RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Veterans Day 2019

Author Topic: Veterans Day 2019
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remembrance Day in some countries and used to be Armistice Day here a long time ago. I'll be looking to score some freebies around town with my DD214 to cover everything. Thanks for your service, everyone!

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, the "freebie of freebies" I've had was two years ago at this restaurant around Veteran's Day:

https://hideoutsteakhouse.com/

Happy to give them a plug.

While I can't be totally sure how it went down, I was parked within sight of the hostess stand and with my VN (Vietnam Veteran) tag visible.

I was seated and ordered up some $45 of steak and wine. The restaurant is good. I was ready to leave and the Manager walks up and says "Sir, it's been taken care of. So has the girl. Thank you for your service".

As soon as I got home, I was on-line with a $50 extra contribution to the USO.

Oh, and Fisher House got my 23K United "miles" this year.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mpaulshore
Member # 3785

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mpaulshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
“Sir, it’s been taken care of. So has the girl.”—Just what kind of a restaurant is this, anyway?
Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2933

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moderator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably a restaurant where the servers appreciate a gratuity for good service.
Just a guess.

Posts: 169 | From: Northwest Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page