RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Portland Sleeper on EB - Shocking Prices

Author Topic: Portland Sleeper on EB - Shocking Prices
Member # 2933

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moderator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The wife and I are planning a 16 day trip to Guam and Hawaii for December 2021/January 2022. We always like taking the train home because it's a relaxing way to end a vacation. We fly from Honolulu (HNL) into Portland (PDX) -- and then will take the Empire Builder back to MSP.

There are only 5 bedrooms on the #28 Portland Sleeper. All 5 were still available for the Jan 01 '22 departure we wanted. We snagged one room with points.

I went back to check and that bumped up the other 4 bedrooms to over $2,450 for 2 people from Portland to Chicago. Yikes!

I love the train, but don't know how much more we are going to ride. $2,450 would get us round-trip first class tickets to Hawaii. Can't imagine spending that much one way in a bedroom on Amtrak.

How is Amtrak "losing money" with almost $2,500 bedrooms?

Posts: 169 | From: Northwest Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simple enough, Mr. Tabern.

There are only five of those "chips" and an absolute max of 36 fares to cover the cost of the Attendant. Additionally, look at your MofE costs on that car, what with ten potties in which dunderheads can throw "whatever" down and have them clog. Same with the six showers.

It's a loser, and restricting the supply as Amtrak does only helps the cause somewhat.

Enjoy PHNL and PGUA; I've been to both - if you call passing through at some 0-Dark-30 hour while in Service as "been there".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I does look like Amtrak prices, especially for sleepers, are on the rise:

https://is.gd/a507fJ

"Heavy demand for private rooms on many routes has prompted Amtrak to charge the highest fares that passengers will pay. But the westbound California Zephyr leaving Chicago on April 5 still had four roomettes priced at $1,052 each and three bedrooms at $1,825 each for anyone traveling to Emeryville, Calif."

Never let a crisis go to waste.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
42 sq ft and crap food, for 800 a night?

Not only no...

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page