RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Service over Profit

Author Topic: Service over Profit
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://is.gd/2YdaV1

What profit do they have in mind?

From the article:

"Mr. Flynn has noted that service reductions to Amtrak’s long-distance routes would remain in effect for the winter. Recently, his leadership released a white paper outlining the three requirements needed to restart daily service on long-distance networks, including a provision that requires every region served by a long-distance train route to see virus hospitalization rates stabilize by February".

There is some indication that Covid 19 hospitalization rates have already stablized. I don't criticize Amtrak's thinking, but doesn't this idea fall in line with Amtrak's preconceived plan to cut services and trains?

What are the other two "white paper requirements"?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First "gotta luv" the site at which that material was found, Richard. It appears they cannot be bothered with recognizing that such was a staff reported article appearing today in The New York Times:

Look about the same, eh?

New York Times

The first observation I have is that Mr. Anderson can "color himself lucky" in that he was the only recent CEO to "escape" without a major crisis on his watch. Consider: Mr. Moorman had to address Penn Station no doubt because his predecessors "swept it under the rug", and now Mr. Flynn must face COVID which, to me, is the greatest confrontation Amtrak has faced to its continuation as a going business concern.

Even complete elimination of the Long Distance system, which of course I hold is forty years overdue, will not "right the ship". Business travel, while of course is far less of Amtrak’s ridership than that for airlines, will never return to pre-COVID levels, as companies have learned that "Zoom" conferencing works well enough and at far less cost (including exposure to liability from "nocturnal extra-curricular activites" that won't stop just because someone says "no-no").

Non-Business travel, even after the "all clear" sounds, which I think will occur during 4th Quarter '21, will still "take time", as all to many, particularly for those in the service industries, will have many more issues to address "getting caught up" than discretionsry travel. Further, before that "all clear" comes, the ranks of those presently "safe and WFH" will also be adversely affected.

Now the advocacy community, along with their friends on The Hill, notes LD ridenship is down 62% compared with 80 for the whole system. They further try to compare such with the Postal Service and brcause of the "underserved" rural communities should be continued. But one little difference - the Postal Service has a constitutional mandate to exist, and the last time I checked Amtrak only has enacted legislation.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, of course, the USPS does have a mandate to exist, while Amtrak doesn't. But Congressional critters have their own mandate. They will stick to maintaining the Amtrak train, in their state, like Br'er Rabbit sticks to the Tar-Baby. But, there might eventually be enough of both Democratic and Republican critters around who question the need for the LD train. I've always hoped the LD train will not fall into the abyss, but if the train experience, especially food services, on LD trains don't improve I really don't care if LD trains do become no more than history.

I was thinking the other day, about the problems with the Post Office. Mail delivery seems to be slower than ever. A lot of the Post Office problems, I think, are not do to the fault of the Post Office. The predominance of outfits like UPS and Fedex have greatly decreased the Post Offices's parcel delivery service. Email and Fax seem to be the means for businesses and individuals to get mail. I still like regular mail for receiving and paying bills, but I'm not part of the younger generation. I was trying to think of the last time I wrote a letter, to someone, and stuffed the letter in an envelope for USPS mailing.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friends-261
Member # 197801

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friends-261     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and stuffed the letter in an envelope for USPS mailing.

You can forget getting it picked up at your home
residence - My carrier advised that the plot is
cut service to the bone and no more running the
red flag on the mail box to pickup mail. Even so
much as to discourage handing it directly to a
postal person anywhere on duty !

Egads time to return to the days of the Pony Express
and get a lynching rope to the officials tampering
with the mail service delivery.
Imagine living on a RR (Rural Route not Railroad)
and to get your mail you have to drive to town
and retrieve it out of a rental mail box -
Oh and when the service is open !

The US Government is not run for a profit why should
the Post Office be any different !

Rich (politicians) don't need the post office they
have their own private airplanes and people to
deliver their messages.

Posts: 11 | From: Mpls/St.Paul MN | Registered: Jun 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Mr. Friends. I haven't, as yet, heard a rumor that the postal carrier will no longer pick up mail if you red flag your mail box. I have been doing that, quite a bit, with the "sheltering in place" edict. In normal times, I like to use the mail box outside my Safeway market. I always worry about thieves stealing mail from a reg flag residential mail box.

Service does seem to be on the downside My postman used to delivery mail, to my house, in the late morning or early afternoon. Now, he comes 5PM-8PM. This past winter, I needed a flashlight to go out and retrieve mail from the mail box. The quantity of mail is much less. A number of days I don't even get junk mail.

Richard

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems that my recurring outgoing mail is down to three items per month. Gas, sewer, both want "convenience fees" unless you sign up for automatic debit - something I'm not about to do!

There's always one or two more items a month that are "mail in your check".

All of these I drop in the box in front of the Post Office.

Once a year, if that, I "buy a roll" of stamps. If I have twenty additional non-recurring items a year, I'd be amazed. The Post Office's greatest innovation is the "forever" stamp (How many here knew they're available in the Additional Ounce denomination as well?).

The only monthly incoming item I get that "I get a little sweaty" about is my monthly investment income check (add: "it's in" 9/5). Of course it can be replaced, but "let's not go there".

The Carrier on my route - she's very sweet and "adequately" efficient. Haven't had too many "hi neighbor; got something for you. Anything for me?" encounters of late.

I think a Carrier (unionized) gets about $70K a year.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Here is a great idea for really fast mail pickup and delivery:

https://is.gd/WjwRAc

Richard

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Here was a great idea; since US Mail no longer moves by rail, "gotta wonder", if that was ever done using trucks.

Further, lest we forget, railroads once had Agents in every "Jerkwater Jct." town. Further, the last "working RPO" was during 1977; Conrail 3-4 Kearney, NJ-Wash.

The infrastructure to support any kind of mail handling by rail has long since been dismantled.

Friends-261
Member # 197801

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friends-261     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to think that those gray unmarked freight
cars at the end of the train where carrying mail.
Don't see them anymore.

A ton of mail was moved by commercial air -
I know on a 8 hour shift in the wee hours I
loaded 13 ton of mail on 11 Delta Airline flights
out of MSP.
The mail pre Delta merger with Northwest Airlines
was a big profit item -
Now the mail no longer moves by commercial air.
Contracted out to space on FedEx UPS and other
freight forwarding air services.
The big 747 DC10/11 L1011 767 container airplanes.

Trucks haul the mail from major Midwest cities
of air hub services of FedEx and UPS.

Just up around the corner are the Elections -
your mail in ballot is handled almost as the same
class as junk mail (First Class) where it should
be Priority Mail - - -
Mail that Absolutely Positively must be delivered Timely !
Mail your ballot in early least the Pony Express
has some unforeseen upgrading with overloaded
saddle bags !

Posts: 11 | From: Mpls/St.Paul MN | Registered: Jun 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page