TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Cancel Culture

Author Topic: Amtrak Cancel Culture
Member # 2933

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moderator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As of today (2/13/2021), a major snowfall is predicted through Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas.

Amtrak is cancelling the Texas Eagle, which I can understand with upto 16" of snow in the forecast.

"Due to forecasted winter storm and expected blizzard conditions, Texas Eagle Train 21/421 which is due to depart Chicago on 2/14 & Train 22/422 which is due to depart San Antonio (SAS)/Los Angeles on 2/14 & 2/12 are canceled between St. Louis & San Antonio."

But now they are also cancelling the Southwest Chief (#3 out of CHI today and #4 out of LAX today). The train goes nowhere near where the heavy snowfall is, yet Amtrak says #3 and #4 are due to a pending blizzard.

"SERVICE ALERT: Due to forecasted winter storm and expected blizzard conditions, Southwest Chief Train 3 due to depart Chicago (CHI) on 2/13 & Southwest Chief Train 4 due to departed Los Angeles (LAX) on 2/13 are canceled in their entirety."

I don't see on Blizzard Watch or Warning on the map.

https://www.weather.gov/

There is a Winter Weather Advisory in Kansas where the Southwest Chief goes through Kansas. Maybe 4 inches.

Imagine the Santa Fe cancelling the Super Chief because of 4" of snow.

Amtrak is probably doing it just to save money.

Posts: 169 | From: Northwest Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sad but the all weather mode that they use to advertise is long gone.

--------------------
The Copper Country Limited [Milwaukee Road-Soo Line] and the Peninsula 400 [CNW} still my favorites

Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not gone; they're pretending it is, even though close to two centuries of experience prove otherwise.
Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ads, back from the days when railroads did that sort of thing.

New Haven: "Center to Center All Weather Service"

DL&W: "Your Trip Is Weather Proof When You Go Lackawanna"

Long Island R R (on an overpass): "Up Here, Carefree Riding. Down There Worried Driving".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the Farmers' Almanac for weather predictions.

-

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page