RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Zephyr Via The Overland Route

Author Topic: Zephyr Via The Overland Route
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've often wondered if UP has sought a private sector operator to exclusively operate a Denver-Salt Lake City, presumably a "luxotrain", excursion service and reroute the Zephyr on the Overland Route. There'd be no need to grant the access at bargain basement rates as the clientele is "not to be bothered with little details" such as paying, say, $100 premium per ticket, in addition to a "luxofare", for that access. Presumably, just as with the proposed Denver-Moab "luxo", an overnight would be made at Glenwood and with an "Aspen option" for the "real la-de-dahs" in this life. The second day would feature a daylight X-ing of Soldier Summit - a view only passengers on a "way late" #6 presently get.

It is my understanding that BNSF, under their trackage rights obtained during the 90's merger movement, more train-miles over the DRGW than does owner UP. If such be the case, then "interference" is more Warren's problem than Uncle Pete's.

I happen to think the Overland Route is "awe inspiring" just to think how 150 years ago, people X'd it on foot under hostile conditions in search of a new life. I rode the "City" enough to have had the first hand experience (more fun sitting in the Dome with a "libation" in hand) and have also driven I-80 (and when I was separated from Service Jan '69 @ Hill AFB, many parts still two lane US 30) without of course "libations" - well, until tying up at Little America (near Granger).

Further, I doubt if the Superliner fleet will ever be replaced, and wouldn't be surprised if the Sightseers are withdrawn before the end of their service life. "Functional" Snack Bar service would be offered from one end of the Diner (that's all the Pioneer and Desert Wind had), although hopefully the conversions could be done for less than $1M per copy as was the case with the 370XX Diner-Lounges.

So long as there is "Congressional expediency" to keep them, the LD "model" will become "no frills functional transportation" with replacement equipment readily convertible to short-distance "Corridor" service. I think the "model" for such exists along the Australian East Coast with State operated "two a day" between Brisbane and Melbourne via, of course, Sydney. Plenty of You Tube videos to view of those services.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they did reroute the Zephyr over the Overland Roue, I wonder it they could work out a schedule, for the Zephyr, that would allow arrival into Salt Lake City at a reasonable time?

If UP were to allow a private passenger train from Denver to Salt Lake, it might have to be an overnight train with sleepers, as it's about a 15 hour train ride.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, I think the Overland Route saves about an hour over the D&RGW, so Salt Lake could be served at more reasonable hour - both East and West.

The possible private sector passenger train I set forth would "overnight" at Glenwood; so it would be (Luxo) Coach only.

Wow just think, we could have a "Moffat Tunnel Corridor" with "one a day" each to Glenwood and Moab, and additionally during Winter, Winter Park.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page