RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Empire Builder Trip Report

Author Topic: Empire Builder Trip Report
aus_train
Member # 197810

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aus_train   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

Another trip report just published! This one on the Empire Builder from Seattle to Chicago.
What a beautiful trip! My trip was pre-COVID so the service onboard described is pre-Flex Dining on Amtrak's western long-distance trains.

https://trainreview.com/article/exploring-glacier-national-park-and-americas-north-aboard-amtraks-empire-builder

I hope everyone is well and staying safe!

--------------------
Memma
Train Lover and Avid Traveller!

Posts: 22 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Jul 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting pictures and narrative. If the virus dies down and if the EB is still running, I may take the Builder Seattle to Whitefish next summer. I hope the meals, aboard, are as good as they were on the trip recounted, but I remain skeptical. If it's open, the Stumptown GN museum is interesting, located in the Whitefish depot.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aus_train
Member # 197810

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aus_train   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope things get a little better and you're able to get to Whitefish! I can't say I'm that excited about Flex dining on the long haul routes to the west - I wonder how long that will be the default setting for...

--------------------
Memma

Posts: 22 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Jul 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miss Molly, I think best be prepared that Flex Dining is here to stay. While the legislation known as the so called "Mica Rule" requiring that Amtrak break even on Food and Beverage sales has been repealed, the cost savings of having a two man Dining Car crew cannot be overlooked. Having something "attractive" for experiential riders like yourself is no longer in the playbook.

It's not going to occur overnight - maybe even take ten years, but I think it's "curtain call" for the LD's.

Messrs. Anderson and Flynn were hired by the Amtrak Board to execute the policies they set forth (and they in turn hired and retained Mr. Gardner, who the advocacy community thinks is the real "boogeyman"), one of which is to finally fifty years later get rid of what was simply to be a transitional "ease the pain" product.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder, Aus-Train and Mr. Norman, if there could be some sort of "middle ground" between entirely eliminating the Long Distance Amtrak train and their retention.

How about if Amtrak were to eliminate all LD trains except for a few on popular LD routes. If Amtrak were to eliminate, let's say, all but 6-7 LD's, could the remaining LD's have service enhancements due to the money saved? Restore the freshly prepared meals in dining cars and cafe cars. Enhance sightseer lounge cars. Make Amtrak an enjoyable experience, again, if that is at all possible.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great thought, Archie/Richard/Western Star. Such follows the lead that the SP and the ICC agreed to regarding the "Sunset" back in regulated days. On that, where, on a Daily Coach and Automat train, Sleeping (including a PRR-SRY/SP line) and Full-Service Dining were restored in exchange for a Tri-Weekly frequency. Based on a Dec '70 ride NO-ELP, I think SP lived up to their side of the bargain.

But why do that when I sincerely believe the objective is to be rid of those trains - a process that was to have started on A-Day + 5 years, allowing the Class I industry to move ahead, for better or worse, implementing Precision Railroading.

From what I know about it, and the performance issues affecting The Canadian operating over the road were PSR was born, such and scheduled passenger trains simply do not mix.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aus_train
Member # 197810

Rate Member
I wonder if model more like VIA have on the Canadian or we used to on the Indian Pacific and The Ghan could work on say the Zephyr, the Coast Starlight, the Empire Builder, the Silver Meteor and a couple of other trains?

Amtrak or a private operator could introduce a sleeping car service is upgraded to become more of a cruise on land with a restaurant and dedicated lounge, and the coach sections remain unchanged?

--------------------
Memma

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Memma, the answer to your immediate is a "been there done that" - and a flop.

Numerous private sector "Luxotrains" have operated during the Amtrak era, with their own Non-Agreement on-board service crews. So long as they do not handle passengers between intermediate stops, they apparently do not violate "Existing Labor Agreements" between Amtrak and their employees.

For example, Ed Ellis' flopped Pullman Rail Journeys was several (two or three) "Private Cars" attached to Amtrak 58-59, City of New Orleans" (CONO in fanese). Passengers between intermediate stops were not handled.

All the other private sector operations of which I'm aware, followed that same guideline - except one.

The one was the Hoosier State; State funded Chi-Indpls. Here, the train, locomotive and cars, and on-board employees were all owned/employed by Iowa Pacific RR, Ed Ellis' outfit.

Amtrak was contracted with to provide Rules Qualified Train and Engine employees that were covered by Agreement. Save emergency maintenance, that was Amtrak’s extent, and intermediate stops were served.

There was an instance about ten years ago where NY-Albany trains contracted out their food service to an outside contractor with Non-Agreement employees staffing the car. That lasted about three days after violence occurred. Since then, no Food Service has been offered on the 141 mile "five a day" route.

Amtrak attempting to market and operate a Luxotrain? They could, but I wouldn't place your bets on that one. The objective is to get rid of those trains - not enhance them

I think my Auto Train "Voyage 25" this past January was my last. Train was "smack on time", the Attendant "exceptional", food "edible", "everything worked", and my auto not damaged. Amenities and "experiential"? Find just as much with a ride on a commuter train. So it's just become a case of paying some $675 ('18 it was $945, so it was "forget it" during '19) to save 395 miles of driving. That is "not exactly" cost beneficial.

Finally, I must accept that the trip last January was likely my final "road trip" to FL. There won't be any during '21, so '22 at 81yo will be first opportunity. That simply is a "not likely".

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page