RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » On-Board Amtrak - Cash or Cash Free?

Author Topic: On-Board Amtrak - Cash or Cash Free?
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thie topic linked below was originated during 2012 by a member who has long been inactive. While the topic as titled apparently reflected the Members intent, the discussion quickly moved away to to that of cash acceptance by Amtrak. Absent the topic being retitled by the Moderator, I am posting this link to ready access the material:

http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/7335.html

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A while back, I heard that it could be a big problem for people who try to pay for their airline ticket, at the airport, with cash. I guess a big wad of cash might mean, to the FBI or others, that the cash could have been stolen.

I think an Amtrak phone app, for presenting your e-ticket as well as on board purchases such as sleeper upgrades, meals and beverages, and other items would be nice. I understand, however, that there are problems with Amtrak phone apps. Maybe cell phone compatibility is one? I don't know.

I've been trying, for some time, to get a Starbucks app on my phone for cashless coffee purchases. I still haven't figured it out. I once had a Starbucks rep. on the phone, for over 45 min., who tried to help me get the app. It wasn't successful so I pay cash for my mocha.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, like Amazon and Uber, I simply have no reason to go near Starbucks. When the "tables with a view" coffee house in town closed up (after "The Politburo" let Starbucks in) Dec '16, I have found "Folgers in my Mr. Coffee" does just fine.

But the last time I was in a Starbucks (Miami '16), they accepted any plastic (debit/credit) card.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Those who hold retail businesses should be required to accept currency for purchases will be heartened by this development:

Wall Street Journal

Fair Use:
  • Philadelphia is the first major U.S. city to ban cashless stores, placing it at the forefront of a debate that pits retail innovation against lawmakers trying to protect all citizens’ access to the marketplace.

Starting in July, Philadelphia’s new law will require most retail stores to accept cash. A New York City councilman is pushing similar legislation there, and New Jersey’s legislature recently passed a bill banning cashless stores statewide. A spokesman for New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy, a Democrat, declined to comment on whether he would sign it. Massachusetts has gone the farthest on the issue and is the only state that requires retailers to accept cash

yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's interesting. I wonder if other US cities will follow suit.

Here is an article concerning the possible dangers with a cashless society:

https://is.gd/2yF3nu

From the article:

"If current government trends continue, a cashless economy could thus very well lead to an econgularity (economic singularity). Imagine a future in which soon, a government staff member could suspect an individual of some misconduct, or perhaps deem that person's politics or speech unacceptable. It would take just a few keystrokes to order all financial institutions to decline any withdrawal or payment from that individual and to transfer any deposits or payments of that person to the government, or at least freeze any access to funds".

-

Would a credit/debit card also work?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page