RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Into the Archives- "The Lark"

Author Topic: Into the Archives- "The Lark"
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman, the other day I was browsing through some of the old Forum posts. One title was "A New Coast Starlight" (May, 2016). You mentioned that you took the "Lark" overnight train, LA to SF, and that it was a memorable experience. That must have been fun. I wonder if you had a chance to check out the 3-car "Lark Club" diner and, if so, your impressions.

I recently read a short bit about the Lark's descendant, the "Spirit of Calif" overnight passenger train, LA to Sacramento, 1981 to 1983. I also read that there was a suggestion, at that time, that the train be extended on to Reno, if Nevada could help with the funding. That, of course, never happened.

It's too bad the Lark wasn't successful. I think the Spirit of Calif. was probably doomed from the beginning. Still, it would have been a fun trip and much more relaxing than plane travel, avoiding all of the airport hassle.

Here is an impression of the Spirit of Calif. overnight train, from a passenger who rode it way back then:

https://is.gd/brw8j3

Richard

Posts: 1913 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two coaches and three sleeping cars! Now, that was a respectable sized train. With any decent load factor, it justified its existence. Wonder what its loading would have been if it had gone to San Francisco and left the Oakland and Sacramento passengers to cross the bay on a bus? I would suspect that would have increased the passenger count. Having played San Francisco to Fresno quite a few times, the worst part of the trip was the bus across the bay and the Oakland transfer.

I still think the CAHSR priority should have been Bakersfield to Los Angeles. Even if the system in total collapsed, if you approach or beat bus time, in other words, have a railroad capable of 79 mph without freight train interference, just by getting rid of the Bakersfield transfer to bus, you would likely double or triple ridership on the current trains down the valley, and justify adding a couple more.

Posts: 2810 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Broken Oar Restaurant Moab--

Three Sleepers on the Spirit. yeah wow.

But be that as it may, CALTRAN was well advised to add a San Joaquin frequency in its place.

When I rode the Lark, both directions, Dec '63, the Lark Club was in the consist along with eight Sleepers (and one articulated Coach). Dining service was excellent, and the Southbound trip opening the shade on a crystal clear morning near Oxnard and the Pacific was a sight to behold and a high point of my '60's vintage riding.

Posts: 9995 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, Mr. Norman. If you had just been awake 30 minutes earlier you could have enjoyed the view of the Pacific with nothing between you and your Roomette except a now eroding cliff.

My father often took The Lark to and from San Francisco when on Business. We would drop him at the Glendale SP Station and he would be in the Bar Car (Articulated) waving before they pulled out. That was when it went directly to Third Street Station in "The City".

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.S. There is a trendy restaurant in the ever so trendy "Funk Zone" called The Lark. They use the SP signage. I have no idea how good it might or might not be.

Frank

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A photo of the Lark Club dining car:

-

The Lark had (at least at one time) an 18 car consist. All but 5 were sleepers. Of those 5, 3 cars were the "Lark Club".

Why was the Lark paint scheme a two-tone gray?

I wonder if an all-Pullman passenger train could be seen again, somewhere in the US? It would have to have limited stops with a variety of first class sleepers. Also, quality dining and lounge cars with excellent food. Probably a pipe dream.

Richard

Posts: 1913 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard yes, The Lark along with other SP overnight trains had a "two tone" Gray livery - quite similar as NYC had for carbon steel cars.

This was simply for "differentiation" or when SP cared about passenger trains up until about '57.

Regarding an all sleeping car train? There have been enough flopped Luxotrains in the US to clearly show that the concept has no viability to it.

"Dressing for Dinner?" Even cruise ships have scrapped their "formal nights". "Dressing for anything" is simply limited to "by invitation" events nowadays. There are exceptions; such as concerts in Salzburg. Dress code today at most any public gathering is no more than "cover the body" sporting event. I have always held that for concerts "the musicians have dressed up for the patrons, they deserve the same in return."

Posts: 9995 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
In the past, upon attending a concert by the Santa Rosa symphony, I would wear a sport coat and tie. With the last time I attended a concert, I noticed few who had on some sort of formal attire.

How about a US version of the Caledonian Sleeper?

Richard

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page