'. That left both of us speechless for a second or two but it did elicit a smile and quick dismissal.

Can't compare my experiences with anything having any European point on one end. Maybe someday. Would like to someday visit the origins of my ancestors, but not really a priority any more particularly knowing that most endured considerable hardship to leave.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
After my "letting loose" on entry through ORD, I can't say enough nice about Munich Franz Josef (MUC/EDDM). Now this is from the perspective of a Business Class passenger (just like with Amtrak and Sleeper; no dough? no go) without checked baggage, but there were some two parties ahead of me at Passport Control (would have been one if I didn't stop to fish out my Passport from my bag). Only admonishment; please take your hat off. "Have a nice time in Salzburg" - and it was off to the €15 shower (LH is not THAT nice to arriving United Business Class passengers). I could have been gone in 15 minutes after "ding ding, Flight Attendants prepare for arrival, cross check, and roll call".

Return equally seamless; arrived on EC390 S-Bahn connection 1015A, First stop LH for UA counter (five questions - packed the bag myself, never out of my sight on the train....), Security with priority lines for F and B, than "egalitarian" Passport Control. All told at the Gate 1045A (suffice to say United doesn't get the best gates there - well neither does American or Delta) flight "pushed" 1140A.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Continuing with thoughts from my final journey, regretably I must report that railroad Food & Beverage is also on the downgrade in Austria. The downgrade apparently occurred with the change of outside contractors this past April. Here is the new concern's website; enough of it is in English to make out heads or tails:

http://don.at/references/don-denrailjets-der-oebb

If of interest, their current menu is available from that site on a PDF file.

Traveling Vienna to Salzburg (my trips over there were all day trips from Salzburg; I'm too old to do the pack up and move on every day as I did during more youthful days) on RailJet, I ordered the Boiled Beef for Dinner. Promise I could have done nicely without. The previous concern, Do & Co Henry, an outfit holding catering contracts worldwide, I thought served an excellent Veal Medalion plate. But I guess the OBB is taking lessons from Amtrak.

Here is that concern's site:

https://www.enjoyhenry.com/en/henry

Suffice to say, no mention of the contract with OBB they previously held.

Now even having been to Austria five times in as many years (much more for music than railfanning), I was unaware that Boiled Beef was some kind of national specialty. Here is the website for one of the top restaurants in Vienna, and look what appears on their menu:

https://www.sacher.com/en/hotel-wien/culinary-en-2/restaurant-rote-bar/

While the OBB varietal tasted like totally bland Pot Roast, somehow I have to wonder if such from that restaurant maybe had more flavor.

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gilbert--

I'm sorry to hear that you won't be doing your European trips in the future. I've always enjoyed your reports here and in our private correspondence.

We continue to travel as long as the desire and ability is there. We just returned from two wonderful cruises (Alaska and a Pacific Coastal) and have 10 others booked through Spring 2020.

We had planned to take the Surfliner from SAN to SBA last Sunday but the cruise line was a bit iffy about when we would be allowed off. We were first told no passengers could leave the vessel until 8:45AM. We had reservations on the 8:55AM Train/Bus. All other trains were sold out. Luckily, the tickets were fully refundable.

We, instead, booked employee/retiree tickets on United. With a four hour layover at LAX and a 1:30 mechanical delay, also at LAX, it took longer to fly than the train ever would have.

As for immigration processing, at YVR on arrival into Canada everything went very smoothly. EVERYONE uses a machine and then presents themselves to an officer. Mine took me to task for not greeting him in French. "Just a little joke, eh?".

We were processed for entry back into the US at the pier in Vancouver. They had two Global Entry lanes open so it was very fast.

Frank in sunny and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Frank, I was very much "on the fence" if I were to go this year. When I last saw Maureen during February (I think I sent you a photo of her holding the "Soup's on United" cup I had), she said "keep checking" and so I did. A $3200 fare came up and I nailed it. The hotel was open but more costly than '17 simply because they left IHG which meant no more points (hotel points I use; don't have to stay on a Blue Moon).

But I was on the fence, and I was bent on measuring my "cut losses" ($450 exchange fee and $250 trip insurance) and how I would burn up the $3200 on United over the next 12 months.

But I went and it could easily been the best trip of 'em all. Three concerts and day trips to Graz, Linz, and Innsbruck.

The biggest disappointment was how the new caterer has downgraded F&B on the OBB. Second biggest was at myself for being "Ugly American". From Graz to Vienna (just changed trains this year), the train was going on to Prague and had Czech equipment and F&B. I ordered a "half" and am given a credit card receipt to sign. It said 288 units of something. I was taken aback and said "What is this; some kind of Czechloslovian funny money?"

That wasn't nice, Gil.

Also, for the passage over Semmering (Northward, sit on Engineer side), A really nice "fortysomething" Polish gal who spoke good English (she's with Fedex) going to Vienna, and apparently on her own, sat with me for the passage (see it before it is tunneled). With hindsight, why didn't I say "shall we have Dinner together and I'll take a later train back to Salzburg", but I didn't; missed social opportunity.

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil--

Ever the romantic! Keep it up until you can't.

We are booked through early 2020 on cruises and about to drop the Credit Card for two cruises on Azamara Lisbon to Cape Town and Cape Town back to Capetown in November/December 2020.

Have you heard anything lately from Gib in Aspen? I believe you had dinner with him once. I first knew him in the '60's in LA and then reunited here a decade ago. I believe he may have passed. E-mails are returned, the phone number I have no longer works. I believe his wife Mary is still with us so I will try contacting her.

Best,

Frank in dark and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page