RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » RR to FLA? Any w/sleeping & dining accomodations?

Author Topic: RR to FLA? Any w/sleeping & dining accomodations?
PTGCP
Member # 2029

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for PTGCP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We want to book a RR trip to FLA- 2 adults and 2 teenagers. Want sleeping accomodations and a dining car. Really want the RR experience included in a FLA vacation. What are our options?
OH YES = Traveling from central CT to Jacksonville or further south in FLA

[This message has been edited by PTGCP (edited 01-05-2003).]

Posts: 14 | From: Plainville, CT | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What time of year will you be traveling, what city will you be starting from, and what's your final destination in Florida?
Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!
I assume you'll be leaving from Connecticut, which sees service from the 'Vermonter' and 'Twilight Shoreliner'. These run to (and through) NYC, where you can take a 'Silver Service' train ('Meteor', 'Star'} and ride it all the way to, and down FL's eastern coast. You also have the option of the 'Palmetto', which runs the same route. These trains offer sleeping and dining services, and have Viewliner equipment. You could look into the 'Auto Train', which runs between Lorton, VA and Sanford, FL. I think you can get near the 'AT' terminal in VA by way of the 'Silver' trains.
These are just a few options. I suggest that you go to http://www.amtrak.com/destinations/index.html and see what you can find, or pick up a 2003 Travel Planner if they are available!
Hope this helps,
Eric

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited 01-05-2003).]

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a note that the Palmette no longer has sleepers.
Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding Mr.(Eric) DeMuth's posting, Auto Train does not carry passengers without an auto.

Therefore, you will have to drive down to Lorton from Hartford UNLESSS (and it has been done) you wish to arrange for a rental car in Washington and take it with you aboard AT.

I'm aware of a case of someone who rented an auto in Wash to make a one-way trip on the AT as well as a OW rental of the auto. Imagine the questions asked when the receiving auto rental station saw an auto 900 some miles away from where rented and only 50 some miles on the OD. Ticket receipts of course saved the day on that one.

However, as an AT "veteran" with some 12 trips to date, AT is Amtrak's "best foor forward" for long distance trains.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call 1-800 USA-RAIL for Amtrak info.
Posts: 216 | From: San Carlos, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superliner
Member # 1670

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superliner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok I assume your coming from Conecticut, from which area your coming from I do not know? Anyway there are numerous Acela Express, Acela Regional, and Springfeild shuttle trains (where you connect to another train) to New York where you can connect up with the Silver Star (11 am departure) or Silver Meteor (7 pm departure). Both trains have the same equipment, the Silver Star travels over smoother rail through the Carolinias and is known to have better service, the Silver Meteor is faster, but can get a bit rough and I personaly do not like the crews on that train. Coming north you will just take the Star or Meteor to NYC and connect to a train to CT.

For accomadations I suggest 2 Viewliner Standard rooms. All meals and non-alcoholic beverages are included.

[This message has been edited by Superliner (edited 01-06-2003).]

Posts: 33 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With respect of course, but I must disagree with Mr. Superliner.

While you may not have any choice in the matter owing either to availability or financial constraints, the Standard Room is only passably adequate for two adults - it is simply too small.

For your comfort and enjoyment, get a Deluze for Mama and Papa Bear. Baby Bears will be OK in the Standard, but for adults it is really only a one person room (it does have two beds, I will acknowledge).

I realize, I just raised the transportation cost of your trip by some 50%, but you are having this family travel experience for enjoyment, and not some kind of "low level assault course". The phrase "endurance contest" is reserved for coach travel, which I'm glad to learn that you are not comtemplating.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. The standard rooms can be a bit "cozy," even for two slender adults.

But I've seen even "plus-size" couples stuff themselves into a standard room. Most seemed perfectly content (although how they maneuvered themselves in and out of their beds with the door shut is something I'd rather not know).

The considerable extra cost of a deluxe can really break the bank for many potential travelers. If you can only afford standard rooms, go for them. It's far preferable to not taking the trip at all. Apart from less elbow room, the rest of your train adventure will be exactly the same.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Mr. Norman - we took a long trip last June and had a deluxe for me and my wife and standard for the two kids. This was a fine arrangement for all. I think that two adults doing an overnight in a standard would not be very comfortable.

Mark

Posts: 102 | From: Fort Worth,TX,USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Newtimes
Member # 2037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Newtimes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good trip - Bad trip. My wife and I just returned from a round trip (Charleston, SC- Ft. Lauderdale). It was a scheduled 13 hour trip each way during daylight so I thought we would not need a sleeper. Wrong.

We took coach CHS-FTL on the Silver Meteor (12/29/02)and it was not an enjoyable trip. We had to walk through the Cafe car that also doubled as the smoking area of the train. The smoke was so thick we had to hold our breath walking to/from the diner. We skipped lunch in the Diner because of the smoke in the Cafe car.

The coach seats were torn, my wife's leg reast was broken and the few minutes I was in the Cafe car ordering a beverage I returned smelling of smoke.

Now the good news. I purchased a standard sleeper on the return (Meteor 1/3/03) and it was great. I really wanted my wife to enjoy it so we could have more rail travel trips.

The service was great, the attendant and conducter were very pleasant and it was the saving grace for me. The salmon dinner was as good as I have ever eaten.

This time the Cafe car has a plexiglass area defined for smokers that worked fine. My wife loved the sleeper and the whole trip back. We read, talked and had a wonderful time. There was a stark difference in the condition of the coach and sleeper cars.

Enjoy your trip. Our return trip made it worthwhile.

Russell McBride

Posts: 31 | From: Lynchburg, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Standard vs Deluxe bedroom: Mr. Norman prefers the Deluxe. "Superliner" is OK with the Standard.

Bottom line: If you are reasonably agile, the Standard, while tight, is fine for most people, and much easier on the personal bank account. (The upper bunk is best used by the smaller of two individuals.) If you need wiggle room and cost isn't a problem, go Deluxe.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page