RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Brightline Begins Orlando September 22

Author Topic: Brightline Begins Orlando September 22
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.wesh.com/article/brightline-train-miami-orlando/45227586

First step; will there be public acceptance?

Second: Will there be sufficient public acceptance to constitute a "going concern"?

Third: If Second is negative, will some public agency "step up and bail out" the bondholders and assume operation of the service?

Time will tell.

But today, enjoy the euphoria; tomorrow, start thinking about these noted points.

Posts: 10545 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Local (as in Orlando) media is giving it a lot of positive coverage. Feels like it might catch on. Remember "All Aboard Florida" and the skepticism on here?

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1540 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Times has given good national coverage to the event.

Now Mike notes the skepticism and likely is addressing mine. Since Florida has become pro-passenger rail - as long as it is not operated by Amtrak - I have confidence it is here to stay.

However, as noted in my originating post, my skepticism on those points remains in place.

Posts: 10545 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Points Guy was given a "comp" seat, but so he says, Brightline did not interfere with the posting of his thoughts.

"We report, you decide".

Of course, we must be mindful that this site lives on airline and hotel "freebies". You don't keep them coming by being critical.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are getting a lot of free advertising in the Yahoo and Fox on line news articles.
Posts: 2930 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
The article I noted made into print today in The Times. It appears as the lead article in the National section with four photographs and no "continued on...".

The Journal, however, remains "quiet as a church mouse".

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
If you are taking a joyride to Orlando and wish a little more time on the ground, look what you can now do at MCO:

https://www.wsj.com/lifestyle/travel/airport-day-pass-orlando-seattle-8a9531e9?page=1

irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWICS, average speed end to end comes out to about 67 mph. Not quite at the low end of NEC operation.
Posts: 763 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Off-Topic for Gil (Don't know how to do private messages):

An old college bud of mine who is retired from Electric Boat up there in CT and now lives in the "triangle" of NC sent me that article today. As I told him, we are more likely to get a tornado than real hurricane or flood damage.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1540 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
There's of course nothing private within an article appearing in a nationally circulated newspaper that I passed to Ocala Mike:

Florida has become synonymous with hurricanes—but not all parts of the state are equally at risk of natural disasters.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
It will be interesting to learn of the experiences, if he chooses to report, that a Member here who I know face to face, who plans to take a joyride originating at MCO (after having driven a rental from the NARP powwow this weekend in Meridian MS). He may only be going as far South as West Palm, as I believe he will be taking #92 back to NYP and connecting onward to SPF.

As for my planned joyride, that will be during either my January or February Florida trips; probably February as January is only two nights; Feb six.

lordsigma
Member # 197916

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lordsigma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a great ride. I went all the way to Miami. Friendly service. Very high tech station with having to scan all the barcodes and what not. Has all the accoutrements of the South Florida stations - Market, Bar, premium lounge, and regular waiting area (they call it the smart lounge there.) lots of empty space in the “train station” as Brightline only uses a fraction of the space on the upper level but presumably there’s space down the road for SunRail boarding and what not. The terminal link train to Terminal A/B is on the lower level.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Jan 2022  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
It appears that Brightline has taken a page from New York at their site.

Now New York has neighborhoods with contracted names, i.e. DUMBO, or otherwise Down Under Manhattan Bridge.

Following suit, Brightline has coined SoFlo, or South Florida.

lordsigma
Member # 197916

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lordsigma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Home trip aboard 98 as opposed to 92.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Jan 2022  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page