RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » My short Southwest Chief trip (#3)

Author Topic: My short Southwest Chief trip (#3)
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, now you've read my post about a great eastbound trip on #4, so here's the return westbound trip on #3.

November 30

We arrived early in Alberquerque (ABQ). My dad and I wanted to take some pictures of the still existing semaphores in Bernalio, that are quite close to interstate 25. Then we headed to the rental car place and were taken to the train station.

For anyone who travels the SWC, you'll notice the beautiful new "train" station at ABQ, built after the historic Santa Fe depot burned down. But it isn't used for the train! Passengers have to wait either outside or in an incredibly dumpy old Santa Fe building I believe used to be a maintenence or crew building, or even the old dispatching offices. Many people ask why they can't use the new station. The only response ever given is that it's only for buses. So if BNSF decides to abandon/sell the line, Amtrak seems ready, as they don't have anywhere near adequate facilaties at one of the major stops of the SWC. Anyway, we chose to wait outside and avoid the dank, dingy station.

When we got to the platform to look around, an old "Pepsi Can" Amtrak loco #518, now in phase IV paint, was doing some switching for the ariving SWC. Two roadrailers were going to be added to the consist. Then #3 arrived a bit ahead of schedule, which is very common for ABQ.

This #3 looked rather shabby just pulling into the station. I quickly spotted which cars were Superliner I's and II's. Drat! another Superliner I sleeper for us, the 32044. This car certainly had to have been involved in some wreck during it's lifetime as most of the bottom skirting was badly bent and some pannels actually were marked with chalk, marking possible future repair locations. I guess Amtrak was really pressed for cars during this holiday travel weekend so they may have put cars that were scheduled to receive repair work into revenue service a bit earlier then normal.

When we boarded, the initial smell was horendous. As typical for Amtrak though, as Superliner toilet tanks fill, the accompanying smell always is a problem. I preferred the Hi-Levels toilets that dumped onto the tracks, they never clogged or stunk, however the environmental issues related to dumping on tracks are also less then desierable. So I guess there's no perfect solution for waste on a train.

I quickly went upstairs and put my suitcase in the room. The room wasn't too clean and there was no trash bag either. So I told the attendant about the problems. He said he'd do what he could.

What was even more upsetting was that the other Sleeper, 32002, had been completely reupholstered, looked much cleaner, and even smelled better.

So inorder to avoid our "stinky" sleeper, my sister and I headed to the lounge. As we walked through the train, I wrote down the different car numbers. The diner, a Superliner II, #38046 was beautiful, very clean and smelled wonderful. Then the lounge. Wow! It was #33000! The first Superliner lounge. It looked pretty good considering the age. I wondered if it was my age, as I was born in 1979, around the time of the Superliners. So as my sister sat in the lounge watching the windows being cleaned at ABQ, I went to check out the coaches. What another surprise! In the consist of three coaches the one that caught my eye was #34000. Another Superliner first. So this train could be somewhat historical, Sleeper 32002, Lounge 33000, and Coach 34000. Some rather old cars that certainly have proven themselves to Amtrak.

As the departure time passed and we still sat at ABQ, losing time for no appearant reason, I turned on my scanner to see what was going on. What I found out was somewhat disturbing. The DEA(Drug Enforcement Agency) was questioning a group of passengers. The ones next to my sleeping room! So I imediately headed back for my room. As I approaced I saw several police questioning the group. I went into my room to overhear the conversation. When the police found $1100 in the posesion of one member they were convinced and took him off the train. I'm not sure if any drugs were ever found as I missed most of the incident while I was siting in the lounge. But this nusiance turned out to be about an hour delay.

But since I'm not to thrilled about the very early morning arrival into Fullerton, this wasn't too much of a problem for me. Perhaps we'll even get breakfast, as the #3 breakfast menu is usualy limited into Los Angeles.

So, once we were under way, I decided to go back to the lounge to avoid the smell in my sleeper. There the native american guide performed a musical show. The only criticism I have is that his speaker was way too loud and there was no way to turn it down. But other than that it was ever entertaing, even though I've heard the same overall thing many times.

As diner approached I went back to my room to get the attendent to make up our beds while we ate. So since I didn't see him right away I pulled the call button(or as my family calls it the "do do button"). But it didn't work! So now I had to find him, which I thought wouldn't be too dificult. However after I searched the entire car and the other sleeper with no success, I was getting quite frustrated. But then I realized that since he made the diner reservations for us that maybe he planned to make the beds while we ate. This is what Jackie did for us on the previous #4 trip. So I gave up my search and went to diner.

Dinner was fabulous as ever. This time I ordered the chicken, and it was quite good. Desert was equally excellent. So after a nice meal, I headed to my room hoping to relax in our beds.

Oops, nothing was done! No beds and still no trash bag. Now I was really upset. So I went to find the attendent, who finally appeared and started making up beds. He had not done any during the dinner hours and now everyone wanted thier beds made up. He never apologized or said where he was, he just said he was busy.

This wasn't the answer I was looking for so I finally found out that there was someone in the handicapped room that really was a strain on our attendent. I told him he wasn't a nurse and that he didn't have to do all that work. He laughed and agreed. But I'm not too sure about his story as when I, earlier, looked for him he wasn't anywhere near the handicapped room or anywhere in our car. And I checked everywhere, including the bathrooms and handicapped room.

I don't think I ever did hit it off right with our attendent. Something important, if you want good service. But, with the outstanding job done by Jackie, I don't think he'd ever reach that level.

During the night I made it a point to stay up and watch the spectacular forest scenery in northern Arizona. It was raining ice in Gallup, so I expected snow in Flagstaff, and Williams. But it never did while we passed through. I hope it did eventually snow though as they need the precipitation. I enjoy listening to my scanner and watching the signals along the line at night, but with the smooth high desert track, I eventually fell asleep.

When I awoke near Victorville, I prepared for breakfast which would start at five am. Breakfast was good and I enjoyed every moment in the diner on this trip, as I usualy do on most trips. We arrived in Fullerton almost an hour late and I looked over the consist. It surprised me that not only my sleeper, but many other cars, including coach 34000, was the amount of damage and bending of the skirting on these Superliners. It is trully sad when Amtrak can't afford to repair and maintain their existing fleet of tried and true workhorses.

Our train pretty much stayed an hour late throughout the trip, however it looked like we'd make it up in Arizona, although we never did. But lateness never bothers me. It's a lack of quality service and equipment that bothers me. And for the price of a sleeper, even on shorter travel distances, nowadays, you'd expect a certain level of service. My #4 trip met and even exceeded my expectations, but alas the #3 never seemed to meet them. What a difference a train number and a few days makes. That is what anyone can expect with Amtrak. And I suspect this is what Amtrak will always be like. It has in the past and it continues to be this way now.

I hoped you enjoyed my brief travelog and I welcome comments and questions. I posted the #3 consist below for those, like myself, who enjoy that sort of thing. Sorry about mising the middle locos, but I do have video tape and if anyone really needs them, which I doubt, I can watch it and then post the numbers.

Locos:
?
?

Baggage:

Superliners I and II's)
Dorm(II) 39019
Sleeper(I) 32044
Sleeper(I) 32002[Reupholstered to II colors]
Diner(II) 38046
Lounge(I) 33000
Coach Smoking(I) 31543
Coach(I) 34012
Coach(I) 34000

Mail and Express:
20 cars

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the story. Obviously your car was not pleasant to be in, but I'm wondering what you have against Superliner I cars in general. They have one feature that I feel is vastly superior to any Superliner II, and that is the rest room at the top of the stairs. It is configured differently from any other Superliner restroom. It has a window, and an extra square foot of floor space. The TP is right in front of you instead of in a cubbyhole behind your hip. I'll take that Superliner I rest room over a Superliner II anytime.

Other than that, the differences are mainly superficial. A Superliner I that is well maintained (a big IF, to be sure) is every bit as good as a Superliner II. Some think the Superliner I has a smoother ride, but I haven't noticed any difference myself.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad about your "fragrant" trip. I've been on a few myself.

On my recent Chicago to L.A. trek on the Southwest Chief, I had no major problems. The train ran late and my window wasn't the cleanest. But my standard room was in a nicely refurbished Superliner I, with bluish-purple seats and curtains. Not to mention that great little closet (which is sorely missing from Superliner IIs).

The attendant, Efren Cuadro, kept everything tidy and clean. The dining car crew had their act together. And to my surprise, one of the Amish girls on the train flirted with me in the Sightseer Lounge clear across three states (until several of her brethren noticed and nailed me with the Evil Eye).

So I had a fine time. But like every trip on Amtrak, it's totally the luck of the draw.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy

I don't really have anything against Superliner I's. It's just when they are not maintained propery, which is almost always the case, I have a problem. Even Superliner II's are getting bad. They're not as young as they used to be and some definately show it.

I actually prefer the flush system in the Superliner I's. The push button seems to work better and rarely clogs. Superliner II's have had clogging problems on every trip that I have been on.

I do prefer the plastic walls in II's much more then the carpet of the I's. It looks cleaner and is easier to clean.

I also like the decour of the II's much better then the extremely dated I's decour. I can't beleive Amtrak would pick such loud colors for their first Superliner sleepers. They were probably dated when they first hit the rails. The diner and lounge Superliner I's have a much better choice of fabric and colors. Can't remember about the coaches as all the ones I've seen now have been reupholstered. I think their seats were similar loud orange like the sleepers.

As for the upstairs toilet you mention.
I have read somewhere that this was originally a bedroom for the attendent. I can't remeber such things from my very early trips, so I can't verify this. The article said that because of the demand, Amtrak quickly turned this small bedroom into an upstairs toilet. So this is why I think there is a window. An interesting story.

As for the ride.
I'm actually now begining to think that the Superliner I does have a smoother ride. Although it's been awhile since I've slept in a II. But the track and it's condition play most of the part for ride qualities!

dilly,
I always wonder why there are so many Amish on the Southwest Chief. Every recent trip I've taken has had some Amish on board. I thought they couldn't travel, but maybe that was couldn't travel by plane. Is the Southwest Chief the train of choice for the Amish or do other intercity trains show equally strong patronage. Either way its good for Amtrak.

[This message has been edited by Southwest Chief (edited 12-08-2002).]

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
As for the upstairs toilet you mention.
I have read somewhere that this was originally a bedroom for the attendent.

I dont think that is correct. The upstairs Superliner I restroom is not nearly large enough to accomodate a bed. I'm pretty sure it occupies the same size space as every other Superliner rest room, but is just configured differently.

------------------
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 12-08-2002).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the Amish and the Mennonites (a related group of people), I've seen them on the Lake Shore Limited, Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, and even the Pennsylvanian.

I've heard that train travel doesn't clash with their traditions, simply because railroads are pre-20th century technology. Is it really true? I guess I should ask one of them next time.

They seem to be satisfied Amtrak customers, though. On the Empire Builder a few months ago, I came across a half dozen Amish girls sitting in a circle in an otherwise empty Sightseer Lounge. As the train rolled across the Great Plains, they began singing quiet little hymns in tiny little voices that just floated through the air.

It was one of the most amazing sounds I've ever heard. And it fit the passing landscape perfectly.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy,

You're probably right, that would be quite a small room. But I remembered reading about this somewhere so I began to try and hunt it down.

I searched through some very old Passenger Train Journals and found one all about Superliners from 1982. There are some very interesting comments. One eludes to no bathrooms being upstairs other then in the deluxe bedrooms. Kind of funny the author thought Superliner II's would be a long shot

"It's too late to redesign the cars, but if ever a second batch is built (a very remote possibility), it would be a great help to place some bathroom facilities on the upper level as well, directly above the downstairs failities."

Here's another interesting quote,

"The deluxe rooms can be easily equipped with a shower that functions in the enclosed washroom, but only one car has been so equiped."

And finally,

"I'll give the Superliner sleepers pretty high marks, but I do think for the price of the accommodations (and a planned surcharge for next summer), a little more service should be part of the deal."

Some things never change

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Interesting. Perhaps that upstairs space was originally a linen closet or something.

One trip on the CZ on the final day of the train's journey west the attendant had a lot of dirty linen and had to pile it in one rest room, rendering it unavailable.

Interesting side note, on our trip to Hawaii (my first plane ride in 20 years) I found the rest rooms were almost identical to Superliner rest rooms in layout, but updated with better faucets and a toilet paper holder you could reach while seated.

Whoever designs the Superliner III (we can always hope) needs to look to the Streamliner era for rest room design, not to the airlines. Streamliner rest rooms were HUGE by today's standards.

------------------
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Since this discussion has gone into the toilet. . . .

Is there a reason why a future generation of single-level coaches couldn't receive "big bathrooms?" As far as I recall, Amfleets and Horizons don't carry more passengers than, say, the average pre-Amtrak Budd coach.

An old-style communal restroom ("gentlemen" at one end of the car, "ladies" at the other, with several stalls, washbasins, and a small couch in each) sprawled across three-quarters of the car's width. The car aisle simply swerved around it to reach the vestibule.

Unless there's some safety issue (maybe "straight line" aisles allow quicker emergency escape), I wouldn't think that reintroducing large restrooms would cut into a car's seating capacity.

Then again, maybe the "phone booth" toilets we're now stuck with were just another instance of 1970s Amtrak design trying to imitate the airlines.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page