RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » A Nice Subsidy

Author Topic: A Nice Subsidy
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://is.gd/rbZt5T

Maybe the two guys thought there were gandy dancers at the club.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman: I have complete empathy and understanding of the man's negative experience on the LSL. $550 could still buy you, I think. a deluxe room in a Fairmont hotel. I won't comment on his dining experience, he did that quite well.

I've always thought that an Amtrak long distance train as something for vacationers, tourists, and people wanting to see a little scenery along the way. Also, people who want to get from A to B. If getting from A to B is your only concern, than I can't see any reason why an Amtrak LD should preempt flying. The exception, at least to me, is if you live in, say, in Shelby, MT or Helper, UT and don't like the idea of driving to an airport. Especially in the winter over icy roads.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, there always have and will be "bad boys (and girls) in any 20,000 strong organization.

We had 'em on the MILW; and as the outfit continued to sink, more "bad boys" (and a "bad girl") came to light - especially several high ranking ones. So I would think this "petty stuff" the NY Post (a Murdoch publication) reports is getting far more "mileage" than it deserves.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that was really a low price purchase:

"The inspector accepted gifts, including a furnace for his church, a suit, and a pair of shoes, from the construction official, who was awarded a $58 million contract from Amtrak, it adds."

"A furnace for his church!!??" You got to be kidding me. Then OTOH, one of my sons worked in a Bible book store for a while as a college student, and they had some shoplifter issues.

Interesting the picture with the article was totally unrelated to the work in question.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page