RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New Paint Schemes for Amtrak's 50th Anniversary

Author Topic: New Paint Schemes for Amtrak's 50th Anniversary
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just give a P-42 that "50 years" decal; forget the rest.

For an outfit that has to beg to Congress at this time, for "gas and driver money", the rest seems out of place.

Enough people's lives have been disrupted by this scourge; celebrating "your 50'th", Amtrak, is just a sacrifice you need make.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the one labeled "Phase V" with the "50 years" decal is more than sufficient. Anything more is "lipstick on the pig". Don't know what you mean by "Enough people's lives have been disrupted by this scourge," however. I do not consider Amtrak a scourge. Considering a lot of other things that Uncle has spent money on, and the "Covid relief" bill is a poster child of that, a well funded Amtrak would be a good thing, but the money best spent on service quality, and assistance in upgrades to increase reliability and decrease run times, in areas outside the Northeast Corridor. (From what I know about money that has been spent on the NEC, much of it has been spending $10 to achieve $2 worth of improvements and satisfication of politicians egos.)
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I certainly concur Mr. Harris; COVID is the scourge that among everything else it has brought upon our society, it has brought Amtrak from an "almost self sufficient" government agency to one that needs to "shake the cup" for gas money and driver pay.

I wholly accept that my immediate was faulty regarding that point.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotcha
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do agree Amtrak has become a scourge, if not a national embarrassment. I am pro Amtrak because I love the passenger train, not Amtrak, but Amtrak is all we have. As far as the 1.9 trillion Covid bill is concerned, only 9% of the Covid bill goes for true Covid relief. It's mostly pork. What if Amtrak could have just an itsy-bitsy chunk of that pork? Infrastructure repair for the NEC, quality LD's, and maybe the return of the Pacific Parlor Car.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Richard, I think "true COVID relief" goes only as far as the Stimulus payments and the Supplemental Unemployment benefits. Everything else, including LD frequency restoration and the recall of the employees needed to run them, is simply "oink oink".
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Richard, I think "true COVID relief" goes only as far as the Stimulus payments and the Supplemental Unemployment benefits. Everything else, including LD frequency restoration and the recall of the employees needed to run them, is simply "oink oink".

AMEN
One number I heard was something in the neighborhood of $5,000 cost in the bill for each $1,400 benefit. Everyone involved should be embarrassed to have anything to do with this pork barrel.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by yukon11:
What if Amtrak could have just an itsy-bitsy chunk of that pork? Infrastructure repair for the NEC, quality LD's, and maybe the return of the Pacific Parlor Car.

Richard, I'll meet you half way on your statement. If the ARPA21 had specifically allocated funds to NEC infrastructure, that would have been a very tasty, properly cooked with a "touch of pink" loin of pork. Now insofar as "quality LD's complete with a Pacific Parlour"...I didn't see that!

ARRA09 (Obama Stimulus) did provide for rail infrastructure and equipment improvements, however that also started "oinking" when stuff like an X-Kansas HSR got thrown in.

Finally, allow me to clarify a point that I think gets confused. The Positive Train Control mandate, which I'm afraid has proven to be needed, was NOT part of Obama's ARRA09, but rather Bush's "lame duck" RSIA08, which was enacted in the wake of Chatsworth.

MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I worked on capitol hill for 9 years and legislative affairs for another 3. Ive seen my share of pork bills, bills with funds for everything including the kitchen sink when the bill is supposed to be for xyz. From both sides of the aisle. Im not denying the covid bill isnt bloated, but at least most/all of the funds are at least tangibly related to covid (ie money to Amtrak to restart services that were shut down due to covid).
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by MontanaJim:
I worked on capitol hill for 9 years and legislative affairs for another 3. Ive seen my share of pork bills, bills with funds for everything including the kitchen sink when the bill is supposed to be for xyz. From both sides of the aisle. Im not denying the covid bill isnt bloated, but at least most/all of the funds are at least tangibly related to covid (ie money to Amtrak to restart services that were shut down due to covid).

From some of the noises I heard about this bill that was not true. Aside which, why not make that a separate bill honestly titled.

If I recall my long time ago college course correctly, the Tennessee state constitution prohibits any act of the legislature to include any provision not directly related to the bill's purpose and title. Seems like a good idea for a US Constitutional amendment.

yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
I like the 10th US Constitution amendment:

" The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States, respectively, or to the people."

Porky, the pig, would not like it.

Richard

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
But Richard, Mr. Harris is noting that legislation be limited in scope to the originator's intent, and not have the "oinkies" added behind closed doors in Committee. If some Representative wishes to introduce an appropriation for "oinky" legislation, let it stand on its own. It would not necessarily be dead; lest we forget "log rolling" i.e. I'll vote for yours if you vote for mine.

But "We the people" would be much more informed with what these clowns are doing with our money!!!!

Mr. Pullman, holder of a Master's in Public Administration, any comments?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page