RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Concerns with Amtrak "Hot Turning" Bedrooms Again

Author Topic: Concerns with Amtrak "Hot Turning" Bedrooms Again
Member # 2933

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moderator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I just completed a trip on the Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle #422 that departed LAX at 10PM PT on 12/30/20... arriving in St. Louis at 7:30AM CT on 1/2/21. We had Bedroom C and Roomette 9. (Neither of us like sleeping on the top bunks) Had a great trip all the way... with attendants allowing cafe car food instead of the dining car meals, if we so choose. One thing that did concern me though. We arrived into St. Louis about 59 minutes early (6:25AM). Our room attendant said we could stay on until 7:45AM and even enjoy a breakfast before getting off the train. Then mid-breakfast, he comes and finds us and asks if it's okay if he moved all our bags to Roomette 9, as he just got word from the conductor Amtrak sold our Bedroom C from STL-CHI... and the "new people" would be aboard in about 5 minutes. We were fine with that and he did the best job he could to clean the room... but YIKES!!!! I thought Amtrak was NOT "hot turning" the sleeping car rooms during this time of COVID-19. I mean we had basically been in there for something like 54 hours from LAX-STL and he had 5 minutes to do a quick clean and to get the beds made back up. I don't think I would feel comfortable getting on in STL and going into a bedroom that someone else had spent 3 nights and 54 hours in and only got the most basic of cleaning. From now on... we will only get on a LD train at the origin station...
Posts: 169 | From: Northwest Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"From now on" or "for the duration", Mr. Tabern?
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im avoiding travel like this as long as COVID is a major issue anyway, too many risks. I love Amtrak but it will probably be summer or later before I "hop on" (of course I live in Vermont and Amtrak service to and from the state has been suspended since the pandemic began...probably just one of many reasons we have the lowest covid numbers in the country).
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, the folks getting on had no idea about the room's previous occupancy. Don't ruin their travel! BTW, what is the difference between dining car food and cafe car food? Why would you choose one over the other?
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about mask use on non-sleepers? My guess is plenty of noncompliants for one reason or another. A friends was in a doctor's waiting room where someone took off her mask to eat an orange! In a doctor's waiting room!!! She just couldn't wait to eat that orange!!!

This article has a political bent but mentions an even worse mask problem (because of duration) en passant:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-07/project-veritas-leader-overheard-on-amtrak-talking-strategy

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2933

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moderator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
"From now on" or "for the duration", Mr. Tabern?

Probably until we are vaccinated.
Posts: 169 | From: Northwest Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2933

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by TBlack:
Of course, the folks getting on had no idea about the room's previous occupancy. Don't ruin their travel! BTW, what is the difference between dining car food and cafe car food? Why would you choose one over the other?

The cafe car food had such things as mac & cheese, pizza, hot dog, hamburger, cheese & cracker tray, etc.

The dining car offered the same 5 options for lunch and dinner every day of the trip. Microwaved spaghetti, beef dish, chicken dish, seafood dish, and some enchilada dish.

There is actually more variety in the cafe car right now.

The mac & cheese in the cafe car was actually better than any of the dining car food.

Member # 2933

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
What about mask use on non-sleepers? My guess is plenty of noncompliants for one reason or another. A friends was in a doctor's waiting room where someone took off her mask to eat an orange! In a doctor's waiting room!!! She just couldn't wait to eat that orange!!!

This article has a political bent but mentions an even worse mask problem (because of duration) en passant:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-07/project-veritas-leader-overheard-on-amtrak-talking-strategy

We had to walk through the coaches to get to the dining car from LAX-SAS the way our sleeper was positioned on the back of the train. Each time going back and forth we counted atleast 10 people in coach who had their mask off and were not actively eating or drinking.

SAS-STL we did not go in the coaches, as our sleeper was added into the Texas Eagle consist next to the dining car.

Enforcement depended on the conductors. No surprise there. Some didn't care. One conductor who went from Dallas to Texarkana kept making announcements about it every 10 minutes. He had a thick Texas accent and you could tell he was not playing around.

TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The dining car offered the same 5 options for lunch and dinner every day of the trip. Microwaved spaghetti, beef dish, chicken dish, seafood dish, and some enchilada dish.

There is actually more variety in the cafe car right now.

The mac & cheese in the cafe car was actually better than any of the dining car food. [/QB][/QUOTE]

So, if you're in a sleeper and want the mac & cheese, do you get to eat it in the lounge area, or do you have to take it back to your room?

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2933

Member Rated:
TBlack,

The attendant let me eat it in the dining area because my wife was having one of the pre-packaged dining car meals. Or else she said she would ask that I take it back to the room.

RT

TBlack
Member # 181

Moderator,
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll wait until we can eat in the dining car again. I've got the Cardinal on my list.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I, along with I think most others around here, have curtailed non-essential travel "for the duration", there are some who participate at one or more other sites, still feel this compulsion.

OK, maybe "I'm a chicken", considering I have not been further than five miles away from home, have driven some 1300 miles, forgotten what a restaurant, concert, hotel, commercial transportation, and even a public restroom, are all about since "the beginning", I'm astounded at anyone who still does any kind of discretionary travel.

Apparently all too many of those who do seem to object to the Federally imposed mask mandates covering all modes of commercial transportation. Obviously this includes Amtrak - and apparently Sleepers as well.

On an airplane or Amtrak Coach it's "best get with the program", for as some who blatantly flaunt such find "Two in Blue" awaiting their arrival. Now so far as traveling Sleeper, I don't know how any such mandate could be enforced. Could there be en-route "shakedowns"? While room doors apparently cannot be opened from the outside, what's to say that the "Two..." are not waiting at destination for an offender?

If I were confronted with a family emergency in Greenwich CT (78yo Sister with "health issues"), I'd probably be behind the wheel for the 18hr two fuel-stops only run (normally "break" Clarion PA EW, Akron WW). I'd like to think that the Hyatt there at which I always stay is properly sanitized. Honestly, I'm scared to go on a flight, and would not be looking forward to the quarantine period now imposed by Illinois on my return.

My public space contact is limited to (masked of course) fifteen minutes stops at the grocery store, as well as five minutes at the dry cleaners and bank. Fast food has been by means of the only means available at present - drive up (has caused one of my auto's rims to get chewed up).

The only major exception to that was yesterday for VAX-1 where the entire process took about an hour. No side effects so far today, (BTW I'm told it might be different for VAX-2).

Mr. Tabern, it appears you and Mrs. T are willing to travel about on Amtrak, COVID notwithstanding. Any thoughts on my comments?

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil, I'm only slightly less housebound than you, but I really have nowhere to go other than Publix, the bank, takeout eats, and my daughter's house. I get the "second section" of Pfizer in 5 days, assuming my county health department is as on the ball as they were with the 1st one. Only had a little left arm soreness for a couple of days.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm holding off getting the Covid vaccine until the Johnson & Jonson product becomes available. The say late March and it's a one-shot vaccination.

I guess Amtrak waiting rooms can be a concern for the spread of the virus, but when warmer weather comes, you can wait outside the station which should have an advantage over airports.

Here is a bit of a comparison regarding air, train, and private car travel during the pandemic:

https://is.gd/b0SWf9

I would never consider air or Amtrak coach travel if you have to wear a mask onboard. Amtrak sleepers would seem to be ok. Some say, by late summer and if the infection rate stays low, the shutdown curtain may be lifted as they think most people will have had their vaccinations by then. However, Dr. Fauci thinks that masks may be required until Dec, 2021. I think that might be overkill. I see people walking their dog, on my street, wearing a mask with nobody else on the street. I even see people wearing masks under clear plastic face shields! I can't help thinking there are people in government licking their lips at govt's ability to control people. At some point, I think we need to return to normalcy and try to revive the economy.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Richard, VAX-2 for me is scheduled Mar 3 (Pfizer). VAX-1 had, for all intent and purpose, no side effects. Again, I have been alerted VAX-2 is "not so user-friendly".

The clinic, sponsored by my HS District was a modicum of efficiency. The whole process - including time in purgatory for the allergy check - was an hour.

I had never set foot in the HS in the forty years I've lived in the District (no kids), even though their line item on my Real Estate Taxes last year was about $3K. Well, I guess I finally got something for the inflation adjusted $120K I've thrown into their "Kitty". A neighbor with kids going there tipped me off. I signed up and was accepted.

I think the "All Clear" will sound during 4th Qtr '21. I also think the economy will rebound quite rapidly. Higher income folk are working, albeit from home. This is unlike '08 when they were at the food bank.

Finally, regarding Stimulus checks. A lot of people are getting them who simply have no need for such. If amongst that population, how about making a charitable donation of those funds? You'll feel good for doing so.

Wall Street Journal Opinion

disclaimer: author long PFE

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil, you know I'm long Novavax, and I tried to get into their trial up in Gainesville but was rejected for a slightly elevated BP (not worrisome). Not feasible to wait for their product, though, and I think it might not be a factor in the US even though it might prove out yet to be "best in class" and save the world. I made bank on NVAX in 2020, and still HODL'ing (HODL is the bastardization of the word HOLD that these cryptocurrency traders came up with).
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lately they are rethinking the theory about getting covid fron surfaces. Unless someone sneezes directly on a surface and you immediately rub your hand in it and bring to your face the chances are real slim to get it from surfaces.

--------------------
The Copper Country Limited [Milwaukee Road-Soo Line] and the Peninsula 400 [CNW} still my favorites

Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick note to say hello. We have not traveled since early February, 2020. We did get a quick trip to Madrid in to see our now 5 1/2 year old nephews at the end of January. Good thing we did!

Five cruises cancelled last year. Full refund on one but "Future Cruise Credits" for the full amount on the others. Celebrity Cruises is sitting on about $12,000 of my money right now. Current rules say it must be used on a cruise starting no later than 9/30/22. I expect that will be extended.

I miss even the short trips on AMTRAK to SLO or SAN or LAUPT. I occasionally see the NB Starlight fly through Carpinteria when I'm at "The Spot" for a burger. Is it no longer daily?

Frank in dark and gusty SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Frank, hardly rising to your level of unused travel, I have $3200 with United after CXing Salzburg (ORD-MUC) last August. The Certificate is valid through April '22. Let's hope "I don't go to bed with it".

IF the "All Clear" sounds during the 4th Qtr - as I think it will - then I'm giving thought to Australia for two weeks during April '22. I don't want to go during Summer (Dec-Feb) as my Niece's kids (Girls; a Teen and a Tween) will be screaming how they want to go to the beach. Beaches and me? Well think of Sheriff Brody from "Jaws" - that's me!

I'll be 80yo - closing in on 81, and I must question if I will still "be in shape" for such a trip. My Sister (now 78yo) has been three times (she goes for six weeks - and stays with them!!!), but on each trip, she "has had to go in" for this or that. Once was hospital in-patient - and Medicare "uh not too good" down there (I think she did recover some from her Supplemental).

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Ya, I just turned 79 and the thought of even a trip within the US (Saratoga/Utah/Maine possible) is daunting. Way ahead of you guys, though, in credits/accounts receivable to worry about. All I have is a Starbucks gift card with a few bucks on it, and it never expires!

Oh, Gil, I can attest to the fact that Pfizer 2.0 comes with slightly greater side effects.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mike, I'm ready. If the "flu like" side effects are "it", then it is a small price to pay for protection against that virus, given our respective ages, "could take us out".

Now of concern to me is the same concern a neighbor I was talking with yesterday has. She holds that, even with an "All Clear" sounded, she will still be reluctant to go to a restaurant or public event. She wonders "who will sound the All Clear"?

Will it be an epidemiologist like Dr. Fauci with unimpeachable credentials, or some "pol" responding to adversely affected social or economic interests?

All I know is that when I get "poke #2" on March 3, it's hardly all over.

yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman:

I think most Americans are wondering about the same thing your neighbor is wondering about. Who will sound the "all clear".

Who will Amtrak listen to with regard to when Amtrak route frequencies and normal Amtrak travel can be reestablished?

I suppose it could be Dr. Fauci or the NIH. Politicians and medical authorities, in high places, like to "CYA" it, and delay opening up the country until they feel safe from criticism.

If there are state holdouts, even after a national "all clear", will Amtrak still have to observe Covid sanitation, disinfection, and social distancing requirements when traveling through those states? Or, on the flip side, even if the lockdown is still in place for another year, can Amtrak, before then, ignore such and return to normal...normal schedules and no virus restrictions?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Mike, I'm ready. If the "flu like" side effects are "it", then it is a small price to pay for protection against that virus, given our respective ages, "could take us out".

Now of concern to me is the same concern a neighbor I was talking with yesterday has. She holds that, even with an "All Clear" sounded, she will still be reluctant to go to a restaurant or public event. She wonders "who will sound the All Clear"?

Will it be an epidemiologist like Dr. Fauci with unimpeachable credentials, or some "pol" responding to adversely affected social or economic interests?

All I know is that when I get "poke #2" on March 3, it's hardly all over.

On a recent visit we talked to our regular doctor about he vaccine. He said all in his office has had it except himself. He had the disease. Said it was no fun. Was out for about 2 weeks. I think he is 55-60. No one had side effects including one of the women who after a couple severe reactions to flu shots
quit taking them.

His statements on it, the first shot leaves you with a sore arm about like a tetanus shot and after the second shot it is normal to have flu like symptoms for a day or two. He also emphatically made the point that everyone should be taking Zinc and Vitamin C. Even if not totally preventive it will reduce the severity significantly. Likewise for the supposed 5%+/- vaccine failures, the severity of the disease is significantly reduced.

We are attempting to schedule the vaccine, but north Mississippi is essentially closed down by the weather. We do not ever see 6 inches of snow on top of 3 inches of snow and four days running with highs under 25 degrees and a couple of single digit lows. (Hello, North Dakota, we found the weather you misplaced.)

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil et al. --

I had my second Pfizer shot yesterday and, so far, no reactions. The nurse at the drive through facility said that she had hear that the Moderna vaccine had stronger reactions. Who knows?

Gil-- I'm hoping that your certificate will be extended. Give them a call. It can't hurt.

I'm about ready to book five cruises in 2022 that will use up my FCC's. If things are not "normal" by then I'm hoping there will be extensions.

We had booked cruises to South Africa to celebrate my 80th birthday in December. I'm more than willing to extend them to 81 or 82.

Nobody answered my question about the Starlight. Is it still daily or not?

Best,

Frank in dark and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Well, so far no notification that my March 3 VAX-2 (Pfizer) has been "postponed". I guess the sponsoring High School District, and the provider, Albertsons (dba Jewel-Osco around here) are satisfied that any supply disruptions will have been addressed by then.

Now my Sister is a "horse of a different color". She had an appointment for her VAX-1, but she CXD. I guess either Newsmax (she no longer watches Fox when one of their on-airs acknowledged that Joe won) or her Evangelical church "got to her".

Meantime Mr. Harris, lets hope FEDEX can get their yard in your hometown dug out so they can start shipping again.

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
For the time being the vaccination center I went to is being run by a branch of our only hospital -- Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital. It's a really smooth drive through affair. 20 minutes max including the wait time after.

No answer yet about the Starlight. Is it still daily in both directions? I COULD look on the website, I suppose.

Gil-- Were you able to get the rim fixed? If not, have your mechanic put it on the passenger side. You'll forget about it. I did that with my 2009 Elantra when I scuffed one of the wheel covers. Still under 20000!

Frank in breezy and cool SBA

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Frank, it's no secret around here that "this boy likes his cars". The rim is on the passenger side so I don't see it unless I look for it. It happened at a "regional" (HQ'd in Wisconsin near Madison) fast food joint - Culver's - going through their Drive-Thru. Those 20" "glorified bicycle wheels" that Lex puts on their LS 500 and the chrome rims means they cannot be ground out and rechromed without tying up the car for likely two weeks. So I live with it until the "All Clear" and I no longer need use the fast food Drive Throughs.

I've only driven "Black Beauty" - my '18 Lex LS - 21600 miles; and only 1600 miles since "the beginning" almost a year ago.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page