TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » "Modified" Dining Extended into 2021

Author Topic: "Modified" Dining Extended into 2021
Member # 2933

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moderator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The wife and I have a trip booked on the Sunset Limited / Texas Eagle #422 LAX-STL -- departing LAX on December 30th.

Going to celebrate the end of this horrible, horrible year on the train.

Anyway, got a text message saying that the "simplified" menu has been extended now. Originally, it was supposed to go away December 15th. We were hoping it would, but knew that would not be likely.

So expect the microwaved food into the winter, spring, and maybe forever?

Posts: 169 | From: Northwest Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Tabern, much as it's difficult for "experiential" riders like yourself and "the Mrs." to envision, I will be very surprised if full-service Dining returns - ever, anywhere.

I would even think it could be in jeopardy on the Auto-Train; even though Amtrak apparently can charge whatever they want for the service.

During '19, they "pushed my obscenity button" wanting $972 for a February Northbound "voyage". Taveling from Boca to home, the net saving of miles driven was 396, and no time whatever. It's two nights out "either-or" ("straight-thru" college stuff? another life).

During Jan '20, again Northbound, the rate had dropped to $679 - and I had arranged a Lunch in the Wash area after arrival. But the "Dining service"? Sorry. The Short Ribs were two miniature "hockey pucks" and a waiter coming around with two paper milk bottles of wine, and asking "Red or White" simply "don't cut it" with me.

So even if they do restore full-service Dining to trains #1 through #14, I wouldn't expect much. I think the "mees in Wash" - the Bean Counters - are looking at the cost savings resulting from the "Flex Dining" and recommending "stay with it". To restore the full-service, would take political pressure - and I think "the Lions" in Congress that "pulled that stuff" have simply moved on.

And "Amtrak Joe" is really "Corridor Joe".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An article, titled ""Garbage Served, Garbage Generated", from Railway Age back in Jan. of 2020.

https://is.gd/wfiYro

If 10% of sleeper accommodation revenue goes to meal services, should that not be enough to help offset the cost of providing and maintaining traditional dining car services? What if meals weren't free for passengers in sleepers? What about the brief experience, on the Sunset Limited, with 24 hr meal service. Could that be possible with other Amtrak trains?

I wish we could get a truly honest breakdown of Amtrak meal service costs and compare such to other Amtrak service costs.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:

[The Short Ribs were two miniature "hockey pucks" and a waiter coming around with two paper milk bottles of wine, and asking "Red or White" simply "don't cut it" with me.]

I'll bet the white wine wasn't "Kistler" and the red wine wasn't "Chateau Lafite Rothschild".

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, Richard, it was MOST DEFINITELY NOT.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page